Default The Joker #3 Preview

The Joker #3 Preview
    Writer: James Tynion IV
    Artist: Guillem March
    Backup Writers: James Tynion IV & Sam Johns
    Backup Artist: Mirka Andolfo

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

This series is like watching a train wreck unfold

Tynion's doing a good job with the horror aspect, but I kind of miss fun Joker.

Also this is probably the most relevant Killing Joke has been in a while.

Amazing Member

Visual this keeps looking absolutly great and issue 2 was way better than 1.

I like the bigger focus on Jim and Jokers History, a underrated thing imo.
    In the synopsis the A-Day is mentioned...im surprised, i thought we wouldnt find out more about this...cool.

Just finished reading the Joker part
    This is by a far the best thing that DC is producing right now
    This is great stuff

I thought it was decent. Much better than his main bat book. Having said that chips red hood story in urban legends is better than this!

Amazing Member

This is still such a wild ride, im liking it.
    Damn that Killing Joke "flashback", visual so incredible.
    Gullem March drew Joker in one Panel 3 times that showed every time another part of him.
    The sinister, the Deranged and the Diabolical.
    I dont know if that was the idea, but noticed that looking at that one panel right away.
    Maybe thats just me, but i felt like that was done on purpose.

I am not sure if make Gordon "ally" with the Joker is a good idea after what he done to him and Barbara..

Is like if you want to make him(a joker victim) help his torturer against Bane Cult

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I am not sure if make Gordon "ally" with the Joker is a good idea after what he done to him and Barbara..

Is like if you want to make him(a joker victim) help his torturer against Bane Cult
    I'll be interested to see how Tynion writes the next issue. Having Gordon internally debate whether to just let the assassins kill Joker but ultimately deciding that would be wrong before helping Joker escape would be kind of predictable and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

I didn't take it as ally more as Gordon has a pistol where as Joker had an army of mercenaries with Machine Guns. Gordon very well could have shot Joker but I have a feeling he thought against it when guns were pulled on him. I actually think it looks like Gordon severely underestimated Joker, should have brought his super heavy armor with him....no seriously, what was he thinking just bringing a simple pistol, if you find the joker you come packing or you don't go at all.

By the way I'm just going to say this now that I fully expect Vengeance to fight Jace Fox at some point. You can't tell me that they didn't create a whole new Bane without thinking of the idea that they would fight the all new Batman they are setting up at the same time. I do hope we get to learn more about her, personally I think all the sides hunting joker at this time are very interesting and could have a lot of story potential.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    personally I think all the sides hunting joker at this time are very interesting and could have a lot of story potential.
    This is just another Joker wank that has gone on for far too long.

After rereading it I really want to highlight the obvious greatness of the issue and series
    This is not really a Joker comic, this is a Jim Gordon comic, it just named Joker because it is more marketable that way but as such it does a really damn good job at portraying Gordon as the main protagonist.
    Not including the Super-Heavy storyline where Gordon becomes Batman this is one of the deepest that we have gotten with the character in quite a long time and I for one am really enjoying it because Gordon is just an excellent character.

I also love the love of continuity in this series from the references from Killer Joke to Batgirl, it makes me wonder that if the series continues that we might get something more referential to his time as Batman or even when he was infected by TBWL

About the daughter of Bane reveal. I don't like her design, it looks like Pantha from Teen Titans. hell maybe the plot twist will be that she is Pantha but I doubt it. Cant say much more about the character until she does more.

and the Bluebird/Punchline sidestory, Its fine, the pacing is way too slow for this format but I don't hate it.

Bluebird

I dig the backup, but the eight pages is kinda hurting it, so we’re left with a scenario over three months of Bluebird finding the dorm room at the college, being ambushed by Punchline’s friend, and escaping her deathtrap.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    I dig the backup, but the eight pages is kinda hurting it, so we’re left with a scenario over three months of Bluebird finding the dorm room at the college, being ambushed by Punchline’s friend, and escaping her deathtrap.
    Yeah, the Punchline back-up is what originally interested me in this series, though I am loving the main story as well. But I feel like these eight pages aren't enough. Every time the story starts to build momentum, it comes to a grinding halt as the story is over until next month.

I hope when the Punchline story is over, they release a collection with the One-Shot, and all the back-up chapters. Maybe toss in the short story from the Joker 80th special. I feel like it'll end up reading a lot better when altogether, rather than piecemeal as we're currently getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    About the daughter of Bane reveal. I don't like her design, it looks like Pantha from Teen Titans. hell maybe the plot twist will be that she is Pantha but I doubt it. Cant say much more about the character until she does more.
    This character still feels totally unnecessary to me, but I guess leotards aren't quite out of fashion.