Mighty Member

Default Sargon the Sorcerer

First he was a good guy, then he was a bad guy and then (I think) became a good guy again. Is he doing anything these days?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    First he was a good guy, then he was a bad guy and then (I think) became a good guy again. Is he doing anything these days?
    Well, I think he "died" in the pages of Swamp Thing during CoIE, then wasn't he a woman during the New52?

Retired

Mike Friedrich brought back Sargon to play a villain in two issues of THE FLASH--186 (March 1969) and 207 (June 1971). But then Mike redeemed Sargon in his Starbreaker Trilogy, when the Sorceror came to help the World's Greatest Super-Heroes save the Earth in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 97 (March 1972) and 98 (May 1972). However, I think Sargon was a little sketchy after that and couldn't be trusted. At least, I recall that's how it was in SWAMP THING during the Crisis.

I only got to see Sargon in Swamp Thing, where he got roasted with Zatara.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, I think he "died" in the pages of Swamp Thing during CoIE, then wasn't he a woman during the New52?
    That was his daughter.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

He appeared in that mini series a few years back that starred most of DC magic users as high schoolers. I forget the name of it now. His Ruby of Life was mentioned a few times in Justice League Dark. Hopefully he shows up there soon. I love the character. I even have a custom action figure of him.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Wouldn't mind seeing him return as a high-level sorceror on par with Zatara, Etrigan, Constantine and Dr. Fate. I'd have him be more morally ambiguous, due to the Ruby of Life's nature (is it mischievous or malicious?)

Ultimate Member

There was a throwaway line about Nommo/Dr. Mist creating gems of power back in the day, and I always thought it would be neat if the Ruby of Life was one such item. It's a neat magical trinket, and I particularly liked that Sargon, despite the gem, wasn't really a 'do-whatever-the-hell-I-want' sort of sorcerer like Zatanna or Dr. Fate, but had a very specific and discrete ability, derived from the Ruby of Life (usually used to animate objects).

Mighty Member

Verrry interesting! How about Sargon's arch enemy, The Blue Lama? Is she still in Limbo?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Verrry interesting! How about Sargon's arch enemy, The Blue Lama? Is she still in Limbo?
    I don't think she's been seen since her original appearances in the Golden Age. Too bad. She was a great baddy!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XX (October 1986)

This got posted in a different thread, but I figured it was worth posting here as well:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    That is some lovely Howard Purcell artwork.

Lando is very similar to another Purcell creation - Sargon the Sorcerer. Any idea which character was created first?
    World's Best Comics #1 had an approximate on-sale date of February 10, 1941 (according to Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics); January 21, 1941 was the approximate on-sale date for All-American Comics #24 which was when Sargon the Sorcerer was announced.

Incredible Member

Is this the same guy who appeared on the final episode from CoIE in the Arrowverse?