Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Retired

Default Rewatching LOIS & CLARK

Rewatching LOIS & CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN from the beginning.

--season 1, 1993 - 1994--

The stars:

In the pilot, Clark has a mullet--as does Superman later when he finally makes an appearance. Perhaps Dean Cain didn't want to commit to a short haircut until he knew the series was picked up. However, Teri Hatcher had to cut her hair for the part of Lois Lane (producer Deborah Joy Levine insisted that Lois would have a utilitarian hairstyle as an on-the-go reporter). Hatcher kept her pony tail in the glove compartment of her car for years.

There's a nice scene between Hatcher and Melanie Mayron playing Detective Reed (whose hair is a hot mess) when they're tied up and Reed admires Lane's hair, how it bounces. It really is something the way it moves and shines--Dorothy Hamill would be envious.

Superman's slicked back hair in the show is functional--as they were blasting a lot of air at Cain in the flying sequences--so this way, with so much gel in his hair, it was never out of place.

The costume that Martha Kent puts together for the pilot only lasts for that episode. Through the series they kept tweaking the costume design, experimenting with fabrics. Although at the time, I didn't think much of the outfit, I now find it a lot more satisfying than other costumes we've seen in live action. After a few episodes, they figured out how to tuck the cape into the suit, so it looks like how it should in the comic books. And Superman has the classic S shield design.

Perhaps because these costumes are low budget efforts, they could keep fussing with the outfit until they had it right for the show. In today's world, the costumes cost so much money to make, they're not willing to abandon them and then they will stick with bad designs for far too long.

Clark is Clark Kent first and foremost. He comes to Metropolis to work on the Daily Planet--becoming a costumed super-hero is an afterthought. He's apparently always worn glasses. In SUPERGIRL, Dean Cain's Jeremiah Danvers gave Kara the glasses when she started to have problems with her super-vision--maybe Clark uses the glasses for the same purpose.

This is completely different from the John Byrne version. There Clark was flying around, without glasses, being a super-hero, just not in costume. Clark, Martha and Jonathan create the reinvented persona of Clark Kent--glasses, slicked back hair--to hide the fact that he's Superman.

Apparently Dean Cain was a big heart throb at the time, which is ultimately what won him the role, despite having little experience. And while many might say he was not a great Superman, I think that was hardly the main consideration when casting him. It's LOIS & CLARK--that's what the show is about. Getting the right guy to play Clark opposite Hatcher's Lois, that was the whole point.

Superman is rather stiff by contrast to Clark--he hasn't much dimension--Lois loves him because he's Superman. Even though this is a 1990s series, the way that the Man of Tomorrow presents himself in Metropolis is like the Superman of the 1960s. He makes public appearance, gives interviews. Clark never seems to worry that so much exposure will blow his cover.

While the show might have changed its focus in later seasons, the first season is this romantic comedy-adventure between Lois and Clark. It's about Lois slowly coming to love Clark Kent. It's the "will they, won't they" that makes the show work--teasing that story out for as long as possible was important. And Teri Hatcher is the key. She brings us into the story and breathes new life into an old love story.

Retired

The season 1 supporting cast:

Lucy Lane (Elizabeth Barondes), the younger sister of Lois, seems to have been intended as a series regular, but she exits after the first three episodes. She also had a developing romance with Jimmy Olsen, so her departure leaves him without a love interest.

As played by Michael Landes in the first season, Jim has great chemistry with Lane Smith's Perry White. Lane Smith is so impressive as an actor. The things he does in some scenes are dynamite. Giving him the catch-phrase "Shades of Elvis" instead of "Great Caesar's Ghost" introduces his amazing fascination with Elvis.

I was not too happy to have Luthor as a series regular when the show originally aired, but I quite enjoyed John Shea's wicked portrayal of the villain this time around. He has three different flunkies, in different episodes (they never seem to meet one another)--there's Asabi, Nigel St. John and Mrs. Cox. The latter is the kind of female assistant that comic book Luthor prefers.

Tracy Scoggins as Cat Grant is hit or miss for me. She's all a bit too much at times--but that's the 1990s for you, when T.V. shows didn't know the meaning of the word subtle. When she tones it down a bit, she's a more interesting character. I wonder how Ms Scoggins felt about the way she was used in the series. She's already gone by the final two episodes of this season, not to return.

In a minor supporting role, Miguel Sandovel is Eduardo Frieze, a Daily Planet staffer in episodes 4 and 9.

Henderson is played by two African-American actors--Mel Winkler in the pilot (he also voiced Henderson for SUPERMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES) and Brent Jennings in episode 3. But Richard Belzer enters as Inspector Henderson in episode 12 and plays him in three other episodes this season, including the season finale. Belzer had previously appeared in the 1990 series of THE FLASH as T.V. reporter Joe Kline.

The delinquent teen-ager, Jack is introduced in "Foundling," episode 16, and goes on to work at the Daily Planet. Played by Chris Demetral, Jack seems to be the first person at the Planet to make the connection between Clark and Superman. He doesn't say it out loud but he communicates his suspicions with a look. However, Jack is so grateful to Clark that he would never say anything--he had the potential to be the Pete Ross of the series.

Phyllis Coates--Lois Lane from THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, season 1--appears as Lois Lane's mom in the final episode of season 1, when Lois is going to marry Luthor.

In that season finale, James Earl Jones plays Franklin Stern who buys the Daily Planet and revives it after Luthor had destroyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Jack is so grateful to Clark that he would never say anything--he had the potential to be the Pete Ross of the series.
    What do you mean?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What do you mean?
    Pete Ross--good friend who knows Clark is Superman, but Clark doesn't know he knows; helps Clark in sticky identity situations without Clark knowing that he's helping him out.

Ah yeah, nevermind

BANNED

I think the reason Lois is drawn to Superman in this first season are a bit more complex than just “because he’s Superman.”

Clark as Superman is in complete awe of her work as a journalist and he treats her as very special to him as Superman. Clark as Clark, at this point in time, goes out of his way to compete with her and tease her. Which isn’t bad or wrong. Obviously, as time goes on, Clark starts to more openly pursue Lois as Clark and express how he feels. But I think it’s fairly obvious in this first season why her feelings lie with Superman. Particularly in the context of this show where Lois has been betrayed by a LOT of men when she meets Clark/Superman. Superman is the good man she had lost hope existed.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-11-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Totally forgot about the season one finale. I know the show was essentially a primetime soap opera starring Superman and Lois, but by golly that was an over-the-top melodramatic plot.

The first season of that show had a lot of charms. Unfortunately, its quality fell off a cliff Game of Thrones-style in the latter seasons.

Retired

Superman seems uncomplicated in the first season. Of course, he's a complete mystery so that's something to investigate for the Planet. But the way he presents himself is so simple and direct, he doesn't appear to be anything but a great guy who cares about people. Someone anyone should in love with fall. And it's not just Lois, everyone in Metropolis (except Lex) loves this guy. They look at him with wonder and admiration. That public persona really reminds me of the classic comic books and the George Reeves series. Clark, by contrast being a mere human, falls short of the mark too often for Lois to fall for him just like that >snap<.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Particularly in the context of this show where Lois has been betrayed by a LOT of men when she meets Clark/Superman. Superman is the good man she had lost hope existed.
    She only mentions Claude, I don't recall any other men having betrayed her at this point (though Lex will soon follow).

The first season of that show had a lot of charms. Unfortunately, its quality fell off a cliff Game of Thrones-style in the latter seasons.
    Yeah, it really amped up the camp later. I do have a fondness for it, still. But will-they-won't-they has a limited lifespan to me. And they could have had them get together and still have a great show (for some reason so many think once the couple is together there's nothing interesting left). But they tried to have it both ways. Moved more fairly quickly (for tv) on getting them together and getting to the proposal, and then had so many freaking stupid delaying tactic over them getting married. Including two bouts of amnesia and frog-eating clone, as I recall. Fake out wedding and long-lost-arranged-marriage-fiancee appearing and then they finally got married in an episode titled "Swear to God, This Time We're Not Kidding." Then a last-ditch bout of stupidity in delaying consummation (a lot of people liked that ep, but I definitely did not) with an issue with their souls and H.G. Wells taking them on a time travel trip. I think.

The ending was a cliffhanger, too, but at least it was a happy one (though, unfortunately, their plans were for a speed-aging temporary-theirs baby - well, I guess DC decided to go with those stupid ideas).

I enjoyed the characters, though. And thought the actors had great on-screen chemistry. Especially liked TH's Lois Lane.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-12-2021 at 11:16 AM.

The intro theme was great.

But that synthesizer scoring tho...!

Yikes

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Lane Smith has forever influenced the way I think about and write Perry White.

Since you are rewatching the series please oh please tell me what episode has Lois in the newsroom telling of her nightmare and she wakes up and says something random like "we don't serve anchovies" . For the life of me I can't recall if and I thought Hatcher was so adorable in that scene

Retired

I don't recall seeing an episode in the first season where Lois has a dream. But I've started on the second season, so I'll be on the watch for it.

Never noticed the synth music, but I'll be paying attention now--like the theme music.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I really wish that when the new creative team come on in S2 that they hadnt gotten rid of Cat Grant. She was so much fun in S1 and a great foil to Lois.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I really wish that when the new creative team come on in S2 that they hadnt gotten rid of Cat Grant. She was so much fun in S1 and a great foil to Lois.
    Oh I adored Cat, she was such a great character on the show, shame they got rid of her.