Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Superman vs high frequency sounds.

If Superman has super hearing ( of the magnitude that he can hear things from hundreds of miles away.) wouldn’t high frequency sound attacks hurt him? They probably wouldn’t kill him, but they might disorientate him. It’s a logical weakness given what his powers are.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't remember the specifics, but the best example I know of sound being used to hurt Superman would be in Unchained.

Although, I imagine invulnerability is the concept that largely protects him from that which should cause damage to his proportionately powerful body.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

In fact, it's the opposite.
    1: every cell in the superman body is invulnerable (it would take a sound capable of destroying a planet to cause damage)
    2: superman's brain professes information millions of times more faster than a supercomputer (it is almost impossible to overload it).
    3: superman is in full control of t audition, listen what you want.

Incredible Member

Snyder's MOS movie showed how Superman had to train himself to acclimate to sound. In comics I think that it's kind of like an off panel assumption.

I think a close-up, very high sound could disorient him, but not really "hurt" him the way it would someone else. Think Black Canary or Silver Banshee. But Supes might be able to block out the superhearing and not be affected once he gets his bearings.

Far away sonics, I do not think would bother him. He might be able to tune in to them to know they are happening, but then he could tune back out. This would be harder to do up close when someone sneak-attacks him.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I say yes. Someone like Black Canary and Silver Banshee should be able to do some type of harm to him if they try hard enough.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    In fact, it's the opposite.
    1: every cell in the superman body is invulnerable (it would take a sound capable of destroying a planet to cause damage)
    2: superman's brain professes information millions of times more faster than a supercomputer (it is almost impossible to overload it).
    3: superman is in full control of t audition, listen what you want.
    This right here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    If Superman has super hearing ( of the magnitude that he can hear things from hundreds of miles away.) wouldn’t high frequency sound attacks hurt him? They probably wouldn’t kill him, but they might disorientate him. It’s a logical weakness given what his powers are.
    Not really, at least in my opinion. Kryptonians are not only invulnerable through and through, and they sundip. Given that the sound within the sun is vastly louder than anything possible on Earth, I doubt any Kryptonian would be in the least bit inconvenienced by it.

That said, I can recall one instance where it did work, on Power Girl in Gen Lost. That one had all sort of wrong associated

with it, (given that she can take the noise in the sun, why would she be effected by a much less intense sound generated by a Rocket Red). And it's been used on SM as well. Don't know about SG. Point is, given their other powers, it makes no sense.

Then again, neither red suns nor Kryptonite really make much sense either as weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Not really, at least in my opinion. Kryptonians are not only invulnerable through and through, and they sundip. Given that the sound within the sun is vastly louder than anything possible on Earth, I doubt any Kryptonian would be in the least bit inconvenienced by it.

That said, I can recall one instance where it did work, on Power Girl in Gen Lost. That one had all sort of wrong associated

with it, (given that she can take the noise in the sun, why would she be effected by a much less intense sound generated by a Rocket Red). And it's been used on SM as well. Don't know about SG. Point is, given their other powers, it makes no sense.

Then again, neither red suns nor Kryptonite really make much sense either as weaknesses.
    How loud is the inside of the sun?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    How loud is the inside of the sun?
    Best estimate for the sound on the surface of the sun is 329 decibels, which would kill you instantly, (apart from radiation and heat, and trauma).

The band Deep Purple had 117 decibels. It knocked unconscious some people standing too near.