Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Like people have said, he's invulnerable, so it shouldn't hurt him. And the fact he has super-hearing should give him an edge.

In old comics, there were times when Superman's powers were so cranked up--or his control over them was lost--that he was overwhelmed by all his super-senses. I could see that as being the weakness--that he can't control what he's hearing and so it's a cacophonous storm of sounds he can't sort out.

But the Man of Tomorrow used to have super-shouting, not to mention super-ventriloquism. So really he should be able to shout better than some of the best shouters--because he's so super-powerful that there would be no limit to the amount of sound he can generate. Remember also his super-breath. Presumably there's a limit to Black Canary's lung capacity.

I seem to recall a story or two where Superman shouted so loud it caused massive destruction.

SUPERMAN'S SUPER-LAUGHING > BLACK CANARY'S SONIC CRY

Black Canary's sonic scream is magic in nature.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    My man.

Generally speaking, his ears and internal organs are as indestructible as the rest of him. He's not going to suffer much physical damage from a really loud sound. He's been at the epicenter of bombs (even nuclear ones) going off and been fine. Those are loud, you know. Clark deals with loud sounds all the time and at worst he gets a headache, maybe even an earbleed, but he's not down for the count unless he has to job.

Yes, when a man who can survive a nuclear blast (sound and all) is taken out by a screaming hero who can level a few blocks with their voice, he's jobbing.

People like Dinah or Banshee would give Clark a massive headache and possibly even disorient him, absolutely, but that power alone isn't going to do much else to the Man of Steel if we're looking at both of their power sets fairly. I understand everyone wants to find the way their hero can beat Superman, but sadly Dinah's is to call in a friend. Martial arts aren't going to do much to him and her cry just isn't in his weight class.

Some comic evidence from Injustice or the like isn't going to sway me because we've all seen published material which is absolute dogshit, such as Clark one-punching a hole in Diana in DCeased.
    (Black Canary is louder than and atomic bomb... she said her scream tops out at 300 dB )

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

SUPERMAN'S SUPER-LAUGHING > BLACK CANARY'S SONIC CRY
    It slips through the cracks, but yeah

Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    (Black Canary is louder than and atomic bomb... she said her scream tops out at 300 dB )
    Writers like to say things, sure, but until that keeps happening it's just hearsay-- kind of like Damage being stronger than Superman or Wonder Woman. It's going to take more than jobbing in an issue to convince me otherwise-- and frankly, I hate the idea of Dinah being that strong. It doesn't feel organic to her character at all. Her strength is from her training and skill with the cry being something strong she neglects and doesn't really need.

Having her be able to scream a nuclear-level blast is just dumb, and I've never really seen it actually anywhere near that strong.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I guess just like Superman/Flash having a race, Supes and Canary will have to have a screaming match.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I guess just like Superman/Flash having a race, Supes and Canary will have to have a screaming match.
    I'm more than happy to say Dinah has the more destructive voice and can focus it better. I just don't think it's an A-bomb nor does it really do enough damage to really harm Clark. She's not in that weight class.

Incredible Member

Mighty Member

Black Canary's screams are magic now? Ah magic, the go to when something should challenge Superman. Next we'll learn that Dinah brushes her teeth with Kryptonite flavored toothpaste.

I'd like to think that Canary pulls her punches like Superman. That said, I wouldn't mind if her at her loudest can disorient Superman for a bit (i.e. buy time)

Writers like to say things, sure, but until that keeps happening it's just hearsay-- kind of like Damage being stronger than Superman or Wonder Woman. It's going to take more than jobbing in an issue to convince me otherwise-- and frankly, I hate the idea of Dinah being that strong. It doesn't feel organic to her character at all. Her strength is from her training and skill with the cry being something strong she neglects and doesn't really need.

Having her be able to scream a nuclear-level blast is just dumb, and I've never really seen it actually anywhere near that strong.
    Because of how sound is measured, 300 dB is between 100 to 1,000,000 times louder than a nuclear explosion.

Edit: Incase anyone was wondering what is comparable to a 300 dB noise, that's Tungaska meteor territory. So bye-bye city and anything within 830 square miles I guess...
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 05-12-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Because of how sound is measured, 300 dB is between 100 to 1,000,000 times louder than a nuclear explosion.

Edit: Incase anyone was wondering what is comparable to a 300 dB noise, that's Tungaska meteor territory. So bye-bye city and anything within 830 square miles I guess...
    I wonder if the writer understood that when they wrote it. lol

They probably Googled "the loudest thing on earth" and gave her the decibel range on that. XD

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Black Canary's sonic scream is magic in nature.
    Is not also the Silver Banshee's wail of woe?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    If Superman has super hearing ( of the magnitude that he can hear things from hundreds of miles away.) wouldn’t high frequency sound attacks hurt him? They probably wouldn’t kill him, but they might disorientate him. It’s a logical weakness given what his powers are.
    Not really, at least in my opinion. Kryptonians are not only invulnerable through and through, and they sundip. Given that the sound within the sun is vastly louder than anything possible on Earth, I doubt any Kryptonian would be in the least bit inconvenienced by it.

That said, I can recall one instance where it did work, on Power Girl in Gen Lost. That one had all sort of wrong associated

with it, (given that she can take the noise in the sun, why would she be effected by a much less intense sound generated by a Rocket Red). And it's been used on SM as well. Don't know about SG. Point is, given their other powers, it makes no sense.

Then again, neither red suns nor Kryptonite really make much sense either as weaknesses.

But Deathstroke has the unique ability to use 90% of his brain instead of 10% like us plebs that if he thought really hard, maybe 300 dB wouldn't affect him too much.