Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Good news for you! LeBron James is picking up where Shaq and Michael Jordan left off
    Has there ever been an athlete to make the switch to acting and not suck at it?
    I wish sports people would just stick to the thing they're good at, and leave acting to actors. I mean, you don't see Denzel Washington or Cuba Gooding Jr joining the NBA do you?
    At least Bugs Bunny is good enough to carry both Jordan and LeBron. Especially Michael Jordan - I was a fan as a kid in the 90s, and I loved Space Jam, but looking back on it now the guy's acting was a bit wooden...okay, a lot wooden...

I weirdly liked that movie where Shaq was a genie though for some reason as a kid.

But anyway, Cyborg was one of the few things i thought was an improvement in the Snyder cut, so I'm glad he's found new popularity with the GA. If only WB could get its together, fix that situation, and bring in some other PoC heroes from the comics. HBO is moving forward with GL, but with Guy Gardener. Hooray? Maybe that means John will be in the movies, but nothing so far. If DC wants to compete with Marvel, they'd better get on it quick, because Marvel seems to be going all in on diversity. But really, DC should be competinf against itself!
    Well it's not just Guy but Alan and Jessica too, so at least there'll be one POC GL on that show (Jessica), but definitely seems like a bad choice to leave John out. Of course the rumor is he and Hal are being saved for another GL movie, but I'll only believe that when a trailer actually drops. Still, John is one of the most popular GLs to the wider non-comics reading audience, but where's he been since the end of the DCAU? I think he was in one or two episodes of Young Justice during that space trial episodes for the JL, but it's kind of a minor role...and I'd have to rewatch season 2 to be sure...
    That's not much.

Oh wait! He was in Apokolips War! He died horribly...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Has there ever been an athlete to make the switch to acting and not suck at it?
    I wish sports people would just stick to the thing they're good at, and leave acting to actors. I mean, you don't see Denzel Washington or Cuba Gooding Jr joining the NBA do you?
    At least Bugs Bunny is good enough to carry both Jordan and LeBron. Especially Michael Jordan - I was a fan as a kid in the 90s, and I loved Space Jam, but looking back on it now the guy's acting was a bit wooden...okay, a lot wooden...

I weirdly liked that movie where Shaq was a genie though for some reason as a kid.

Well it's not just Guy but Alan and Jessica too, so at least there'll be one POC GL on that show (Jessica), but definitely seems like a bad choice to leave John out. Of course the rumor is he and Hal are being saved for another GL movie, but I'll only believe that when a trailer actually drops. Still, John is one of the most popular GLs to the wider non-comics reading audience, but where's he been since the end of the DCAU? I think he was in one or two episodes of Young Justice during that space trial episodes for the JL, but it's kind of a minor role...and I'd have to rewatch season 2 to be sure...
    That's not much.

Oh wait! He was in Apokolips War! He died horribly...
    I don't have much confidence in space jam 2, since I don't really think the first one was that great. It looks like Cheadle will carry the movie to me. Anyway, I can't recall any basketball player successfully acting in a movie. You'd think they'd figure it out.

I've heard John Stewart is being saved for movies, but I'll believe it when I see it. Idk why DC won't capitalize on his popularity with the ga

I don't have much confidence in space jam 2, since I don't really think the first one was that great. It looks like Cheadle will carry the movie to me. Anyway, I can't recall any basketball player successfully acting in a movie. You'd think they'd figure it out.

I've heard John Stewart is being saved for movies, but I'll believe it when I see it. Idk why DC won't capitalize on his popularity with the ga
    Space Jam was great if you were a 90s kid watching it as a 90s kid! But yeah, a bit different from it being an actual good movie...I'll still watch it if it's on TV though, great nostalgia film. Again, different thing than it being a good film...

I don't know either. John Stewart is such a simple sell since he's already familiar to a lot of people from the cartoon, has a lot of goodwill from the cartoon, and is one of the better human GLs in general (I'm not a huge GL fan, but I will say my favorite GLs are the aliens - especially Mogo and Kilowog).

Ultimate Member

Space Jam was great if you were a 90s kid watching it as a 90s kid! But yeah, a bit different from it being an actual good movie...I'll still watch it if it's on TV though, great nostalgia film. Again, different thing than it being a good film...

I don't know either. John Stewart is such a simple sell since he's already familiar to a lot of people from the cartoon, has a lot of goodwill from the cartoon, and is one of the better human GLs in general (I'm not a huge GL fan, but I will say my favorite GLs are the aliens - especially Mogo and Kilowog).
    DC seemed to just give up on live action GL in general after 2011. Correct me if I'm wrong, but John was DC's fist Black superhero, right? Yet he's getting nothing in live action right now.

I'm glad Reyes and Cruz are getting adapted. I just hope that gets WB thinking in the right direction. And that's not even getting into Asian representation in the DCEU

DC seemed to just give up on live action GL in general after 2011. Correct me if I'm wrong, but John was DC's fist Black superhero, right? Yet he's getting nothing in live action right now.

I'm glad Reyes and Cruz are getting adapted. I just hope that gets WB thinking in the right direction. And that's not even getting into Asian representation in the DCEU
    Actually Black Lightning was DC's first black superhero. His CW show is ending, so they should be planning a Black Lightning movie, but I doubt it.

Ultimate Member

Actually Black Lightning was DC's first black superhero. His CW show is ending, so they should be planning a Black Lightning movie, but I doubt it.
    I doubt it too. I assumed John was published first. My mistake

WB has access to an entire universe that was designed to address this very topic. If they seriously wanted to do so then they'd be working on an Icon film instead of a black Superman one. But they don't, not really. They want to pay lip service to it and make it palatable to the general audience. Which is a huge mistake, imo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    WB has access to an entire universe that was designed to address this very topic. If they seriously wanted to do so then they'd be working on an Icon film instead of a black Superman one. But they don't, not really. They want to pay lip service to it and make it palatable to the general audience. Which is a huge mistake, imo.
    They didn't even get White Superman right the last time. Idk what they're going to do know

They didn't even get White Superman right the last time. Idk what they're going to do know
    Maybe they'll surprise us? Who knows? I just think they're making it way more difficult than it needs to be, though. They don't get why this will be seen as the exact opposite of what Black Panther was.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Maybe they'll surprise us? Who knows? I just think they're making it way more difficult than it needs to be, though. They don't get why this will be seen as the exact opposite of what Black Panther was.
    I hope whatever they're doing is good. I just don't want them to think "This is enough". Although Idk wht you mean by opposite of Black Panther

I hope whatever they're doing is good. I just don't want them to think "This is enough". Although Idk wht you mean by opposite of Black Panther
    Meaning BP was an original black character, with it's own mythos, setting, etc that was distinctly tied to black culture. It wasn't just the swapping of a black man onto another character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    So a white person could play Cyborg and there would be no problem?

Being black isn't integral to Cyborg's character.
    Yes a white person can play Cyborg, an Asian can play Wonder Woman, a Hispanic can play Captain American.
    Like I said before fictional characters have no race.
    Last edited by luprki; 05-08-2021 at 10:39 PM.

Man of Steel "failing" didn't stop The Boys, It didn't stop Jupiter's Legacy, It didn't stop Invincible, It didn't stop Brightburn . Plus Black Superman movie isn't stopping them from making Static ,Icon, John Stewart or Steel movie. When the reaction to Black Panther wasn't putting Icon, Static, Vixen into treatments for the big screen that was the issue. When DC said Static is risky project that is the issue, When Cyborg movie gets cancel when justice league flops but not flash, aquaman, Harley quinn that is the issue. Making the one of the biggest character in comic black in that has high chance for success isn't the issue.

I say it all the time I love racing bending it is ONLY time certain fans cry for minority or original character to be used. Without the "threat" of racing bending the same fans would be saying why are they using "Signal" or "Cass Cain" in Batman movie you have to use Barbara Gordan or Tim Drake or Jason Todd first. If DC just went white Superman again they would be no cries for where is Icon, Static, Green Lantern, etc. This is true because again they took Cyborg off the slate there is no where near this much noise. Race bending is only time a large majority fans become defenders of minority legacy characters and original characters. I remember Marvel Now or I remember DC new age of heroes, I remember as recent Miles Morales getting a video game and look through a comment section, It look the same as when Miles replace Peter in Ultimate line.

Some of this push is fraudulent imo, A lot those Fans don't want Icon or John Stewart they just don't want their precious Superman touched
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-08-2021 at 10:43 PM.

BANNED

It's made worse by the fact that the existing black heroes aren't used in movies - there is no Vixen movie or Bronze Tiger movie or Bumblebee movie or Cyborg movie or Mal Duncan movie or Jon Stewart movie or Steel movie (well, no good Steel movie...).
    Speaking of Vixen. while I never read her comics, I felt sort of disappointed by how her story arc played in Justice League unlimited.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Man of Steel "failing" didn't stop The Boys, It didn't stop Jupiter's Legacy, It didn't stop Invincible, It didn't stop Brightburn . Plus Black Superman movie isn't stopping them from making Static ,Icon, John Stewart or Steel movie. When the reaction to Black Panther wasn't putting Icon, Static, Vixen into treatments for the big screen that was the issue. When DC said Static is risky project that is the issue, When Cyborg movie gets cancel when justice league flops but not flash, aquaman, Harley quinn that is the issue. Making the one of the biggest character in comic black in that has high chance for success isn't the issue.

I say it all the time I love racing bending it is ONLY time certain fans cry for minority or original character to be used. Without the "threat" of racing bending the same fans would be saying why are they using "Signal" or "Cass Cain" in Batman movie you have to use Barbara Gordan or Tim Drake or Jason Todd first. If DC just went white Superman again they would be no cries for where is Icon, Static, Green Lantern, etc. This is true because again they took Cyborg off the slate there is no where near this much noise. Race bending is only time a large majority fans become defenders of minority legacy characters and original characters. I remember Marvel Now or I remember DC new age of heroes, I remember as recent Miles Morales getting a video game and look through a comment section, It look the same as when Miles replace Peter in Ultimate line.

Some of this push is fraudulent imo, A lot those Fans don't want Icon or John Stewart they just don't want their precious Superman touched
    Very true.

A lot of fans only push for minority characters because they’re afraid of their favorite white versions being touched. Or when they want to push their agenda (which they constantly accuse others of having). Part of the reasons a large vocal group of fans online (mainly the gaters) fell behind Monica Rambeau was because they were using her status as the first female Captain Marvel to attack Brie Larson and Carol Danvers by extension. It wasn’t because they cared about Monica Rambeau.

It’s the same thing with the recent talk about Icon or Steel. There was a Steel movie that was an utter mess of a disaster and Icon isn’t even owned by DC (which is why there’s been no Milestone comics for a very, very long time now). I’m not saying that anyone opposed to a black Clark Kent has an agenda, just that a large contingent of people actually don’t want see black superheroes. At all.