Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    There are many black heroes but the movies/shows when starting a universe tends focus on earlier superheroes on average or the most known ones on average.

As time goes on you will see more unknown heroes get a focus like you see in dc and marvel.
    Starting a mcu universe you not going get a shang-chi in phase one,but you getting a shang-chi movie now.
    Starting the dceu you not get a static shock,jessica cruz,john stewart but you will getting them.

So you getting original poc heroes and race swap ones in both the dceu and mcu but dc is doing the race swap of it's superheroes more so then marvel.

There are other comic companies that have and still creating new black heroes all the time,in the u.s and outside the u.s. as well.
    Ok. DC is supposedly adapting some of its PoC heroes to movies, including Jaime Reyes, but it still has far to go. So does Marvel too, for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    A lot of the time I've noticed when people say something is too "preachy" about social justice, I find it isn't actually true, but simply people don't like being confronted with uncomfortable truths. Doesn't mean it's always done well, but whether it is or not, some people will just complain about any efforts
    Yeah, stuff you could blatantly say in the 1960s or 1970s gets called SJW if done today. Can you imagine that Star Trek episode with Frank Gorshin if done today, the one where they were half-black and half-white? Or "Metamorphosis", about non-traditional romantic and sexual relations? Or like almost every episode. Today, someone accuses the Black Panther movie of being SJW because it mentions that racism even exists at all or captain Marvel because it mentions that it might just be barely possible that some men are condescending to women. It's like you can't mention reality at all or it's SJW.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yeah, stuff you could blatantly say in the 1960s or 1970s gets called SJW if done today. Can you imagine that Star Trek episode with Frank Gorshin if done today, the one where they were half-black and half-white? Or "Metamorphosis", about non-traditional romantic and sexual relations? Or like almost every episode. Today, someone accuses the Black Panther movie of being SJW because it mentions that racism even exists at all or captain Marvel because it mentions that it might just be barely possible that some men are condescending to women. It's like you can't mention reality at all or it's SJW.
    Yet they act like they're "objective."

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Man, that Star Trek episode was so cheesy with that white/black makeup, but that was some well done messaging for the time. Almost 60 years later though and sadly that message is still needed now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Man, that Star Trek episode was so cheesy with that white/black makeup, but that was some well done messaging for the time. Almost 60 years later though and sadly that message is still needed now.
    And notice how politically correct the show had to be for white people back then. Yet somehow because we can't be openly racist anymore, muh freedom is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    And notice how politically correct the show had to be for white people back then. Yet somehow because we can't be openly racist anymore, muh freedom is dead
    The southern states wouldn't even show that one time Kirk and Uhura kissed I think.

Ultimate Member

The southern states wouldn't even show that one time Kirk and Uhura kissed I think.
    But I thought the South fought for freedon!

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's always tough to talk about current issues that trouble you. I'm not even sure Marvel and DC are equipped to deal with them but it's a process you live and learn from.

My writing teacher made the argument that superheroes and big franchise films are the best place for social commentary because they reached the widest amount of people.

"You could sneak in some medicine with a bit of sugar".
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Horrible message. It just ruins the taste of both.

Either have medicine or sugar; never both.
    By "medicine" do you mean "blaming Whites for every problem facing PoC"?
    My flag is bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Why is it that every time someone says "DO YOU MEAN blank" on the internet it is never what the person meant.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-11-2021 at 03:52 AM.

Has there ever been an athlete to make the switch to acting and not suck at it?
    Would Dwayne Johnson count? Also, I think Terry Crews was a football player before he became an actor.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

What I MEAN is that when I hear characters of Color either blaming Whites for their problems or just denigrating them in general I tune out.
    My flag is bacon.

BANNED

What I MEAN is that when I hear characters of Color either blaming Whites for their problems or just denigrating them in general I tune out.
    But how often does this happen.

Usually in the better written tales where the character of color is the ''black best friend''. a race issue is discussed and confronted in a way the white character is....if they are meant to be true friends will understand and show more support to their POC friend, even if the black character come off what some may think is too harsh.

There is also the classic rivalry tale of a white and black character, while the black person would be right and correct to call out white privilege and white ignorance, However that black character in the end would at least show some respect to that same white character if they change their POV or at least earn their popularity.

This is what made a film like bring it on quite good dealing with some race issues between the two main female characters, even though I think in 2021 it may be a bit dated in some parts like the Clovers needing to beg for money to go the National Cheerleading Championships but still the power and race structure between Torrence and Isis was well written.

But I guess what you said, is what they call ''woke'' in 2021 where POC characters will just completely denigrate the white character with no chance of a good redemption because some of the worst aspects of the woke ideology is that every white character is problematic by default.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-11-2021 at 04:25 AM.

Invincible Member

C'mon...how often do major mainstream movies blame white people in general for minorities problems? More often in movies that deal with race there's usually a sympathetic white person if not a white savior. And unless the movie is about slavery or Jim Crow, they tend to downplay systemic issues.

Not really. My mentor was talking about personal issues and achieving positive catharsis as a whole. So to him, me using superheroes to tackle my struggles with depression is fair game.

Ultimate Member

That rarely happens. Let's not be so fragile. And frankly, White culture is a huge problem for PoC in many ways

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    C'mon...how often do major mainstream movies blame white people in general for minorities problems? More often in movies that deal with race there's usually a sympathetic white person if not a white savior. And unless the movie is about slavery or Jim Crow, they tend to downplay systemic issues.
    Exactly, because of how fragile White audiences can be