Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think fight villains who are bigots is a start. But herors could also do other things, like maybe protecting protests against institutional violence, or helping victims of racialized crimes.

Yeah. While I'm not saying all race changes are good, changing White characters to PoC ones does have some good intentions
    Superheroes do fight bigoted villains, especially if they're X-Men, whose entire rogues gallery that isn't fellow mutants consists of bigots who want to annihilate them just for existing as mutants. That said, I do like your idea of superheroes taking a stand against institutionalized violence, even if that would jeopardize the surprisingly cozy relationships superheroes have tended to (sometimes) enjoy with elements of law enforcement and the military and/or government.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Superheroes do fight bigoted villains, especially if they're X-Men, whose entire rogues gallery that isn't fellow mutants consists of bigots who want to annihilate them just for existing as mutants. That said, I do like your idea of superheroes taking a stand against institutionalized violence, even if that would jeopardize the surprisingly cozy relationships superheroes have tended to (sometimes) enjoy with elements of law enforcement and the military and/or government.
    I know X-Men do, but I meant real bigots against real minorities

Anyway, I think you're on to something. If the heroes question their relationships with law enforcement due to institutional bigotry, i think it could send a good message. Maybe some of them begin pushing for reform.

Another thing they could do is fight for minorities who are victims of crime, and whon law enforcement doesn't care about. Think about how Native Americans are often victims of violence, as an example.

Another idea is maybe they could use their powers/tech/magic to help out marginalized communities through upstream solutions. Maybe Iron Man could use his tech to help reach out to those communities in different ways, for instance

BANNED

Superheroes do fight bigoted villains, especially if they're X-Men, whose entire rogues gallery that isn't fellow mutants consists of bigots who want to annihilate them just for existing as mutants.
    I think things got more tricky with xmen but in a good way because sometimes discrimination is more within the families. the very first time I saw the clips of the Meghan Markle oprah interview, how she claimed they worried about the colour of her child and sort of madeher an outcast because of race.

My first thought as a comic fan came to this xmen tv episode.

Mystique in pretence of course married a prince/baron, had a baby and when they discovered the baby skin ain't white or was not even human. mystique and her baby had to runaway.

Now why I find this story very interesting is because, this people were not pure xmen villains like Trask or Kelly or the friends of humanity who are just KKKs. this was more of a classic soap opera tale, of the real world where fighting was not going to solve the answer . Also some who have married into them as people of color have spoken above discrimination in that type of establishment and some parts of society still don't see them as pure evil but more as a status quo.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-08-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Anyway, I think you're on to something. If the heroes question their relationships with law enforcement due to institutional bigotry, i think it could send a good message. Maybe some of them begin pushing for reform.

Another thing they could do is fight for minorities who are victims of crime, and whon law enforcement doesn't care about. Think about how Native Americans are often victims of violence, as an example.

Another idea is maybe they could use their powers/tech/magic to help out marginalized communities through upstream solutions. Maybe Iron Man could use his tech to help reach out to those communities in different ways, for instance
    Good points, although funny enough, wasn't vigilantism, superpowered or not, wrapped in the idea of fighting to attain justice for those who couldn't count on the law to get them that justice, for one reason or another? Speaking to your last point, however, I've seen both Spider-Man and Daredevil attempt to enlist Iron Man in using his technological and/or financial resources to help them fight a corrupt crowdfunding business in Spider-Man's case and a takeover of Hell's Kitchen by the Stromwyn siblings based on corrupt real estate dealings in Daredevil's case. Hell, Daredevil at that point actually makes a solid point to Iron Man about how the so-called "street levelers" are really more "people level" compared to the likes of Iron Man and the Avengers, who usually operate from a tower or a mountain, literally above those they protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I think things got more tricky with xmen but in a good way because sometimes discrimination is more within the families. the very first time I saw the clips of the Meghan Markle oprah interview, how she claimed they worried about the colour of her child and sort of madeher an outcast because of race.

My first thought as a comic fan came to this xmen tv episode.

Mystique in pretence of course married a prince/baron, had a baby and when they discovered the baby skin ain't white or was not even human. mystique and her baby had to runaway.

Now why I find this story very interesting is because, this people were not pure xmen villains like Trask or Kelly or the friends of humanity who are just KKKs. this was more of a classic soap opera tale, of the real world where fighting was not going to solve the answer . Also some who have married into them as people of color have spoken above discrimination in that type of establishment and some parts of society still don't see them as pure evil but more as a status quo.
    Hmm, those are very good points you've raised in your posts here so far. Definitely something worth thinking about.

Ultimate Member

Good points, although funny enough, wasn't vigilantism, superpowered or not, wrapped in the idea of fighting to attain justice for those who couldn't count on the law to get them that justice, for one reason or another? Speaking to your last point, however, I've seen both Spider-Man and Daredevil attempt to enlist Iron Man in using his technological and/or financial resources to help them fight a corrupt crowdfunding business in Spider-Man's case and a takeover of Hell's Kitchen by the Stromwyn siblings based on corrupt real estate dealings in Daredevil's case. Hell, Daredevil at that point actually makes a solid point to Iron Man about how the so-called "street levelers" are really more "people level" compared to the likes of Iron Man and the Avengers, who usually operate from a tower or a mountain, literally above those they protect.
    While Daredevil has a point, Iron man and others could point put how vigilantism has also primarily affected the marginalized groups too. I think vigilantism can be a double edged sword though. Most of the time, from what I've seen, guys like Spidey fight bank robbers and such, who mostly deal in property crimes, but property has a problematic connection to racism, at least in North America

Perhaps some self reflection on the heroes part would help. Not a Civil war, but discussion about whether their efforts work. Come to think of it, didn't Champions address that a bit when they formed?

The problem is there isn't many Black heroes, so changing a Black one to a White one doesn't help diversity
    It's made worse by the fact that the existing black heroes aren't used in movies - there is no Vixen movie or Bronze Tiger movie or Bumblebee movie or Cyborg movie or Mal Duncan movie or Jon Stewart movie or Steel movie (well, no good Steel movie...).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It's made worse by the fact that the existing black heroes aren't used in movies - there is no Vixen movie or Bronze Tiger movie or Bumblebee movie or Cyborg movie or Mal Duncan movie or Jon Stewart movie or Steel movie (well, no good Steel movie...).
    Don't remind of Shaq Steel!

But seriously, you have a point. They couldn't even fit John Stewart into JL. DCEU should be pushing more Black comic heroes. Unfortunately Cyborg seems to be in limbo

Astonishing Member

I think the problem with that is that it sounds like the Druids idea that a lot of Harry Potter fanfiction writers have. Druids were basically what wizards were to Muggles in that setting.

Rather than a minority, it comes off elitist.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I think the problem with that is that it sounds like the Druids idea that a lot of Harry Potter fanfiction writers have. Druids were basically what wizards were to Muggles in that setting.

Rather than a minority, it comes off elitist.
    Oh, I don't read Harry potter fanfiction, so I'm not sure how that parallel works

While Daredevil has a point, Iron man and others could point put how vigilantism has also primarily affected the marginalized groups too. I think vigilantism can be a double edged sword though. Most of the time, from what I've seen, guys like Spidey fight bank robbers and such, who mostly deal in property crimes, but property has a problematic connection to racism, at least in North America

Perhaps some self reflection on the heroes part would help. Not a Civil war, but discussion about whether their efforts work. Come to think of it, didn't Champions address that a bit when they formed?
    Yeah, they did, given that the Champions started from the fallout of yet another bout of superpowered infighting between the superheroes, which led the founding members to become disillusioned with their mentors and the self-perpetuating cycle of superpowered violence in which they participated, which was making things worse instead of better for the people they claimed to protect. In retrospect, it kind of reminded me what happened at the end of that one episode of Justice League Unlimited where Shazam (DC's Captain Marvel) quit the Justice League because, in his words, which could also somewhat apply to the Avengers at the time the Champions initially formed: "You don't behave like heroes anymore."

Ultimate Member

Yeah, they did, given that the Champions started from the fallout of yet another bout of superpowered infighting between the superheroes, which led the founding members to become disillusioned with their mentors and the self-perpetuating cycle of superpowered violence in which they participated, which was making things worse instead of better for the people they claimed to protect. In retrospect, it kind of reminded me what happened at the end of that one episode of Justice League Unlimited where Shazam (DC's Captain Marvel) quit the Justice League because, in his words, which could also somewhat apply to the Avengers at the time the Champions initially formed: "You don't behave like heroes anymore."
    I haven't read all of Champions, but I hope they keep that attitude up and help to change how superheroes address societal problems, and even their own purpose.

This reminds me of the backlash Spider-Man PS4 got for being copaganda, and how Miles' game tried to address.that

Don't remind of Shaq Steel!

But seriously, you have a point. They couldn't even fit John Stewart into JL. DCEU should be pushing more Black comic heroes. Unfortunately Cyborg seems to be in limbo
    I know, I love Shaq but his 90s acting career was just...not great.

Cyborg's a **** show with how they treated Fisher, and then dropped him when he called them out for it. I mean, the Snyder Cut isn't the masterpiece some would have you believe, but comparing Cyborg there with what he was given in 2017 I can't blame Fisher for being pissed. But yeah, Cyborg ain't coming back to the big screen unless Teen Titans Go to the Movies gets a sequel.

Still, even without Cyborg they have so many characters that for some insane reason they just refuse to utilize. How hard is it too include John? Even in just a cameo role? I like Martian Manhunter as much as the next guy, but if you're going to tease anyone a cut of JL John is clearly the bigger pick. I grew up on the cartoon, I know John as GL would draw notice!

WB just seems clueless to realize what they have with their POC characters. I liked the Black Panther movie, but I have no nostalgia for the king of Wakanda, he wasn't a part of my childhood. But some of DC's characters? Thanks to the DCAU, they sure as hell were! If people like me showed up for Black Panther, you can bet we'd show up for John freaking Stewart or Steel if done right.

Astonishing Member

I haven't read all of Champions, but I hope they keep that attitude up and help to change how superheroes address societal problems, and even their own purpose.

This reminds me of the backlash Spider-Man PS4 got for being copaganda, and how Miles' game tried to address.that
    New York as a whole was too nice to be real anyways, so I didn't really care.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I know, I love Shaq but his 90s acting career was just...not great.

Cyborg's a **** show with how they treated Fisher, and then dropped him when he called them out for it. I mean, the Snyder Cut isn't the masterpiece some would have you believe, but comparing Cyborg there with what he was given in 2017 I can't blame Fisher for being pissed. But yeah, Cyborg ain't coming back to the big screen unless Teen Titans Go to the Movies gets a sequel.

Still, even without Cyborg they have so many characters that for some insane reason they just refuse to utilize. How hard is it too include John? Even in just a cameo role? I like Martian Manhunter as much as the next guy, but if you're going to tease anyone a cut of JL John is clearly the bigger pick. I grew up on the cartoon, I know John as GL would draw notice!

WB just seems clueless to realize what they have with their POC characters. I liked the Black Panther movie, but I have no nostalgia for the king of Wakanda, he wasn't a part of my childhood. But some of DC's characters? Thanks to the DCAU, they sure as hell were! If people like me showed up for Black Panther, you can bet we'd show up for John freaking Stewart or Steel if done right.
    Good news for you! LeBron James is picking up where Shaq and Michael Jordan left off

But anyway, Cyborg was one of the few things i thought was an improvement in the Snyder cut, so I'm glad he's found new popularity with the GA. If only WB could get its together, fix that situation, and bring in some other PoC heroes from the comics. HBO is moving forward with GL, but with Guy Gardener. Hooray? Maybe that means John will be in the movies, but nothing so far. If DC wants to compete with Marvel, they'd better get on it quick, because Marvel seems to be going all in on diversity. But really, DC should be competinf against itself!