Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    from the greg land drawn stuff yeah?
    I remember in mighty avengers 6 ewing addressed that showing monica wasn't being a good role model to black girls with that relaxed hair and set up for her hair to eventually go back to natural.
    Huh? It’s any woman’s prerogative to get any hairstyle they want. Natural or not.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, but comics historically have a problem with making Black characters "Whiter"

Regarding the films, I'm pretty happy with how Monica is shaping up. I like the actress and the direction they're taking the character, I like that we've got another high-powered female in the MCU. Granted, I'm assuming Monica will be a powerhouse but we haven't seen what she's capable of yet. But everyone who's been powered by an Infinity Stone has been top-end powerful and Monica's powers came from Wanda's Hex, which is raw magic amped up by a Stone, so I can't imagine she's gonna be anything but high-end.

I'm assuming she's not going to be taking a "Marvel" name, but will go by Photon as a shout-out to her mother, or possibly Spectrum. I hope she doesn't go by Captain Marvel, we don't need two of them at the same time in the MCU and I'd rather Monica have her own name and identity instead of sharing one. Let her be her own person and not ride Carol's name. But she doesn't need "Marvel" in her name to be part of the family, and she's known Carol for literally her whole life so she's got plenty of reason to be involved in the narrative.

As far as the comics go....you know what? I don't really care why or how Monica got screwed over decades ago. Maybe it was racism, maybe the writers just didn't have any good ideas for her, who the hell knows? It was what, thirty years ago or more? Are the people who screwed her over even still working there? It doesn't really matter now, what matters now is doing better by Monica, repairing the damage, and building her up. Whatever went wrong back in the day, learn the lesson (and that's Marvel's responsibility, not our's) and do better. And with the MCU using her, odds are the comics will follow suit.

I'm not bothered by Carol's sequel being called "The Marvels." A trio of badass girls (two of which are PoC) in an ensemble? Hell yeah, sign me up. I see this as the Studio using Carol's success to help elevate the women coming after her, and I can get behind that. It's not an insult to Carol, it's women supporting women and that's a worthy goal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yet no one has a problem when Batman shows up to fight Darkseid LOL.
    I'd like to think that people who cheer for such things probably would be up to their eyebrows in some cult, but for comics.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 05-09-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Besides I don't even want carol on the avengers team nowadays, most of these characters have outgrown all that. Just go back to Ultimates and let them be a big team if a solo isn't around.
    Carol was the primary reason why the Ultimates was dismantled at one point, so please, no, don't refresh the team with her anywhere near it. Give her a try with the GotG -- or some other title that I likely will never purchase.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Carol was the primary reason why the Ultimates was dismantled at one point, so please, no, don't refresh the team with her anywhere near it. Give her a try with the GotG -- or some other title that I likely will never purchase.
    it was only dismantled for drama and that was civil war II's fault more than anything. You literally saw carol's character changing because of it compared to the start of book where she went from trying to consider everyone's viewpoints and also trying to reign in some parts of the team like we saw when Gladiator came in and started yelling at em, to whatever that nonsense during the event was causing the team to temporarily disband. Ewing literally wrote in how her cosmic awareness and galactus showing her the timestream more directly than the other team members was driving her kinda nuts lmao to somehow explain it and also basically wrote that in for the reason she created the team. It'd be weird for her to not be on it.

Im pretty sure that reasoning also applied to monica because she suddenly had cosmic awareness in this book but perhaps more innately because of becoming a purely energy being and her rather uncritical support of carol during that nonsense war II
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 05-09-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Why didn’t Marvel push Julia Carpenter and Mattie Franklin, when Jessica Drew got her big push?

Why didn’t Marvel push Sharon Ventura when Kamala got a push?
    Because the antics of the past can come back and bite you in the Azz.

The readers of those 80s-90s books are NOW the creative forces at Marvel and DC.

With guys who are NOT interested in folks like Monica.

With guys who have seen the top talent NOT care for folks like Cyborg and Duke Thomas and John Stewart.

All those antics are coming back to haunt many characters.

And as we have seen with John Stewart and Shuri and Cyborg-the tv and movie version are way more interesting than the comic ones.

And that is not even counting Bumblebee and Herald.

BANNED

Literally just want them to come back together and do a team move against a cosmic enemy inspired by black hole bombs
    Monica the light bullet, carol forms the singularity with her binary powers, t'challa supplies a vibranium mirror and math, america forms a dyson sphere linking to it so the light bounces around inside, Brashear supplying energy and doing the math and then BOOM a supercharged blackhole bomb esque light bullet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulCdoCfw-bY&vl=en
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 05-09-2021 at 05:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Like Marvel is generally a slow verse, you dont have crazy speedsters, quicksilver is there but he isn't that fast usually, but monica's lightspeed in her energy form by default. In DC you still have characters like superman, wonderwoman, manhunter etc who're pretty fast but in marvel speed is used very limitedly.
    I don't agree with this.

Let's take alook at some of marvel's and dc's fastest superheroes.(I am leaving out abstact or skyfather level powered types).

There are marvel superheroes just as fast or faster then dc's.
    The problem is dc tends to use or show their fastest superheroes in comics on average more often then marvel's.

5-meaning
    Supersonic: Able to move at a peak velocity between Mach-2 to orbital velocity (approximately 17,000 mph).

6-meaning
    Speed of Light: Able to move at a peak velocity up to 186,000 miles per second.

7-meaning
    Warp Speed: Able to transcend light speed or teleport (instantaneous travel).

DC
    Superman -6
    Faster then light but below warp speed in space.
    Running speed and movement speed will be a 5(Hypersonic)
    Flight speed on earth Hypersonic - 5

Wonder woman - 5
    Hypersonic

Manhunter -6
    Faster then light but below warp speed in space.
    Hypersonic on earth

The flash -7
    Warp speed
    Normally Hypersonic but could go up to light speed and even up warp speed.

Marvel
    Quicksilver - 5?
    See below
    After his powers were upgraded by Isotope E, his running speed was increased until he was capable of easily reaching high supersonic speeds between Mach 4 (3,080 miles per hour) and Mach 5 (3,691, miles per hour). The true extent of his amplified abilities are unknown and are stated to be limitless,[citation needed] he has been observed outrunning Thor's lightning bolts,running from Tibet to Indonesia in a few seconds, or covering half the Earth's distance in 92 seconds.

Yo-Yo Rodriguez -6
    Light speed

Monica Rambeau -6
    Light speed

The Sentry -7
    Flight speed in space could go up to Warp speed
    Teleportation
    Running speed and movement speed on earth will be a 5(Hypersonic)
    Flight speed on earth a 5(Hypersonic)
    and
    Sentry has Teleportation as well.
    Superman,wonder woman do not even have this.
    Teleportation: On at least one occasion, Sentry has shown an ability to teleport in a blinding flash of golden light. Sentry teleported away, after meeting Nate Grey , he was also able to teleport from the Sun back to the Earth , and managed to get into an area which was protected by Reed Richard's force fields.

Northstar -6
    Light speed

Aurora -6
    Light speed

Hyperion -6
    Marcus Milton (Earth-13034)
    Light speed in space
    Hypersonic on earth-5

Silver surfer -7
    Flight speed-Warp speed in space.

Thor-7
    Warp speed in space
    Teleportation
    Current Teleportation?unknown.
    Speed of sound movement speed(running etc.) -4
    Hypersonic flight speed on earth -5

Gladiator -7
    Warp speed in space

This would be a 5
    Superhuman Speed: Gladiator is capable of running and moving at speeds vastly greater than even the finest human athlete. He is able to move at supersonic speeds, meaning several times swifter than the speed of sound, which is roughly 760 miles per hour.

and here some other info.

Superhuman Reflexes: Gladiator's reflexes are similarly heightened and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
    Kallark has been able to catch a bullet fired by a highly powerful gun right before it could hit the mutant Vulcan, react in a matter of nanoseconds to block a punch from Hyperion, and even dodge a point blank photonic blast from Galactus himself.

Blue marvel-5
    Faster then supersonic
    Hypersonic

Thena -5/7
    Supersonic/Teleportation

Makkari -7
    Warp speed/Teleportation

Ikaris -5/7
    Supersonic/Teleportation

Runner -7
    Warp speed
    Last edited by mace11; 06-05-2021 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If we exclude Moon Girl, Silencer, Goldie Vance & current Kick Azz series at Image-the majority of black female lead books don't make issue 13. Mind you Moon Girl, Goldie Vance, Silencer and Kick Azz have yet to be seen on tv or in movies.
    Do your research, please. Moon Girl has a cartoon in production, Silencer appeared on Arrow, and Kick Ass has had two movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Beyond the race of the character, I don't know why Monica was treated the way she was. When I mention race, I'm not being hyperbolic...Marvel literally straightened out her Afro and lightened her skin for a while. I don't think she even has the Afro anymore (I can't remember). It's all so ridiculous....
    Yeah, you're right about the afro - she has dreads nowadays, which is a typical black hairstyle.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Why didn’t Marvel push Julia Carpenter and Mattie Franklin, when Jessica Drew got her big push?

Why didn’t Marvel push Sharon Ventura when Kamala got a push?
    It's because they are black.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Do your research, please. Moon Girl has a cartoon in production, Silencer appeared on Arrow, and Kick Ass has had two movies.
    skyvolt is talking about the new Kick Ass who is a black woman.
    Kick Ass 2 didn't do very good, IIRC, and it killed the possibility for a Kick Ass 3 or a Hit Girl movie.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I don't agree with this.

Let's take alook at some of marvel's and dc's fastest superheroes.(I am leaving out abstact or skyfather level powered types).

There are marvel superheroes just as fast or faster then dc's.
    The problem is dc tends to use or show their fastest superheroes in comics on average more often then marvel's.
    yeah that average is the killer, but stuff like warp speed and teleportation aren't really "true speed".
    I've read a lotof comics with northstar in it, but he's only been lightspeed in 1 that I can remember (x-men v2 190), otherwise he isn't an OMG kinda speedster and tends to get taken out quickly as well.

Gladiator/Hyperion are quick, but they so rarely use their speed it barely registers not to mention they tend to be minor characters, usually antagonistic.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Yeah, you're right about the afro - she has dreads nowadays, which is a typical black hairstyle.
    That’s good to see.

The Greg Land rendition of her (complete with lightened skin) was troubling on many levels.

i wonder if they're going to give monica her lightspeed powers because that would make her very OP and since it seems like they're going to change Kamalah's powers we really don't know

if they do give her her light form it could look like Cannonball from the new mutants movie

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Yes Marvel took away Captain Marvel mantle from Monica in 1980s so that they can give it to Carol Danvers in 2012. Not to mention Monica has no relation to Marvell or Krees and is simply called Captain Marvel. MCU was making Ms Marvel movie since 2012 and they changed to Captain Marvel probably because they got info of DC Captain Marvel movie.

And no female character has been screwed by a company like Carol. Avengers 200 is the epitome of sexist writing. It wouldn't be surprising if Brie was the one who pushed Marvel to change the Title.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 05-10-2021 at 12:53 AM.