Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Magala and the Well of Souls from today's backup issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Magala and the Well of Souls from today's backup issue.

Ugh, Magala. A Byrne leftover that never made sense, as the Amazons were supposed to have been reborn and eternally young, but you know. Byrne.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Ugh, Magala. A Byrne leftover that never made sense, as the Amazons were supposed to have been reborn and eternally young, but you know. Byrne.
    His run was full of a lot of weird stuff like that, though I doubt that's her case here.

Though I don't mind there being older-looking Amazons.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    His run was full of a lot of weird stuff like that, though I doubt that's her case here.

I suspect we will see Magala in Historia, though I'm kind of wishing we wouldn't.

She is connected to both Byrne and more convoluted Donna Troy nonsense, so that's two strikes against her for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I suspect we will see Magala in Historia, though I'm kind of wishing we wouldn't.

She is connected to both Byrne and more convoluted Donna Troy nonsense, so that's two strikes against her for me.
    It was at that point where Donna reached Hawkman-levels of convolution.

I wouldn't surprised if she there's there also if only because I imagine Jimenez might try to sneak in as many pre-existing Amazons as he can.

There were older Amazons in Rebirth.

Though it could be said tampering with dark magic corrupted Magala's looks, twisting her away from the eternal youthfulness of the other Amazons.

It's weird to leave that unanswered. Why are they old? Did they give up their youth for knowledge? Were they tampering with dark spirits? Are they allergic to Themyscira's fountain of youth?

It was at that point where Donna reached Hawkman-levels of convolution.

I wouldn't surprised if she there's there also if only because I imagine Jimenez might try to sneak in as many pre-existing Amazons as he can.
    He used her in his run (albeit possessed by Ariadne), so that's one of the reasons I expect to see her.

But I vastly prefer the Perez Amazon cast, even the obscure ones, to most of the ones that followed. Artemis and Rucka's additions (Io, Areto, Kasia) being the few exceptions for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    He used her in his run (albeit possessed by Ariadne), so that's one of the reasons I expect to see her.

But I vastly prefer the Perez Amazon cast, even the obscure ones, to most of the ones that followed. Artemis and Rucka's additions (Io, Areto, Kasia) being the few exceptions for some reason
    With Kasia, I thought she was supposed to be substitute stand-in for Mala (blonde haired Amazon who's friends with Diana pre-Steve crash landing) just with a Greek name.

Io at least has some attributes that make her standout from the other Amazons. I also usually consider Artemis separate from the regular Amazon cast.
    Last edited by Gaius; 06-11-2021 at 07:17 PM.

With Kasia, I though she was supposed to be substitute stand-in for Mala (blonde haired Amazon who's friends with Diana pre-Steve crash landing) just with a Greek name.

Io at least also at least has some attributes that make her standout from the other Amazons. I also usually consider Artemis separate from the regular Amazon cast.
    Both Kasia and Sofia (the blonde Amazon who made it to the bullets and bracelets segment along with Diana and Io) both seemed like they could have just been Mala. Preferably Sofia since she made it so far in the Contest, plus I always preferred Mala just be BFFs with Diana instead of a lover, so Kasia can have that role. I also have to wonder why he invented Castalia instead of Menalippe or Penelope, though Johns stupidly killing them off during Darkseid War probably had something to do with it

Same with me as far as Artemis goes. She's also in a weird way pre-Perez, since she's based on two pre-Crisis characters (Orana, and the "first Wonder Woman" Artemis from the Mishkin run)

With Kasia, I actually she was supposed to be substitute stand-in for Mala (blonde haired Amazon who's friends with Diana pre-Steve crash landing) just with a Greek name.

Io at least also at least has some attributes that make her standout from the other Amazons. I also usually consider Artemis separate from the regular Amazon cast.
    She looks like Mala, so probably.

They really need to sort out the name thing.

Orana: The name is of Aboriginal Australian origin but the character is a white red head in a Greek based society.

Artemis: Born in an Egyptian Amazon tribe but named after a Greek Goddess. Her being a red head doesn't bother me. Egypt is a very diverse place and Arabs are much more diverse in appearance than people think. Ramses II and Cleopetra were red heads and ancient Egyptians used to sacrifice red haired men to Osiris and associated red hair with Set. Though I think she should be drawn with more bronze or tan skin.

Kasia: Name is of Polish origin.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Orana: The name is of Aboriginal Australian origin but the character is a white red head in a Greek based society.

Artemis: Born in an Egyptian Amazon tribe but named after a Greek Goddess. Her being a red head doesn't bother me. Egypt is a very diverse place and Arabs are much more diverse in appearance than people think. Ramses II and Cleopetra were red heads and ancient Egyptians used to sacrifice red haired men to Osiris and associated red hair with Set. Though I think she should be drawn with more bronze or tan skin.

In regards to Artemis, I just go with since the Bana share the same ancestral roots as the Themyscirans her name is just a holdover from their Ancient Greek heritage.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Given how people name their kids from all over the world nowadays....I can suspend belief that it would be the same back then for a fictional universe. Artemis comes from a tribe that ultimately came from Greece so its even more believable that they'd use names from their past.

I been thinking about something. The Banas are generally seem has mortal. But what if some are immortal? Because I kind of want Hippoltya and her sister to speak but I know there is nothing to gain from that. I mean we also have the fact Greeks and Egyptian did meet and some had kids. So there isn't no surprise if Artemis had a Greek name. One idea I had is maybe they also set up places to help get more men and women. Like a part of their town is visible where there are tales of if you need help go to this place. Or that Banas run women shelters. And they also hurt down men who are cruel and have them has a consort

The more I think about it the Amazons somewhat also come from Turkey and there are some myths of them in Asian. So what if the Banas expanded?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-12-2021 at 03:14 PM.