Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Regardless, Rucka is a cherry-picker and will absolutely destroy your s*** if he didn’t like it. Which is nice if you like the same stuff he likes, like when he restored Barbara as Cheetah by killing everyone working for Sebastian, killed Sebastian and then blew up his dead body and underground lab for good measure and he made sure to show the whole thing on panel so there wouldn’t be any grey area as to whether Sebastian is alive or dead.
    But if you don’t like what he likes then is sucks.
    Beyond Sebastian, I can't think of anything else he clearly thought was lame and destroyed it. Some might say Rebirth chucked out everything from the post-Crisis era would be a sign, but that would include his own first run not be able to be canon anymore either. So we were so far removed from that canon by that point anyway and getting to rebuild the WW mythos in his own reboot must seem like a dream.

He may not have liked the Diana Trevor stuff though. He had that nice little moment in his first run where Diana stopped by her grave, but he ditched it in his second. And hung a lampshade on it with Professor Perez saying "isn't it weird that she has a Roman name?" and Etta essentially saying "yeah, but who cares?"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Beyond Sebastian, I can't think of anything else he clearly thought was lame and destroyed it. Some might say Rebirth chucked out everything from the post-Crisis era would be a sign, but that would include his own first run not be able to be canon anymore either. So we were so far removed from that canon by that point anyway and getting to rebuild the WW mythos in his own reboot must seem like a dream.
    While I agree that Rucka doesn't actually have any malice against the Perez/Post-crisis continuity as a whole, his inclusion of flashbacks to post crisis continuity only to dismiss it as false as the New 52 continuity for Rebirth's reboot rubbed me the wrong way. If he wasn't going to restore the post-crisis continuity he shouldn't have included the flashbacks to it. Another reason I'm not opposed to Orlando discarding Diana never having been back to Themyscira, and am hoping Orlando's retcons stick, in addition to wanting what's best for Donna.

He may not have liked the Diana Trevor stuff though. He had that nice little moment in his first run where Diana stopped by her grave, but he ditched it in his second. And hung a lampshade on it with Professor Perez saying "isn't it weird that she has a Roman name?" and Etta essentially saying "yeah, but who cares?"
    The stuff about New 52 Amazons being figments of her imagination and her describing the romantic relationship with Superman as “easy” are probably examples of that. Thought like I’m a Fish said, if you’re in agreement with him it won’t bother you when he takes jabs at it.

Professor Perez was a nice moment.

I don't mind Steve's mother and Diana sharing the same first name and who may have inspired him to join the military, but for Steve to have a mother who was also a pilot, who also crash landed in Themyscira plus inspired Diana's name and the WW costume along with the 'pistol ritual' the Amazons did was a bit too much, imo.

I can understand why writers ignore that.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana had used lethal force since Perez, it wasn't like Rucka was having her do anything out of character (and killing Max wasn't even his idea from what I recall). Also, there were plenty of moments in both his runs where Diana didn't use lethal force. In fact, Medusa and Max are the only instances of Diana killing someone I remember from his first run. I also don't think that using lethal force in defense of others or oneself is a pro-military stance.
    Dude, chill. I know Diana has killed before in Perez's run and I don't view that as anything out of character. It's just an observation on Rucka's run and his general body of work.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I

Dude, chill. I know Diana has killed before in Perez's run and I don't view that as anything out of character. It's just an observation on Rucka's run and his general body of work.
    And I was making an observation as well.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-30-2021 at 03:00 AM.

I don't mind Steve's mother and Diana sharing the same first name and who may have inspired him to join the military, but for Steve to have a mother who was also a pilot, who also crash landed in Themyscira plus inspired Diana's name and the WW costume along with the 'pistol ritual' the Amazons did was a bit too much, imo.

I can understand why writers ignore that.

What's funny is that "Challenge of the Gods" was Perez's first idea he had for a WW story, before Crisis and his reboot, after he and Wolfman did a Greek myth-based story in Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    What's funny is that "Challenge of the Gods" was Perez's first idea he had for a WW story, before Crisis and his reboot, after he and Wolfman did a Greek myth-based story in Teen Titans.
    I would have liked to have seen what Perez could do with Wonder Woman without actually rebooting. It could also have tied into NTT more easily because it wouldn't have nuked Donna's origin.

He could give her full blown flight and ditch the Diana Prince ID, and all his other supporting cast could have been introduced as well, just in different ways.

I would have liked to have seen what Perez could do with Wonder Woman without actually rebooting. It could also have tied into NTT more easily because it wouldn't have nuked Donna's origin.

He could give her full blown flight and ditch the Diana Prince ID, and all his other supporting cast could have been introduced as well, just in different ways.
    Some stuff would certainly change, stuff like "Who Killed Myndi Mayer?" wouldn't really work with a Diana whose been active in Man's World for years, but I could see him still introducing stuff like Barbara Minerva since Cheetah was already made a title with Debbie. Circe could also work mostly the same either way.

Think I've said this elsewhere but most of Perez's run could still work if it was just stated this all took "X amount of years ago" and you avoid the Donna headaches/JL founder status substitute.

Yeah, Perez's run just needed to be a flashback or at very least 'Gods & Mortals' should have been. The rest could have been retold as present day stories with flashbacks to the past when necessary. I think the way Rucka structured his Rebirth stories was the ideal format, imo.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

That gives you enough of a run down for a whole Wonder Woman trilogy or tv series or animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Where is this from?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where is this from?
    Wonder Woman: Secret Files and Origins #3

Yeah, Perez's run just needed to be a flashback or at very least 'Gods & Mortals' should have been. The rest could have been retold as present day stories with flashbacks to the past when necessary. I think the way Rucka structured his Rebirth stories was the ideal format, imo.
    Wasn't there rumors of this? Like Perez planned the early story arcs to be like a " year one" and then move to the present, but DC nixed that and liked the idea of her being new on the scene...

I heard something similar but I can't find a source for it.