Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Right? These are the easy money simple to make hard to get wrong ideas that we fans can come up with in our free time, and WB has a whole team of writers and directors who are paid to do this so they should have even more treasure trove of ideas! And yet what have they come up with? Nothing. Almost nothing, just a race bent Superman and a not-technically-a-DC Static (I love Static from the cartoon, but again, it means their only traditionally black DC superhero won't be a DC superhero! That's crazy!).

But acknowledging it's been disproven puts the problem with their POC movies not selling on them, and of course the WB executives are perfect in every way and can't possibly be the problem...much better to find some way to put BP down as a fluke, or something only their competition has the keys to.
    Even a Black superman doesn't preclude Victor, John et al gettting attention. But according to WB, it's zero sum. And corporate executives aren't known for that kind of introspection

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Even a Black superman doesn't preclude Victor, John et al gettting attention. But according to WB, it's zero sum. And corporate executives aren't known for that kind of introspection
    Suffice it to say, unless it's on Batman or Joker, I don't trust WB.

Ultimate Member

Suffice it to say, unless it's on Batman or Joker, I don't trust WB.
    And even with those two, DC can't even bother to keep them in the same universe as other heroes. And we still haven't seen any Robin or Batgirl

Astonishing Member

And even with those two, DC can't even bother to keep them in the same universe as other heroes. And we still haven't seen any Robin or Batgirl
    That's actually better. It makes sure that the narrative stays focused on them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That's actually better. It makes sure that the narrative stays focused on them.
    I don't necessarily agree. They can have a focused narrative while being in the shared universe. The comics managed it for decades

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Scott Mendolson

"Hollywood is using inclusivity and diversity as an alibi for rebooting outdated franchises and past-their-prime properties, setting an entire generation of “not a white guy” talent up to fail commercially."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=7b7bc83c3a3e

On one hand I can see where he is coming from. No one wanted another Charlie's Angels. On the other hand sometimes the talent is failed by the creatives like Star Trek Discovery. Sometimes everything is terrible like in Terminatorark Fate
    Hollywood has often tended to go for the remake. There's no reason diversity should be immune to typical Hollywood tactics. From the days of "Blacula" or the black version of the Odd Couple to more current stuff, that approach is just standard Hollywood when it comes to all sorts of things, not just diversity.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Hollywood has often tended to go for the remake. There's no reason diversity should be immune to typical Hollywood tactics. From the days of "Blacula" or the black version of the Odd Couple to more current stuff, that approach is just standard Hollywood when it comes to all sorts of things, not just diversity.
    Mind you, I think some stuff could be cool and a different twist by doing that. Having a female Doctor Who or a female 007, not specifically James Bond but the next 007, could be great IF done well. If it's poorly done, then, of course, it won't do well. The problem comes when people define the change itself as what makes it poorly done.

I've long thought it would be a great idea to do a remake of the Wild Wild West television show with a female character in place of James West. That would really be a turnabout considering how sexist the show was albeit in a comedic way.

Granted the attempt at a black James West flopped but that was because it sucked and they cast Will Smith who was only playing himself.
    Power with Girl is better.

I prefer that, I'm not a fan of their shared universe. Joker was better than any of the DCEU movies in my opinion, and I'm hyped for The Batman.

Ultimate Member

I prefer that, I'm not a fan of their shared universe. Joker was better than any of the DCEU movies in my opinion, and I'm hyped for The Batman.
    I like the shared universe idea. I think DC quits too easily

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Mind you, I think some stuff could be cool and a different twist by doing that. Having a female Doctor Who or a female 007, not specifically James Bond but the next 007, could be great IF done well. If it's poorly done, then, of course, it won't do well. The problem comes when people define the change itself as what makes it poorly done.

I've long thought it would be a great idea to do a remake of the Wild Wild West television show with a female character in place of James West. That would really be a turnabout considering how sexist the show was albeit in a comedic way.

Granted the attempt at a black James West flopped but that was because it sucked and they cast Will Smith who was only playing himself.
    Yeah, the remakes don't suck because of diversity, but because they're not well made

I like the shared universe idea. I think DC quits too easily
    You can like the idea, but I hate the execution.

Ultimate Member

You can like the idea, but I hate the execution.
    The execution sucks because DCEU doesn't know what it's doing

The execution sucks because DCEU doesn't know what it's doing
    Which is why I prefer things like Joker and The Batman. A shared universe seems like a bad fit for WB right now with their hit and miss track record.

Ultimate Member

Which is why I prefer things like Joker and The Batman. A shared universe seems like a bad fit for WB right now with their hit and miss track record.
    Idk. I feel like DC could do a better job. And honestly I didn't think Joker was that great. It was ok, but doing Joker without Batman doesn't really work for me. It still sends the whole "villain is more important than hero" message Batman movies always struggle with.

DC's problem IMO is they relied too much on the Snyderverse to set up connections. The post-Snyderverse DCEU seems to be doing better. But anyway, I feel like I'm derailing the conversation again.

I think it's the exact opposite of this topic's question. Hollywood uses inclusion/diversity for the reason something flops. They take away the wrong message again and again.