Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is the Marvel Age Of Movies Done?

This is kind of a departure for me, and what's expressed here are strictly my own observations, and not intended to be received as Absolute Truth. Just my reactions to things.

1. Disney+ has not had a series as good as Netflix Iron Fist, let alone Daredevil (which wasn't outstanding by any stretch). As I watch Loki, for instance, I understand less about what the hell is going on than I did the episode before. I'm still not sure what the story of WandaVision was.

2. Movies have been sub-par, by Marvel standards. Thinking all the way back to Doctor Strange, which I loved, it seems now to be a pretty small story trying to be grandiose. Its primary purpose seems to establish the time stone in the MCU. I barely remember the love interest, if that's what she was, Dormammu comes off as less of a threat than Red Skull. Ant Man and the Wasp - I don't really remember what that was about, or why it was important (or even if it was important). GotG 2 I remember hardlty at all. I watched it for the second time a few months ago and was surprised to recall that Kurt Russell, one of my favorite actors, was even in it. Today I can't remember what the story was. Captain Marvel I also don't remember well. I know they did a great job making Samuel L. Jackson look age appropriate, but what was the story and why should I care about it?

It seems like more and more the Marvel Age of Movies is becoming quite forgettable. Granted, anything there (excepting perhaps Aquaman) is better than the latest DC movies by an incalculable margin, but still...I'm forgetting more of what I see in MCU stuff than I'm remembering. The first 10 years are like Beatles songs - name any one and I can recall it beat for beat.

Anyone else feeling this? Are you as excited for the next 10 years as you were the last 10 years?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    This is kind of a departure for me, and what's expressed here are strictly my own observations, and not intended to be received as Absolute Truth. Just my reactions to things.

1. Disney+ has not had a series as good as Netflix Iron Fist, let alone Daredevil (which wasn't outstanding by any stretch). As I watch Loki, for instance, I understand less about what the hell is going on than I did the episode before. I'm still not sure what the story of WandaVision was.

2. Movies have been sub-par, by Marvel standards. Thinking all the way back to Doctor Strange, which I loved, it seems now to be a pretty small story trying to be grandiose. Its primary purpose seems to establish the time stone in the MCU. I barely remember the love interest, if that's what she was, Dormammu comes off as less of a threat than Red Skull. Ant Man and the Wasp - I don't really remember what that was about, or why it was important (or even if it was important). GotG 2 I remember hardlty at all. I watched it for the second time a few months ago and was surprised to recall that Kurt Russell, one of my favorite actors, was even in it. Today I can't remember what the story was. Captain Marvel I also don't remember well. I know they did a great job making Samuel L. Jackson look age appropriate, but what was the story and why should I care about it?

It seems like more and more the Marvel Age of Movies is becoming quite forgettable. Granted, anything there (excepting perhaps Aquaman) is better than the latest DC movies by an incalculable margin, but still...I'm forgetting more of what I see in MCU stuff than I'm remembering. The first 10 years are like Beatles songs - name any one and I can recall it beat for beat.

Anyone else feeling this? Are you as excited for the next 10 years as you were the last 10 years?
    I've loved the past 13 years and am looking forward to the next 13. The Disney+ shows I think are fantastic and are able to give the spotlight to characters that don't get much screen time in the movies. Plus act as a bridge in between movies. For me, the MCU has high rewatch value and I pick up new interconnected bits each time I watch. #MCUFAN ALWAYS

Astonishing Member

Here is the thing with those Netflix shows. Now your opinion is your opinion. But come on try and watch those things. Most of it is drawn out garbage with some good acting. The dialogue isn't great you can literally watch those shows and see where they are trying too fill in 50 or 55 minutes. They have some good performances but no way is it the quality of Disney plus shows. And I like the Daredevil. But I wouldn't go back and watch Punisher if you paid me. And I love the actress and parts of Jessica Jones but talk about endless melodrama. They busted that show. Sorry.

Niffleheim

Marvel Netflix mind numbing storytelling was nightmarish. I can't even revisit those shows anymore because of it and then again their Disney plus shows are under six hours but they still manage to waste a lot of time by not making the story more tighter. I'm actually surprised how much they have me lose interest in Loki. That is shocking to me. I derive much more entertainment out of their movies than their Marvel Studio shows.

But to answer your question I'm still very interested in the franchise I still like a lot more than what I dislike.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-09-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Marvel Netflix mind numbing storytelling was nightmarish. I can't even revisit those shows anymore because of it and then again their Disney plus shows are under six hours but they still manage to waste a lot of time by not making the story more tighter. I'm actually surprised how much they have me lose interest in Loki. That is shocking to me. I derive much more entertainment out of their movies than their Marvel Studio shows.

But to answer your question I'm still very interested in the franchise I still like a lot more than what I dislike.
    I get what you are saying and your not wrong. But compared to the Netflix shows Disney + shows are on turbo. That being said and I don't care what anyone says all of the Disney + shows have good stories. That could have been told in 2 hrs, instead of 6 or 8. You can see them working to fill times in these shows. And the Netflix shows, well they spent more time on thinking about ways to fill up 55 minutes than they did about the plots.

Haven't seen any of the TV shows, but I do think the movies are still doing above average overall. I will freely concede that the next couple movies aren't exactly in my wheelhouse, but I really liked Black Widow and some of the upcoming ones seem really promising. I think we're going to be okay.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I fully agree that none of the Disney+ shows have been remotely as good as Daredevil's 1st and 3rd seasons, but so far all three shows seem to have been hits. I wasn't thrilled about Black Widow either, but it's looking like the opening weekend is going to be sizable.

So while I guess it could be argued if the quality has gone down, the public interest is absolutely still there.

For me, personally? Nope.

For the general public/audience? Again, nope.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. The Disney+ shows have all been fantastic. Maybe you just don't like the bigger ideas and concepts and are more comfortable with the simpler street level storytelling of Daredevil and Luke Cage.

Extraordinary Member

I'd say every Disney show so far was better than Iron Fist...and I don't even like Loki..but damn..Iron Fist?

I think it's far from done. I think we may be in for a bit of a lull since Tony and Cap are gone, but Thor is still around and after seeing Black Widow I am looking forward to more of Yelena. Plus we still have Spiderman, and Doctor Strange. Shang Chi and The Eternals I think will be hard to sell, but they made an amazing movie with Guardians so they can definitely do it. Then moving forward we will eventually have the FF and X-Men to look forward to.

As for the TV side of things I've enjoyed all the D+ offerings, while I still think Daredevil was the best overall series I'd rank Loki #2 or #3, depending on how it ends it may surpass the Punisher as my 2nd favorite TV series.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

IRON FIST SUCKED.

Yes, I meant to do allcaps.

I tried to watch the second season, but just couldn't.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

They are still making money, the streaming numbers are good and people have reacted positively to their content thus far so the answer is no. Though I think you might be outgrowing these movies/shows or your tastes/preferences are different/changing which is perfectly fine as well.

The Netflix shows started out great then they fizzled out after their first season, poor Luke Cage went down hill in the second half of his first season. The Netflix shows and Agent Carter had this problem where they shed a lot of viewers after their first seasons. That's why Marvel is investing in short and punchy mini series that may or may not have a second season. With 13 episodes, it does feel like you're being asked to do homework and all the episodes just blurred together, I can at least remember what happened on each episode of the D+ show. Also, Wanda, Sam and Bucky had changed a lot by the end of their shows or were in different places psychologically by the end, Loki changed a lot in the first episode and I'm sure he will be different at the end as well. Meanwhile, I feel like Matt, Luke, Jess and Danny barely changed throughout their shows and that the shows stuck themselves to a formula whilst the D+ shows have been more daring, fun and flexible.

I disagree with most of what you said. While I agree that Ant Man and the Wasp wasn't completely memorable, the plot of that movie basically set up how the plot of Avengers: Endgame would go (with the Quantum Realm). GotG2- again, not completely memorable, but I can remember enough. Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel were really meant to be origin stories of the characters, and the villains were merely there to service that- which was a disservice to Dormammu, a little less for Yon Ragg, or whatever that Kree's name was (that WAS forgettable).

I never really got into the Netflix shows, other than the first season of Daredevil (which I loved). The Disney+ shows have been a bit hit or miss, but I can respect them taking a chance on new formulas (Wandavision, Loki to an extent). And I enjoyed FatWS.

That being said- what you are saying about Marvel does seem to echo how I'm feeling about the Arrowverse. And I've come to the realization that, after almost a solid decade of watching all of those shows, I do think I've... well, maybe not outgrown them, but grown passed them. They are a part of my past I will look fondly on, but will probably not continue watching going forward. It sounds like you are feeling the same way about the MCU.

If you couldn’t understand what WandaVision was about…

…I…uh…well I have no words.

Carry on.