Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Late to the party but I think they are, yeah. Its basically becoming just the latest in a long line of excuses to reboot established properties yet again, continuing the string of overall lack of creativity that's been going on for a really long time now. Over the last 13 pages surely this has been opined already, but add to me another who stands there.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-12-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Plus, if it was actually funny. They had four notable comedic actresses and didn't give anything funny to them any Darkseid and the Doomsday we got wasn't even Doomsday
    The chances of that movie being funny when down the toilet when they cast Melissa McCarthy.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I believe he was using sarcasm.
    He was indeed...which makes his opinion(and castle's follow up) dubious at best. There's been no trailer, not even a plot teased, and no actor announced...so race alone would be the only element upon which failure is being predicted.

I don't like to throw out terms, but some times if it quacks like a duck...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The chances of that movie being funny when down the toilet when they cast Melissa McCarthy.
    I think she can be funny with the right material. But none of that material was right.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    He was indeed...which makes his opinion(and castle's follow up) dubious at best. There's been no trailer, not even a plot teased, and no actor announced...so race alone would be the only element upon which failure is being predicted.

I don't like to throw out terms, but some times if it quacks like a duck...
    Well not just race alone - WB's track record here is a mighty big element.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Late to the party but I think they are, yeah. Its basically becoming just the latest in a long line of excuses to reboot established properties yet again, continuing the string of overall lack of creativity that's been going on for a really long time now. Over the last 13 pages surely this has been opined already, but add to me another who stands there.
    Yes. It is lack of creativity , not lack of diversity.

Also why does Hollywood automatically thinks audiences are not smart enough to get compelling creative stuff. I know we have discussed this already on the Oscars rating thread but many of this movies just have little creative blocks.

I will sum it up with how George Lucas felt about The Force Awakens.

''It did nothing new''

https://epicstream.com/news/JudithAn...-Force-Awakens

Did we need to see Star Wars get rebooted by a female character, who is one of the least creative thought out character of all time? No.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well not just race alone - WB's track record here is a mighty big element.
    And if that was mentioned in the comment, you might, maybe have a point...but even so it's far from a great look which is why I labeled it as dubious at best.

Ultimate Member

I think she can be funny with the right material. But none of that material was right.
    Exactly.

Melissa McCarthy can be a little one note but she can be very good with the right stuff.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Yes. It is lack of creativity , not lack of diversity.

Also why does Hollywood automatically thinks audiences are not smart enough to get compelling creative stuff. I know we have discussed this already on the Oscars rating thread but many of this movies just have little creative blocks.

I will sum it up with how George Lucas felt about The Force Awakens.

''It did nothing new''

https://epicstream.com/news/JudithAn...-Force-Awakens

Did we need to see Star Wars get rebooted by a female character, who is one of the least creative thought out character of all time? No.
    The Star Wars sequel having a female protagonist was part of Lucas original sequel suggestions.

That's one of his ideas that Disney/Lucasfilm took on.

The answer is a yes, but the question is a bit misleading.

All franchises are potentially doomed. Hollywood consistently using things that are modern to revamp existing characters, or to launch new franchises.

They would do spine-tingling seats for B-horror movies, Jaws 3D, a new Hollywood take on Phillip Marlowe in the 1970s, a found-footage version of a giant monster story, etc. "What if Superman were black?" is kinda similar.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't know about that. The funniest I ever seen her be was The Heat and that was largely because of Sandra Bullock.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I might have said it before but I have very simple logic. If a character or franchise leads with the diverse nature of a character of team above everything else and allows the plot or story or mechanics to be less important over 'look we have this kind of character in the movie/show/game', it's not likely to be successful and will inevitably lead to numerous parties playing the blame game and not actually learning anything.

For example I gather the writer of the recent Charlie's Angels movie made a big deal about it being a movie just for women and ensuring that much like GB2016 all the male characters were written to be idiots or evil or grossly incompetent. And when it was a huge flop with both genders because of the terrible plot she blamed men for not seeing it. That's not a good way to approach things.

In regards to Superman I would love to see Calvin Ellis and something different with the character that way. It worked just fine with Miles Morales in Spider-Verse after all (though that movie did have the benefit of an ensemble it still ensured that Miles was the lead). BUT if they do go with a black Clark instead... it doesn't bother me too much since we have had numerous more traditional Supermen already. What would be important is that the movie happens to be good and enjoyable for everyone. I would be more bemused to see though if DC and Warner were ever brave enough to do Luke Fox Batman, their big ticket.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Melissa McCarthy can be a little one note but she can be very good with the right stuff.
    They basically downplayed her for the most part in that movie, at least from what I remember, so she couldn't even be one-note funny

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't know about that. The funniest I ever seen her be was The Heat and that was largely because of Sandra Bullock.
    Maybe she didn't gel with the other cast members in Ghostbusters

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m still so bummed that Kate McKinnon was wasted in that movie.
    Me too. If that movie was a hit, she probably would have left SNL. It wasn't a hit which means I'm stuck watching her on SNL for at least another three seasons.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The Star Wars sequel having a female protagonist was part of Lucas original sequel suggestions.

That's one of his ideas that Disney/Lucasfilm took on.
    And to be blunt, neither The Force Awakens nor Rogue One suffered from having female leads at all. And I’d even argue that “redoing” the OT with a female lead isn’t a bad idea... but let’s face it, after TLJ, the story was handicapped, because the film was simultaneously arguing that Rey shouldn’t be a Skywalker but that it should totally get a pass to pimp her out to a Neo-Nazi School Shooter because he was a Skywalker.

It’s just a small pet peeve of mine - The Star Wars Sequel trilogy was actually significantly healthier and more interesting when the undisputed lead characters were Rey and Finn, and woman and a black man.

It was the weird, spastic decision to prostitute the entire story for another broken white boy that screwed it over - though, to point this out, it was more that they were so damn lazy, presumptuous, and enamored with Kylo Ren and so damn apathetic and scared of Rey and Finn that caused the issue.

People complaining about Rey as a “Mary Sue” when TFA came out just had their panties in a knot over nothing. People who complained about Rey as a Mary Sue after TLJ came out were ignoring she got pimped out to Kylo... who’d usurped Finn’s spot... and who was having all the original characters dragged through the mud to try and make him sympathetic with.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP