Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I just don't understand why they don't look to their ANIMATED UNIVERSE for inspiration. It's the most successful interpretation of their heroes outside of comics and they feel they are above it.
    The DCAU has its share of its own problems I wouldn't like them to take notes from (I think WW films, despite some issues, already handle her far better than the cartoons), but overall yeah it's a much better executed attempt.

Astonishing Member

I read this article and don't know wtf the author is talking about.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I read this article and don't know wtf the author is talking about.
    You are not going to revive a dead franchise like Terminator by diversifying your cast because almost nobody wants that story again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    You are not going to revive a dead franchise like Terminator by diversifying your cast because almost nobody wants that story again.

Ok but your not going to revive it with white people either. I mean generally unless I am mistaken most "dying" franchises die. Although slowly. Very few franchises have long life spans, Bond, Star Wars, Fast and Furious I guess Marvel although that is so diverse not sure if thats a singular franchise. But most franchises just fade away. The tv side is a little different I guess. Star Trek has been around forever, Doctor Who, some various other genre shows maybe. But all and all most go bye bye. If Hollywood is trying to save them but throwing in a diverse cast or something well thats all they really have. Some of these Franchises made mistakes decades ago and won't ever recover. Others do come back like Godzilla. But the Terminator Franchise lost its chance at really becoming a long lasting franchise years ago. They got stuck in a premise and couldn't really come up with anything new that people wanted to see. Some of these franchises are really limited in what they can do unless they have an amazing vision from the start. I liked the Terminator but after awhile the premise gets tired. Thats just the way it is.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 05-09-2021 at 08:34 PM.

Ultimate Member

Terminator could be rebooted with an actually new story, instead of repeating the same story beats

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Ok but your not going to revive it with white people either. I mean generally unless I am mistaken most "dying" franchises die. Although slowly. Very few franchises have long life spans, Bond, Star Wars, I guess Marvel although that is so diverse not sure if thats a singular franchise. But most franchises just fade away.
    That's the author's point. No matter what, it's dying so are studios putting in diverse casts to them use that failure to justify not using diverse casts. It's asking if there's a circular logic at work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    That's the author's point. No matter what, it's dying so are studios putting in diverse casts to them use that failure to justify not using diverse casts. It's asking if there's a circular logic at work.
    Ok but I guess I don't really care. I mean if they want to try something different its no skin off my back. Granted it hasn't worked but its their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think you're looking in the wrong place, yes - you're looking in the comics, which is the only place where John is in Hal's shadow (Hal is the character over John in the live action movie, GL:TAS, and the DCAMU, but that's an extension of DC Comic bigwigs calling the shots, who are the same guys keeping Hal on top in comics).
    It sounds like you're saying that GL is the Hal Jordan Show in all its facets, which is kinda the opposite of John being popular?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Like the BoP movie. It didn't suck because it was all girls or a property not well know it sucked because... well, actually I'm the only one who likes it.
    I like it, too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Terminator could be rebooted with an actually new story, instead of repeating the same story beats
    No you can't, Terminator has two stories

1.Terminator tries to kill person in the past

2. Terminators/skynet takes over the world in future

We need stop pretending some stuff are franchise, Terminator, Predator, Aliens have limited scope of what you can do. You can tell interesting stories with them still but stories are going to have the same beats. Every story has beginning, middle and end. As example

T1- They back to kill Sarah Connor and cool time loop angle
    T2- They came back to kill John and they try to stop Skynet
    T3- They taught they had stop skynet(again they came back to kill john) but they didn't so they try to stop again but story was Skynet was inventible.

There is one story to tell after that which was humans fighting against Skynet and final battle with skynet.

Terminator Salvation- kinda starts to that final battle but does a twist with terminator infiltration story
    Terminator Genesis- Makes them win that final battle but then does a remix of T1/T2

Terminator Dark Fate: Ignores T3 and the movies after it, They get rid of Skynet and put a new threat to carry on the franchise thus rebooting it

But there is only one way the story can go which is final battle with robots. Unless they pull a fast and furious the franchise is dead, Most franchise can't go from psuedo realistic crime drama to superhero spy action adventure movies. So unless Aliens or Predators start dropping at the end of Terminator movie the franchise is dead because there is only limited space to go in a logical story. All of this say instead of giving us a good final story they keep trying to make it "franchise".
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-09-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

On Top of that Terminator is way to connected with Schwarzenegger, who is way to old to play that role, and can't really replaced by an other actor.

And Pirates has the same Problem. The thing that people loved about these movies was Depp as Jack Sparrow, there isn't much of a point in making Pirates movies without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    On Top of that Terminator is way to connected with Schwarzenegger, who is way to old to play that role, and can't really replaced by an other actor.

And Pirates has the same Problem. The thing that people loved about these movies was Depp as Jack Sparrow, there isn't much of a point in making Pirates movies without him.
    I think it's best to just let the franchises end, in this case. Honestly let Hollywood die as well. They're creatively bankrupt at this point and likely to go bankrupt currently even with their subsidies and the fact that they don't pay taxes most of the time.

Let the old system die. Something new can come along.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    We need stop pretending some stuff are franchise, Terminator, Predator, Aliens have limited scope of what you can do. You can tell interesting stories with them still but stories are going to have the same beats.
    Depends how much leeway within the box. Case in point Jurassic Park; started as one thing (people trapped on dinosaur islands) and is now something else (dinosaurs and cloning tech are now becoming part of our everyday world, which will change everything).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    No you can't, Terminator has two stories

1.Terminator tries to kill person in the past

2. Terminators/skynet takes over the world in future

We need stop pretending some stuff are franchise, Terminator, Predator, Aliens have limited scope of what you can do. You can tell interesting stories with them still but stories are going to have the same beats. Every story has beginning, middle and end. As example

T1- They back to kill Sarah Connor and cool time loop angle
    T2- They came back to kill John and they try to stop Skynet
    T3- They taught they had stop skynet(again they came back to kill john) but they didn't so they try to stop again but story was Skynet was inventible.

There is one story to tell after that which was humans fighting against Skynet and final battle with skynet.

Terminator Salvation- kinda starts to that final battle but does a twist with terminator infiltration story
    Terminator Genesis- Makes them win that final battle but then does a remix of T1/T2

Terminator Dark Fate: Ignores T3 and the movies after it, They get rid of Skynet and put a new threat to carry on the franchise thus rebooting it

But there is only one way the story can go which is final battle with robots. Unless they pull a fast and furious the franchise is dead, Most franchise can't go from psuedo realistic crime drama to superhero spy action adventure movies. So unless Aliens or Predators start dropping at the end of Terminator movie the franchise is dead because there is only limited space to go in a logical story. All of this say instead of giving us a good final story they keep trying to make it "franchise".
    Very true with Terminator.

The thing is, the step taken with Terminator Salvation really was the way to go. Terminator Dark Fate was just a gender swapped T2 and brought absolutely nothing new to the franchse. Unless they do something very, very drastic with it, there's little way to go.

Aliens and Predator have a lot more franchise potential. The very first Alien movie teased events that took place before it and Predators showed that you could take the story in some interesting directions.

I'm of the opinion that art should always imitate real life in some form or fashion to resonate with people so diversity is always a plus. There is nothing wrong with an entirely female Ghostbusters team or a female Doctor Who or a POC James Bond. If done correctly these should allow these franchises to reach a wider audience. The problem is studios take the lazy route and just cast some minorities in lead roles without writing a cohesive story. The movie bombs at the box office, certain self proclaimed "nerds" blame the minorities. In the end the studio does a disservice to both the fans of the franchise and the minorities they tried to profit from.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I'm of the opinion that art should always imitate real life in some form or fashion to resonate with people so diversity is always a plus. There is nothing wrong with an entirely female Ghostbusters team or a female Doctor Who or a POC James Bond. If done correctly these should allow these franchises to reach a wider audience. The problem is studios take the lazy route and just cast some minorities in lead roles without writing a cohesive story. The movie bombs at the box office, certain self proclaimed "nerds" blame the minorities. In the end the studio does a disservice to both the fans of the franchise and the minorities they tried to profit from.
    Agreed 100%.