Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    You're using the wrong argument IF you want to follow the train of thought that the article was peddling that "Hollywood is using Diversity to justify potential doomed franchise -which in this case is Snow White the least favorite Disney Princess in the whole line then I would agree.
    Snow White is a product of a 1939 film, Sure she is the least favoured Disney princess from a 2021 lense. however as I read snow white , i pretty much remember the details of her appearance.

Skin as white as snow

Hair as black as night.

those were the descriptions. they are as important as sleeping beauty actually needing to sleep or Cinderella Needing to sit under the Cinders.

This is just pandering at the worst and fake diversity as I already mentioned, trying to play both sides like Zandaya not really playing Mary Jane. if these people really care , I think what they should do is actually just call the film Snow Latinx and I am not joking.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-24-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Snow White is a product of a 1939 film, Sure she is the least favoured Disney princess from a 2021 lense. however as I read snow white , i pretty much remember the details of her appearance.

Skin as white as snow

Hair as black as night.

those were the descriptions. they are as important as sleeping beauty actually needing to sleep or Cinderella Needing to sit under the Cinders.

This is just pandering at the worst and fake diversity as I already mentioned, trying to play both sides like Zandaya not really playing Mary Jane. if these people really care , I think what they should do is actually just call the film Snow Latinx and I am not joking.
    If they cast her because she sings incredibly well it's not pandering though...and that seems like why they cast her.

Skin as white as snow

Hair as black as night.

Honestly, if they want to cast a non-white actress in the role, all they have to do is change the physical description and, instead, say she is called "Snow White" for a metaphorical reason: because she is innocent and naive.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Honestly this casing for Snow doesn’t bother me as much as the Ariel one, but that’s because Ariel without bright red hair is going to be weird as heck to me. But the singing voice will probably counter that.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Honestly, if they want to cast a non-white actress in the role, all they have to do is change the physical description and, instead, say she is called "Snow White" for a metaphorical reason: because she is innocent and naive.
    Yes, this.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Honestly this casing for Snow doesn’t bother me as much as the Ariel one, but that’s because Ariel without bright red hair is going to be weird as heck to me. But the singing voice will probably counter that.
    There are many black women that look amazing with red hair

rihanna-2011-grammys-look[1].jpg

Also fishes have different shades of skin color. Gold, silver, pink. Black Ariel is fine. Latin Snow white. I dont think so.

Also why are people making it about voice or vocal performances when disney can just do a dubbing?

Amazing Member

I cant remember, but did the adaptions of Snow White keep the whole "Skin as white as snow" bit in...because if so, thats rather inaccurate in general considering no adaption really had the character be really white as snow.

I dont care what skin color Ariel, Snow white, Rapunzel etc have, unless its specificly pointed out or needs to be a thing.
    But i doubt a completely literally White as snow, Snow white would work visually any kind of way, so its not really a make or break point to me.

You can easily keep the "Skin as white as snow" out of the story because the description is just meant to give the reader a poetic description of her beauty.
    If that is a point that needs to be made, you can do that however with dark skin too.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post
    I cant remember, but did the adaptions of Snow White keep the whole "Skin as white as snow" bit in
    The Disney one did but that's the one I'm mostly familiar with.

Yeah, I am not the hugest fan of Snow White or Disney (and its princesses) in general, but I am familiar with Snow White, remember watching it as a kid, and honestly had no recollection whatsoever about "snow white" being a description of the character's appearance, until reading this discussion. And I mean ... you know, I'm generally familiar with Jasmine, Belle, Ariel, Moana, etc, and along with that general knowledge, remember the Dwarves, an evil queen jealous of Snow White, and a prince kissing her, to wake her up. All of which to say, I kind of feel like the exact details of her physical appearance are not really crucial to the story. Honestly, for modern day, you could cast a Kardashian/Jenner and let their mom be the evil queen, and that would probably work for the kids of today, seeing as those ladies have a financial empire built primarily on beauty and fashion.

Recalling the prince waking her by kissing her, I wonder if they will keep that part in, seeing as it is unavoidably a violation of consent.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Yeah, I am not the hugest fan of Snow White or Disney (and its princesses) in general, but I am familiar with Snow White, remember watching it as a kid, and honestly had no recollection whatsoever about "snow white" being a description of the character's appearance, until reading this discussion. And I mean ... you know, I'm generally familiar with Jasmine, Belle, Ariel, Moana, etc, and along with that general knowledge, remember the Dwarves, an evil queen jealous of Snow White, and a prince kissing her, to wake her up. All of which to say, I kind of feel like the exact details of her physical appearance are not really crucial to the story. Honestly, for modern day, you could cast a Kardashian/Jenner and let their mom be the evil queen, and that would probably work for the kids of today, seeing as those ladies have a financial empire built primarily on beauty and fashion.

Recalling the prince waking her by kissing her, I wonder if they will keep that part in, seeing as it is unavoidably a violation of consent.
    Maybe they'll change it to be like in the Grimm version: at first sight the Prince goes "she pretty" so his men pick up the coffin and accidentally drop it forcing the apple slice out of her throat. Or people will just have to accept this hard truth: because of the conditions of the poison (at least the Disney version) a kiss of true love was the only way Snow would wake up otherwise she might as well have been buried alive like the Queen laughed at the idea of it happening to her. Basically "Kiss of True Love" is fairytale CPR after all a person who has lost consciousness can't give consent for someone to touch their chest and (unless there is a breathing bag to use) would require lip-to-lip contact. Or a kiss on the forehead or cheek will be done instead of the lips

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    Maybe they'll change it to be like in the Grimm version: at first sight the Prince goes "she pretty" so his men pick up the coffin and accidentally drop it forcing the apple slice out of her throat. Or people will just have to accept this hard truth: because of the conditions of the poison (at least the Disney version) a kiss of true love was the only way Snow would wake up otherwise she might as well have been buried alive like the Queen laughed at the idea of it happening to her. Basically "Kiss of True Love" is fairytale CPR after all a person who has lost consciousness can't give consent for someone to touch their chest and (unless there is a breathing bag to use) would require lip-to-lip contact. Or a kiss on the forehead or cheek will be done instead of the lips
    The Maleficent remake did have a bit of fun with the implications r.e. consent (and an explanation behind the kiss requirement in the first place). IMHO, under the circumstances, I think the victim of the curse in question would be forgiving, considering that having the curse broken would be better then staying under it (at least I know I would), although I would certainly take offense at the person in question expecting a marriage after the fact.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post
    I cant remember, but did the adaptions of Snow White keep the whole "Skin as white as snow" bit in...because if so, thats rather inaccurate in general considering no adaption really had the character be really white as snow.

I dont care what skin color Ariel, Snow white, Rapunzel etc have, unless its specificly pointed out or needs to be a thing.
    But i doubt a completely literally White as snow, Snow white would work visually any kind of way, so its not really a make or break point to me.

You can easily keep the "Skin as white as snow" out of the story because the description is just meant to give the reader a poetic description of her beauty.
    If that is a point that needs to be made, you can do that however with dark skin too.
    While I've seen the original Disney version, I haven't followed other adaptations. I saw the one on "Once Upon A Time" where her skin was clearly not "snow white". I don't recall if they ever explained why she was named that in the show. But I think it was metaphorical, because she was always the one who would do the right thing.
    Power with Girl is better.

Niffleheim

While I've seen the original Disney version, I haven't followed other adaptations. I saw the one on "Once Upon A Time" where her skin was clearly not "snow white". I don't recall if they ever explained why she was named that in the show. But I think it was metaphorical, because she was always the one who would do the right thing.
    The origin of her name Snow in the tv adaptation is she was born in the harshest winter and White is the family name.
    Last edited by Tofali; 06-25-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

THough if that was the only way to wake her there was no way for the prince to get her consent...

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

There are many black women that look amazing with red hair
    I am sure they do, but we already know that live action Ariel won’t have red hair thanks to filming leaks, which is the aspect that defined Ariel more than anything else in the animated movie.