Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is Hollywood Using Diversity To Justify Potentially Doomed Franchises?

Scott Mendolson

"Hollywood is using inclusivity and diversity as an alibi for rebooting outdated franchises and past-their-prime properties, setting an entire generation of “not a white guy” talent up to fail commercially."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=7b7bc83c3a3e

On one hand I can see where he is coming from. No one wanted another Charlie's Angels. On the other hand sometimes the talent is failed by the creatives like Star Trek Discovery. Sometimes everything is terrible like in Terminatorark Fate
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Sadly I am thinking ...yes.

This Hollywood folks , keep using diversity as some random one sided political statement than a natural evolution of the world that is diverse based on good knowledge than shallow politics.

The should be making a Wizard of Earthsea trilogy. It's a classic series that was deliberately written with the main characters being of colour. Though perhaps it's not so well known any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The should be making a Wizard of Earthsea trilogy. It's a classic series that was deliberately written with the main characters being of colour. Though perhaps it's not so well known any more?
    Is it toyetic?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Is it toyetic?
    Damn you for making me learn a new word!

And no, probably not.

BANNED

Diversity is better than seeing a cisgender white male in every role. Even today movies still don’t reflect the reality of our diverse society.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Damn you for making me learn a new word!

And no, probably not.
    What's really sad is that from now on whenever you start a new science fiction our fantasy property you will subconsciously scan for toyetic elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Scott Mendolson

"Hollywood is using inclusivity and diversity as an alibi for rebooting outdated franchises and past-their-prime properties, setting an entire generation of “not a white guy” talent up to fail commercially."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=7b7bc83c3a3e

On one hand I can see where he is coming from. No one wanted another Charlie's Angels. On the other hand sometimes the talent is failed by the creatives like Star Trek Discovery. Sometimes everything is terrible like in Terminatorark Fate
    Superman...they consider Superman outdated and past-his-prime as a property.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Everyone working in Hollywood "Why would anyone with that much power not be a jerk?!"

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Honestly whenever Hollywood race changes or diversifies a reboot, I don't have the energy to argue if it's beneficial or not anymore to diversity. I'd rather just wait to see if it's actually good.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, it really just depends on whether the final product is good

Hollywood realized that diversity sells and are trying to cash in on it. Older generations are dying and newer people are coming into power.

However, just having a diverse cast isn't going to cut it. You still need a good story, casting, marketing and all that. As people's options increase, they will become pickier about what to watch and nobody is going to settle for something less than fulfilling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Honestly whenever Hollywood race changes or diversifies a reboot, I don't have the energy to argue if it's beneficial or not anymore to diversity. I'd rather just wait to see if it's actually good.
    The track record so far does not look too good. this is because they are obsessing over the wrong thing.

I see some already dreading Lord of the rings tv on amazon because good ol genius JRR Tolkien universe wont be celebrated for the genius high fantasy universe he created, but some are rightly scared they will take a work of a man, who wrote his stories in the 50s based on what western Europe was then and try and update it to their own version of how they think the world now is.

now maybe that will achieve some diversity stuff in Hollywood definition of what they think diversity is, however in terms of artistic merit. the peter jackson movies will wipe the floor with the amazon series, because that was actually good just as an art form even if some things in that movie may not have aged well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    From other posts from that author on the subject, he's talking about how looking at the receipts Superman hasn't had a bonafide blockbuster in decades (Man of Steel IIRC didn't lose the studio money at the time but we all know what the reception to that one ultimately led to) and compares him to MCU Hulk, who as a character is fine to keep appearing in movies but doesn't get solo movies anymore.

Not to say I can't imagine a great Superman movie being made (if they can use someone like Brainiac or Mxyzptlk for once instead of yet another Luthor I'm automatically in), but the concern is if general audiences would be too disinterested by then to give it a try. If that Superman happens to be black, that's just going to be extra crap on the resulting media coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    From other posts from that author on the subject, he's talking about how looking at the receipts Superman hasn't had a bonafide blockbuster in decades (Man of Steel IIRC didn't lose the studio money at the time but we all know what the reception to that one ultimately led to) and compares him to MCU Hulk, who as a character is fine to keep appearing in movies but doesn't get solo movies anymore.

Not to say I can't imagine a great Superman movie being made (if they can use someone like Brainiac or Mxyzptlk for once instead of yet another Luthor I'm automatically in), but the concern is if general audiences would be too disinterested by then to give it a try. If that Superman happens to be black, that's just going to be extra crap on the resulting media coverage.
    Although in Hulk's case doesn't Universal still own some of the film rights or distribution rights or something?

And I don't think it's the character's fault, or a disinterest from the audience - it's that the people in charge of making these films fundamentally don't get the character and thus can't make a good movie with him. There's just something about Superman that doesn't click with the WB execs, so they make movies that can't click with audiences.
    If Marvel/Disney had Superman? They'd make a billion dollar Superman movie easy. And I'm talking outside of the MCU stuff and hype - I just feel they get Superman's type of character better. He's basically Captain America with Captain Marvel's power set, of course they'd do better with him, they can understand that type of hero. But to WB it's just a mystery they can't crack, and rather than blame themselves for not getting his appeal they just blame him.