Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Exactly. Marvel gets that an audience will respond positively to a character that has a positive attitude and is basically a hero. DC sits around wondering how they can make Superman "relevant" and a character people will care about. They don't get it. Try presenting him as what he already is and was.

The problem is that DC made a mistake. They looked at the niche audience of comic book readers who have stuck around because they like dark and depressing. The legions of comic readers who don't like that mostly walked away long ago. So, by default, of course that's what most comic readers seem to want.

Marvel realized there is a vastly greater audience out there that would respond to something closer to what comic books once were and in a medium, movies and television, that don't have the distribution problems of comics and can readily reach that greater audience.

So, yes, Marvel doing a Superman movie would most likely be the Superman people want to see and be done right. As you said, the personality of MCU Captain America and the power level of MCU Captain Marvel.
    Yep, bingo. Of course Disney would infuse it with that MCU house style quippy/snarky comedy, but I'd gladly take that for a Superman who's just a good heroic guy who just has fun with being a good heroic guy and loves it. I have my problem with Marvel Studios, but god they could do Superman's personality justice. I don't know why WB finds it so difficult - are there too many execs there who are sociopaths or something?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yep, bingo. Of course Disney would infuse it with that MCU house style quippy/snarky comedy, but I'd gladly take that for a Superman who's just a good heroic guy who just has fun with being a good heroic guy and loves it. I have my problem with Marvel Studios, but god they could do Superman's personality justice. I don't know why WB finds it so difficult - are there too many execs there who are sociopaths or something?
    For now I'm a take the good with the bad guy when it comes to this, feeling that years of Superman mismanagement are worth WB still devoting themselves to a lot of proven popular R-rated content not just superheroes, to the point I'd have more faith in a hypothetical Hitman movie than a Deadpool 3 movie fully owned by Disney and not only because faithfully adapting the source comics means Superman would be in it. Maybe Gunn's Suicide Squad sucking will make me change my mind on this, but I want to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    For now I'm a take the good with the bad guy when it comes to this, feeling that years of Superman mismanagement are worth WB still devoting themselves to a lot of proven popular R-rated content not just superheroes, to the point I'd have more faith in a hypothetical Hitman movie than a Deadpool 3 movie fully owned by Disney and not only because faithfully adapting the source comics means Superman would be in it. Maybe Gunn's Suicide Squad sucking will make me change my mind on this, but I want to like it.
    I'm sorry, I didn't really manage to follow that. I'm not sure how Superman mismanagement related to R-rated movies and a Hitman vs Deadpool 3 and...yeah, I apologize but I'm confused here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. I would've liked a continuation, but I thought a reboot would've been ok had the plot not basically been a poor rehash of the first movie. And if any of the actresses were given actually funny dialogue. Chris Hemsworth seemed to get most of the laughs
    To me the trailer of Ghostbusters looked more like a bad spoof movie of the original than anything else.

Of course not everyone liked it. I didn't. But it was getting bashed due to sexist reasons before it even came out. Same with Captain Marvel.
    In an ideal world, the Ghostbusters reboot would have been seen as an average at best comedy that would have been forgotten about in a few months. But in the world we live in, it will forever be remembered as one of the prime examples of how bad fan discourse can get, not just for fans but for the people involved in the movie.

BANNED

Can't requote however I think it was something said by Babyblob here about how there was no need to race bend the characters and Hollywood needs to get this message that there is no need to race bend the characters because noone is really asking for it. not even POC.

I am a person of colour and no I dont need to see any LOTR character become black. JRR Tolkien who was white wrote the stories based on what he himself looked Like and what his own country and continent looked like. I can respect that in my own race tolerance bubble and not pounce on his world and demand that Amazon Prime TV must make Frodo, Sam, Aragorn or Arwen black or asiain or gay, otherwise I will not watch.

If Hollywood wants to impress me as a POC, they should make a high budget fantasy series of Nigerian's classic tale of Things Fall Apart, a book that is just as good as Lord of the rings in literacy.

Does Hollywood even know that many of the race bending criticism are not from mostly white people but people of color themselves who are tired of been fake tokens. yes, it is fake tokenism because it does not matter how anyone tries to reimagine Peter Parker or Clark Kent. They would always be white guys when we imagine him in our heads because their comics has told us so for almost 80 years and this is just a fact regardless of any alternate reality versions of the characters.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-11-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In an ideal world, the Ghostbusters reboot would have been seen as an average at best comedy that would have been forgotten about in a few months. But in the world we live in, it will forever be remembered as one of the prime examples of how bad fan discourse can get, not just for fans but for the people involved in the movie.
    Quoted for truth.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Can't requote however I think it was something said by Babyblob here about how there was no need to race bend the characters and Hollywood needs to get this message that there is no need to race bend the characters because noone is really asking for it. not even POC.

I am a person of colour and no I dont need to see any LOTR character become black. JRR Tolkien who was white wrote the stories based on what he himself looked Like and what his own country and continent looked like. I can respect that in my own race tolerance bubble and not pounce on his world and demand that Amazon Prime TV must make Frodo, Sam, Aragorn or Arwen black or asiain or gay, otherwise I will not watch.

If Hollywood wants to impress me as a POC, they should make a high budget fantasy series of Nigerian's classic tale of Things Fall Apart, a book that is just as good as Lord of the rings in literacy.

Does Hollywood even know that many of the race bending criticism are not from mostly white people but people of color themselves who are tired of been fake tokens. yes, it is fake tokenism because it does not matter how anyone tries to reimagine Peter Parker or Clark Kent. They would always be white guys when we imagine him in our heads because their comics has told us so for almost 80 years and this is just a fact regardless of any alternate reality versions of the characters.
    Things Fall Apart is NOT AT ALL high fantasy.

It's an historical drama about colonial South-Eastl Nigeria and the difficulties of one man (Okonkwo) trying very hard to outdo what he saw as his failure of a father. It has several themes from family to gender roles to colonialism.

There are African fantasy stories like an African Night's Entertainment but Things Fall Apart is NOT fantasy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I didn't mind when I heard GB was going to be an all women team - that could work, sure. No, where they lost me was when they said it was going to be a reboot. Look, you can reboot superheroes, James Bond, certain other franchises that've had a long history of changing actors. You can't reboot Ghostbusters. My interest went from "must see" to "never gonna see". I remember telling my mom that it was going to be a reboot and she lost all interest too.

On the flip side, I actually have interest in and plan to see Afterlife - because it's continuing the story!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    To me the trailer of Ghostbusters looked more like a bad spoof movie of the original than anything else.
    Yes, I would never forget when I saw the trailer for Ghostbusters, I could tell it was not going to be good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Things Fall Apart is NOT AT ALL high fantasy.

It's an historical drama about colonial South-Eastl Nigeria and the difficulties of one man (Okonkwo) trying very hard to outdo what he saw as his failure of a father. It has several themes from family to gender roles to colonialism.

There are African fantasy stories like an African Night's Entertainment but Things Fall Apart is NOT fantasy.
    I think I mispoke...I should have said urban fantasy fiction but maybe I will stick more to more high fantasy in terms of scope and grand scale of story telling. that means a African driven version of the series to match what Lord of the rings was in that form of medium. Or the other alternative way would be follow what The Crown did, if you want to go for full fictional-sub-realism with things fall apart, where it is a mix of fiction and reality which is what things fall apart was also part off but not fully to the extent of the crown because not all of the characters in the crown are fiction. Things Fall Apart book was many things and covered many genres and Hollywood would run by what will work best. Also you know LOTR was based on real Europe right though it is pure high fantasy tale?

Anyway back to Things Fall Apart. I saw the Nigerian version as a kid with Pete Edochie as Okonkwo, one of the most iconic African actors of all time and today criminal that he never made it big in Hollywood. Also you know the part of things fall apart that will fall more into high/urban fantasy from Hollywood pov because it dealt many ''witch craft African stuff' ever heard of the term Native Doctors, Oracles and Baba-Lawos used in the Nigeria tribes of Igbos or Yorubas and some of their tales by moonlight stories? that cannot and would not be taken as ''real'' in a Hollywood film and tv series, so it will have to go under some sort of fantasy....urban will be the best.

But yes, better Hollywood makes Things Fall Apart in some form than race bending Lord of the Rings.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-13-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

When I look at a cast publicity photo I look for people I recognize and recall my experience in watching that person. However, over the past couple of years, it seems that some people will look at the same photo and only see the race of each cast member.
    My flag is bacon.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Rebooting wasn't the problem. Doing the sane basic story was the problem with Ghostbusters
    The movie was unfunny, characters are annoying and unlikable, things got outright stupid when the principal villain dies. The story ain't the problem. It's execution was.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    ok

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sadly true

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The movie was unfunny, characters are annoying and unlikable, things got outright stupid when the principal villain dies. The story ain't the problem. It's execution was.
    True. My point was it followed a lot of the same story beats as the first one.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

True. My point was it followed a lot of the same story beats as the first one.
    It wouldn't have put itself in that position if they chose not to reboot. Like another poster here said, Ghostbusters isn't a franchise that needs to be rebooted. It's one that continues. It would have been more beneficial of this team was simply the branch of their city. You would think in the time between the game and 2016 the business would have greatly expanded.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Haha, no, I'm just making a jab at DC for not adapting him already
    That is the really bad thing. They did do an amazing version of Brainiac on the Krypton series, and yet the movies are too afraid to do anything but Luther and Zoe. They were able to do Brainiac so good, and that was on a TV show budget. Just imagine how cool Brainiac could be with a big movie budget behind him.