Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I am not saying any one should be censored. Im just saying that in a free speech country hate speech will always find a place and a platform.
    Probably yeah.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm really not liking the take that anyone who doesn't like a change or replacement to a character is automatically a bigot of some kind.

Are people just not allowed to dislike when writers make changes to characters they enjoy anymore?
    Haven't you heard? There's a war going on...a culture war...

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I am not saying any one should be censored. Im just saying that in a free speech country hate speech will always find a place and a platform.
    Sadly, yes.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm really not liking the take that anyone who doesn't like a change or replacement to a character is automatically a bigot of some kind.

Are people just not allowed to dislike when writers make changes to characters they enjoy anymore?
    No they are not. I commented on the whole black Superman thing a somewhere and how it will not matter if the movie is good or bad film critics with have to say they love it or the twitter thought police mob will come after them. That is just a sad truth these days. If you don't like something you get labeled. Your a sexist. Your a racist. Your a misogynist. It does not matter if the movie or TV show is just awful if you go against the agenda pushers they come after you. Critics say this doesn't effect them, but you can tell thats a lie. When was the last time you saw a big movie or TV show that was obviously pushing a hard agenda get any bad press, and on the off chance it did how bad did the critic get crucified online and labeled. People can have their careers ruined if they give one bad review these days and earn the scorn of the Twitter mob.

Ultimate Member

I don't think anyone here is saying you can't dislike race-bending. Just that many who do are racist. But this whole "woke Twitter is oppressing free speech" thing seems like an exaggeration to me.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't think anyone here is saying you can't dislike race-bending. Just that many who do are racist. But this whole "woke Twitter is oppressing free speech" thing seems like an exaggeration to me.
    Only it's not. They are pretty rapid in defense of things that support their ideology. Can't seem to handle things that ain't aimed at them and can't leave well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Only it's not. They are pretty rapid in defense of things that support their ideology. Can't seem to handle things that ain't aimed at them and can't leave well enough alone.
    Unlike the response to dropping "Mr." for Potato Head?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Who exactly are you talking about?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It really isn't reality...I've never felt oppressed by opinions voiced on twitter.

This just feels like a real life example of one of those, "Tell me again which views are being censored" memes, where the answer is always, "You know which views..."

The fact that people being "mean" on social media is being used to show oppression in comparison to actual complaints about systematic oppression (that's been happening for decades upon decades) really says it all.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The fact that people being "mean" on social media is being used to show oppression in comparison to actual complaints about systematic oppression (that's been happening for decades upon decades) really says it all.
    Ironic since a lot of anti-SJW types say everyone else is easily triggered, while ignoring how fragile they are themselves

It’s not tiring at all hearing privileged people use their seemingly endless airtime on the mainstream news media to talk about how they are being “silenced”. I actually hope they never find out what real censorship looks like.

Ironic since a lot of anti-SJW types say everyone else is easily triggered, while ignoring how fragile they are themselves
    They lack self-awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It’s not tiring at all hearing privileged people use their seemingly endless airtime on the mainstream news media to talk about how they are being “silenced”. I actually hope they never find out what real censorship looks like.
    Right. They've only experienced a modicum of what actual marginalized groups have for a fraction of the time and they're acting like it's the end of the world.

The other funny thing is the people that are "oppressing" them tend to be other white folks. So even if what they believe I'd happening was, it's still not at all the same thing.

Ultimate Member

They lack self-awareness.

Right. They've only experienced a modicum of what actual marginalized groups have for a fraction of the time and they're acting like it's the end of the world.

The other funny thing is the people that are "oppressing" them tend to be other white folks. So even if what they believe I'd happening was, it's still not at all the same thing.
    Much of this projection is probably a concerted effort to downplay the legitimate concerns of actually oppressed groups.

Astonishing Member

Much of this projection is probably a concerted effort to downplay the legitimate concerns of actually oppressed groups.
    Exactly. "Woke mob" and "cancel culture" just are quick easily accessible labels to slap on and ignore real issues.

I don't think there's any "probably" about it. That's definitely what they're doing.