Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Trust me I know all about racism and being oppressed. However it doesn't define me and I don't want to rant 24/7 about it. Most of the time I want to be entertained and enjoy life. Not cry on my soapbox about how life has treated my ancestors like second class citizens. Or how life hasn't treated me fair because of my ethic background.
    Well good for you.

Too bad your leaders aren't affording certain people in the country the luxury of simply being entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Trust me I know all about racism and being oppressed. However it doesn't define me and I don't want to rant 24/7 about it. Most of the time I want to be entertained and enjoy life. Not cry on my soapbox about how life has treated my ancestors like second class citizens. Or how life hasn't treated me fair because of my ethic background.
    See it's this kind of hyperbolic nonsense that annoys me. Nobody is ranting "24/7" about it. That's just a way for you to dismiss legitimate criticisms and complaints about real issues. It's intellectually dishonest. Especially when you seem to have zero problem about the other side ranting.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I really don't get where these kinds of comments are coming from.
    If they are complaining about being censored or silenced or cancelled, and I can read them, it's like, 'what sorcery is this? How am I so magical? Fear not, dear oppressed people, I can see you!'

Anywho, as to the topic, no. There have been dubious remakes my entire 50-plus year life, endless and silly and ill-advised. Remakes with diverse casts are just one more drop in a bucket that was filled to overflowing before I was even born. The *fourteenth* recast of Sherlock Holmes being a diverse person isn't going to change the fact that he's already been rebooted a dozen times with white dudes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Apologies to all Hal Jordan fans, but John Stewart was/is the GL they should be trying to make into a movie star. It's been what? 15 years since Justice League Unlimited ended? And it's still what people want to think of when they think of good DC? And 15 years is just the right amount of time for nostalgia to kick in and drive a franchise revival into overdrive.

Cyborg was their only black DCEU hero, and they had to ruin that relationship with Fisher. It just feels like such a waste...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It is a waste. They could do a Cyborg movie featuring other Titans, and a Hal-John buddy movie! They could do so much more.
    If there was any competence in launching a cinematic shared DC universe, the GL property easily allows for an ensemble film series within just the GL IP, let alone crossing over into the JL films. It is the one franchise DC has that could sidestep all the mantle/legacy fandom infighting. Hal and John could star in a buddy cop movie and get equal billing, which if done right would redeem Hal at the movies and finally get John out there. They could take turns showing up in the JL team up movies or leading the GL films: Hal could co-found the League, while John leads GL2. John could then show up in JL while Hal is on a mission in GL3, or off showing up in one of the Flash films, etc. And the big event movies (think the equivalent of Endgame) could feature both of them, if not also some of others.

But no...let's shelve the GL property and race bend Superman.

Ironic since a lot of anti-SJW types say everyone else is easily triggered, while ignoring how fragile they are themselves
    They are often the most thin skinned people out there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    See it's this kind of hyperbolic nonsense that annoys me. Nobody is ranting "24/7" about it. That's just a way for you to dismiss legitimate criticisms and complaints about real issues. It's intellectually dishonest. Especially when you seem to have zero problem about the other side ranting.
    It's 24/7 to some people even if they only hear it once or twice every 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If there was any competence in launching a cinematic shared DC universe, the GL property easily allows for an ensemble film series within just the GL IP, let alone crossing over into the JL films. It is the one franchise DC has that could sidestep all the mantle/legacy fandom infighting. Hal and John could star in a buddy cop movie and get equal billing, which if done right would redeem Hal at the movies and finally get John out there. They could take turns showing up in the JL team up movies or leading the GL films: Hal could co-found the League, while John leads GL2. John could then show up in JL while Hal is on a mission in GL3, or off showing up in one of the Flash films, etc. And the big event movies (think the equivalent of Endgame) could feature both of them, if not also some of others.

Yeah, GL already has several heroes who could interact with one another. They could even have Hal and John go up against Guy

They are often the most thin skinned people out there.
    True. But as many have pointed out here, it's projection

The 2011 film must've really, really, really scarred them. They're giving Guy, Alan, and Jessica a HBO Max show that'll hopefully turn things around, and there's "rumors" that Hal and John are being saved for a film, but I'm not getting my hopes up until it's a done deal. I'm not a GL fan myself, not really, but it's a no brainer franchise that DC should be pursuing more because if done well it could be a huge mega property for them. It's got diversity, it's got the Star Wars/Guardians of the Galaxy type space stuff, it's a superhero franchise, it ticks a lot of boxes that most studios would kill for! It makes no sense WB hasn't done more with it.

Ultimate Member

The 2011 film must've really, really, really scarred them. They're giving Guy, Alan, and Jessica a HBO Max show that'll hopefully turn things around, and there's "rumors" that Hal and John are being saved for a film, but I'm not getting my hopes up until it's a done deal. I'm not a GL fan myself, not really, but it's a no brainer franchise that DC should be pursuing more because if done well it could be a huge mega property for them. It's got diversity, it's got the Star Wars/Guardians of the Galaxy type space stuff, it's a superhero franchise, it ticks a lot of boxes that most studios would kill for! It makes no sense WB hasn't done more with it.
    This is WB we're talking about after all. They greenlit Suicide Squad before Wonder Woman, Justice League, Aquaman, etc.

This is WB we're talking about after all. They greenlit Suicide Squad before Wonder Woman, Justice League, Aquaman, etc.
    WB is run by a lot of nonsensical people - and this is from a big Harley Quinn fan.

Ultimate Member

WB is run by a lot of nonsensical people - and this is from a big Harley Quinn fan.
    At least Harley has a fanbase. Who's clamoring for all thr other nobodies from SS?

At least Harley has a fanbase. Who's clamoring for all thr other nobodies from SS?
    I hate statements like this. Every character has fans, every character has potential.

I just don't understand why they don't look to their ANIMATED UNIVERSE for inspiration. It's the most successful interpretation of their heroes outside of comics and they feel they are above it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I hate statements like this. Every character has fans, every character has potential.
    I see what you mean. Maybe I was wrong to say that. My point is there are many heroes who have yet to get adapted, despite having decades of history, but DC doesn't seem to be making much effort there

I see what you mean. Maybe I was wrong to say that. My point is there are many heroes who have yet to get adapted, despite having decades of history, but DC doesn't seem to be making much effort there
    Fair enough.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If they are complaining about being censored or silenced or cancelled, and I can read them, it's like, 'what sorcery is this? How am I so magical? Fear not, dear oppressed people, I can see you!'

Anywho, as to the topic, no. There have been dubious remakes my entire 50-plus year life, endless and silly and ill-advised. Remakes with diverse casts are just one more drop in a bucket that was filled to overflowing before I was even born. The *fourteenth* recast of Sherlock Holmes being a diverse person isn't going to change the fact that he's already been rebooted a dozen times with white dudes.
    I literally have no idea what you're trying to get across in that first part.

As for the second part, hey a black Sherlock Holmes couldn't hurt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Fair enough.
    In an ideal world, all thr characters would get proper adaptations