Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I thought I had heard that he had Wasp in a script, but it was for a new character (Hope), not Janet?
    Movie underwent a lot of rewrites after Wright left but pre-production was done.

I think it's clear when you watch the first Ant-Man that the Janet backstory was tacked on in the last minute, they didn't have an actress cast for the role and her face was always hidden. Hope was initially rumored to be an antagonist but one of the things we heard about the re writes was expanding Evangelline Lilly's role so I think her whole arc about her father holding her back because of the death of her mother and the costume reveal at the end of the movie was something they wrote in later on.

Considering how much time the second Ant-Man spent recapping events from the first movie I think it's clear that the first movie is now skippable on re watch and the only scene you need to watch is the one where Falcon meets Ant-Man.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Movie underwent a lot of rewrites after Wright left but pre-production was done.

I think it's clear when you watch the first Ant-Man that the Janet backstory was tacked on in the last minute, they didn't have an actress cast for the role and her face was always hidden. Hope was initially rumored to be an antagonist but one of the things we heard about the re writes was expanding Evangelline Lilly's role so I think her whole arc about her father holding her back because of the death of her mother and the costume reveal at the end of the movie was something they wrote in later on.

Considering how much time the second Ant-Man spent recapping events from the first movie I think it's clear that the first movie is now skippable on re watch and the only scene you need to watch is the one where Falcon meets Ant-Man.
    Unless one likes the other scenes in those movies. But anyway, what you're sayin makes sense. I never bought the whole "Hope can't be a hero" business

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

The villain Wright's version was a made for screen nano tech powered character. Hank was rumored to of died in Wright's film instead of being injured. Scott's heist crew was about twelve guys. Janet wasn't mentioned.

Adam McKay and Peyton Reed are the ones who are actually responsible for incorporating more elements from the comics.

The big sticking point between Feige and Edgar Wright seemed to be about how much of the film should be tied to the MCU over the more standalone concept for the film that Edgar and Joe Cornish had been working on before the MCU existed.

Also Scott was more of a master thief and less of a Robin Hood type. I think there is even a deleted scene of him celebrating after robbing an ATM using the Ant-Man suit.

Wrights script might have been fine if the movie came out in 2009 or 2010 but the MCU was in a very different place by 2015. The expectations were different. There was also a demand for more female heroines so just outright not mentioning Janet in the movie and having Hope as an antagonist without having her become the Wasp would have been in bad taste. A lot of rewrites were just damage control.

Ultimate Member

Geez, I didn't realize Wright's version was so out there.

I would've preferred they not include Janet so they could introduce her in a different film as the actual Wasp. Or even replace Hope with Janet... there was no need to create a brand new character. Would it have been weird with Janet dating Scott instead of Hank? Sure. But who cares. Better than creating some rando.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I would've preferred they not include Janet so they could introduce her in a different film as the actual Wasp. Or even replace Hope with Janet... there was no need to create a brand new character. Would it have been weird with Janet dating Scott instead of Hank? Sure. But who cares. Better than creating some rando.
    Technically she did exist in the comics. But I think they could've kept Janet instead of Hope. If Hank was younger, I think then he and Janet would've still been a couple

The film could've Scott work for Hank as his assistant. Hank helps Scott find gainful employment and use his engineering degree. Scott tries to help Hank negotiate with contracts as he's a better businessman and has more street smarts. You build them up as friends so when Scott is tempted to steal the Ant-man gear....it means something.

My intro to Hank was in the Earth's mightiest heroes cartoon. In that show Hank always felt more a reluctant superhero and out of place with the others. So having him be Scott's tech expert like Barry and Cisco/Caitlin was another option.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-17-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The film could've Scott work for Hank as his assistant. Hank helps Scott find gainful employment and use his engineering degree. Scott tries to help Hank negotiate with contracts as he's a better businessman and has more street smarts. You build them up as friends so when Scott is tempted to steal the Ant-man gear....it means something.

My intro to Hank was in the Earth's mightiest heroes cartoon. In that show Hank always felt more a reluctant superhero and out of place with the others. So having him be Scott's tech expert like Barry and Cisco/Caitlin was another option.
    You could also throw in Hank dealing with his mental issues, although Idk if Marvel would've handled that properly at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Not really a rando since Hope Pym is from MC2 universe. The fact that the MCU adapted a character who didn't originate in either 616 or Ultimate universe is kind of a big deal.

I mean, are you suggesting that they make Janet Pym's daughter or his much younger assistant who becomes Wasp and romances Scott instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You could also throw in Hank dealing with his mental issues, although Idk if Marvel would've handled that properly at the time.
    You could hint at it but it might be better to keep it vague. You could have Hank hide it from the others or keep it secret.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    You could hint at it but it might be better to keep it vague. You could have Hank hide it from the others or keep it secret.
    Ok. Maybe it would lead him to take time off to deal with his issues in a positive way, leading Scott to take over

MCU changes and shifts alot in terms of characters, characterization, powers etc and much of it imo is not for the better some is but alot of it I dunno......

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    MCU changes and shifts alot in terms of characters, characterization, powers etc and much of it imo is not for the better some is but alot of it I dunno......
    Which changes did you think were for the better?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. Maybe it would lead him to take time off to deal with his issues in a positive way, leading Scott to take over
    Sure but in my pitch, Hank wasn't a superhero. He was just an eccentric inventor who needed an assistant.