Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default When it comes to Steve Rodgers...

who has been his main love interest in 616? Is it Sharon/Peggy?

It's Sharon. Peggy was Steve's love in WW2.

BANNED

Sharon definitely
    Even Diamondback (rachel) was a bigger love interest than Peggy

This seems similar to how Hank and Jan were treated in the MCU.

But in going with what they felt made superhero movies 'better' for mainstream audiences they went with the idea of doomed love over decades. Don't mind me, but I'm a big fan of 'doomed love' stories, but really hasn't this one been done to death.

There are so many movies about people being lost in time from each other.

What would have been better if they immediately went to the comics - remember? Sharon looked or reminded Cap so much of "the woman he loved" in WW2 that they became an item (in real time it took what, 5 years maybe) but Sharon has been the main woman for cap since about 1970. 50 years.

And another regret, besides the ill treatment of Hank and Jan, the original Antman and the Wasp is of course

the FF, who will NOT be the first and premiere heroes that they really, really

REALLY should have been.

PS: I know about Diamond Back... and Bernie! Who was the immediate replacement for Sharon when she appeared to have died (another too often fall back plot device)
    Last edited by Oberon; 05-09-2021 at 03:56 AM. Reason: addenda
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Definitely Sharon especially during Brubaker's run

She is clearly his major love and for most of his modern comic run.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Mighty Member

yeah I like the coupling so I'm glad to see they've lasted a while. When does Peggy appear? Was she around in the Golden Age?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    yeah I like the coupling so I'm glad to see they've lasted a while. When does Peggy appear? Was she around in the Golden Age?
    I think Peggy is actually a ret-con. I don't think she existed in actual '40s era comics.

Anyone else?

There is a Tales of Suspense (mid-'60s) and Cap finds someone who reminds him of a lost love... they eventually indicate she is the niece of Cap's WW2 love interest.

Eventually due to time vs comic book time, she is the great niece.

So any stories of Peggy and Cap are retro stories, set in the WW2 era, legit, but not from the actual comics of the time. Retcon.
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

The movies made me hate Peggy

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I think Peggy is actually a ret-con. I don't think she existed in actual '40s era comics.

Anyone else?

There is a Tales of Suspense (mid-'60s) and Cap finds someone who reminds him of a lost love... they eventually indicate she is the niece of Cap's WW2 love interest.

Eventually due to time vs comic book time, she is the great niece.

So any stories of Peggy and Cap are retro stories, set in the WW2 era, legit, but not from the actual comics of the time. Retcon.
    Peggy didn't exist during the World War II comics, but she was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby so I have a hard time dismissing her as "just a retcon."

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Peggy didn't exist during the World War II comics, but she was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby so I have a hard time dismissing her as "just a retcon."
    I mean no disrespect. The Invaders, first in the '70s, was a retcon or whatever you care to consider it, too, in the sense that it created a story that was not there before and is canon.

Yes, I suppose mostly Peggy is not a retcon, just given a backstory to explain she was there.

Some aspects of the Invaders might be considered retcons, Dr. Doom pre Dr. Doom meeting or in the plot, Thor, etc as I recall from '70s stories. They are sorts of retcons since they have aspects about current ones.
    ~ Oberon ~

I have always found Sharon to be boring. I was not pleased when Waid brought her back, because I would rather see Cap with Diamonback.

I admit to being a sentimentalist when it comes to Sharon, and Cap.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I have always found Sharon to be boring. I was not pleased when Waid brought her back, because I would rather see Cap with Diamonback.
    During that time, I was just along for the ride. But I understand where you're coming from, strathcona.
    Personally, I would have liked to have seen Cap & Carol Harding together...
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-09-2021 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    IIRC, Sharon's character actually predates Peggy, who was later invented, and even later retconned into being Sharon's sister, and later aunt when that didn't make sense any more.