Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default DC learning hard into Batman?

Ok, DC comics has a rich history and characters, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. You would think the comics of today would have a lot of variety like Marvel does. But why does DC, no matter the book have to throw Batman or something Bat related in the book? I was reading a Jonah Hex story and where is walking the streets? 1800s Gotham City. Is it because they have no confidence in other characters? Over at Marvel, Spider-Man is popular, featured a lot and crosses over with other characters. But with Marvel, crossovers are a common and frequent thing. But characters have their chance to shine, and even if Spidey crosses over it doesn't overshadow a character in their book. But with current DC it's just BATMAN BATMAN AND OH YEAH...MORE BATMAN. DC is more than Batman. The wheels fell off creatively somewhere. Golden Age comics had way more variety. But Post Crises to 2021, flood the market with Batman. It's astounding how one company relies so heavily on one character and the other has a popular character and spreads the wealth around.

This is i Stop Buying DC because everything is Batman Based i don't have a problem with him having a big Family DC needs to create an Anthology Book for some of his Family if it were i it would be as follow

Batman
    Detective Comic=An Anthology Book for his Family Featuring Batwoman.Batgirl.the Huntress.Catwoman.Spoiler.Orpan.Signal.Redhood.Red Robin.Robin
    Brave and the Bold=Bring back his team up Book
    Nightwing as the 1st Robin Dick should have his own Title
    The Huntress i've always been a fan of Helena .

and then do the same for the rest of the Trinity

Wonder Woman
    Nubia since she was Diana's 1st sister she deserves to have her own Ongoing
    Sensational Comic should be her Family Book for Wonder Girl=Cassie.Artemis.Fury.Grace.Hessia.Queen Hippolyta.Yara.Jason.and Bobby Barnes i still have Hope for him being Wonder Boy
    Wonder Comic would be a Team Up book for Diana
    Troia i Love me some Donna Troy and she was the 1st Wonder Girl like Dick being the 1st Robin so she too deserves a Title.

and for Kal El we will have

Superman
    Action Comic will be his Family book for Supergirl.Superwoman.Steel=Natasha.Superboy=Jon and Conner
    Power Girl always liked her a little more than Supergirl.
    Steel=John Henry cause DC Needs More Heroes of Color in their own Ongoings
    DC Comic Present will return as his Team Up Book

so that way DC can Open up it's roaster with other Teams and Solo's so that Batman isn't taking over the entire DC Format .the only reason he's so popular is because thats all they concentrate on.i personally stopped collecting DC when they started the New 52.I did however collect the Justice League the Darkseid War and was because OF JASON FABOKS Art i'm a big fan and the 1st 18 issues of Titans Rebirth after that nothing else in DC appealed to me.so that's my thoughts on Batman and DC Comics.

Astonishing Member

Frankly, the real reason Marvel didn't focus on Spider-Man and X-men, their two top franchises, for so long was because of the situation with the film rights. That's what forced them to elevate the Avengers from a B-list franchise into their flagship franchise on-screen, and throught he MCU elevate other once obscure characters and franchises as well (Guardians of the Galaxy being the best example).

DC/WB on the other hand didn't have the pressure of needing to elevate their other major characters because they had full control over their A-listers - Batman and Superman. And since they've struggled with getting a version of Superman who is widely beloved as much as the Donner/Reeve version was once upon a time (which isn't entirely their fault and depends on a bunch of factors), Batman has been their safest bet - in the comics, in the movies, in animation...basically everywhere.

But to be fair, at least on the film side, they have spent the last few years focusing on the rest of their universe. By the time Reeves' Batman film comes out, it'll be a solid decade since the last solo Batman film. Wonder Woman and Aquaman have become fairly major franchises, the Shazam/Black Adam side of things is looking up, and hopefully Flash opens up not just the title characters mythos but the wider DCU as well. And lets not forget Justice League...whichever version of it floats your boat!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Frankly, the real reason Marvel didn't focus on Spider-Man and X-men, their two top franchises, for so long was because of the situation with the film rights. That's what forced them to elevate the Avengers from a B-list franchise into their flagship franchise on-screen, and throught he MCU elevate other once obscure characters and franchises as well (Guardians of the Galaxy being the best example).

DC/WB on the other hand didn't have the pressure of needing to elevate their other major characters because they had full control over their A-listers - Batman and Superman. And since they've struggled with getting a version of Superman who is widely beloved as much as the Donner/Reeve version was once upon a time (which isn't entirely their fault and depends on a bunch of factors), Batman has been their safest bet - in the comics, in the movies, in animation...basically everywhere.

But to be fair, at least on the film side, they have spent the last few years focusing on the rest of their universe. By the time Reeves' Batman film comes out, it'll be a solid decade since the last solo Batman film. Wonder Woman and Aquaman have become fairly major franchises, the Shazam/Black Adam side of things is looking up, and hopefully Flash opens up not just the title characters mythos but the wider DCU as well. And lets not forget Justice League...whichever version of it floats your boat!
    Exactly this, when a company is forced to diversify thats when real creativity begins; if not they rest on their laurels.

However, that's not to say DC hasn't tried but it usually falls apart within 16 months.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Exactly this, when a company is forced to diversify thats when real creativity begins; if not they rest on their laurels.

However, that's not to say DC hasn't tried but it usually falls apart within 16 months.
    And just because DC tries to diversify doesn't mean the sales will be there to support it.

There was truly a lot of diversity at the start of the New52, but many of those titles didn't last because of sales not being strong enough. Whether that was the fault of readers not willing to buy them or of the comic book shops not ordering enough copies so that potential readers could buy them, I can't say. But you also have to have support / orders from the comic book shops for those non-Bat-titles for any change to succeed.

Astonishing Member

They always lean too hard into Batman.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And just because DC tries to diversify doesn't mean the sales will be there to support it.

There was truly a lot of diversity at the start of the New52, but many of those titles didn't last because of sales not being strong enough. Whether that was the fault of readers not willing to buy them or of the comic book shops not ordering enough copies so that potential readers could buy them, I can't say. But you also have to have support / orders from the comic book shops for those non-Bat-titles for any change to succeed.
    Exactly!

A new initiative will start off with a bang and then each subsequent issue has diminishing returns and then the execs/editors pull the emergency parachute and then we Dark Knights Omega Metal Part Duex
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 05-09-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Ok, DC comics has a rich history and characters, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. You would think the comics of today would have a lot of variety like Marvel does. But why does DC, no matter the book have to throw Batman or something Bat related in the book? I was reading a Jonah Hex story and where is walking the streets? 1800s Gotham City. Is it because they have no confidence in other characters? Over at Marvel, Spider-Man is popular, featured a lot and crosses over with other characters. But with Marvel, crossovers are a common and frequent thing. But characters have their chance to shine, and even if Spidey crosses over it doesn't overshadow a character in their book. But with current DC it's just BATMAN BATMAN AND OH YEAH...MORE BATMAN. DC is more than Batman. The wheels fell off creatively somewhere. Golden Age comics had way more variety. But Post Crises to 2021, flood the market with Batman. It's astounding how one company relies so heavily on one character and the other has a popular character and spreads the wealth around.
    CTTT, that's almost right.

DC has a long history of ignoring it's own characters.

If it's not Superman or Batman, DC has done next to nothing with it's IPs...until very recently.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 05-09-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Water is wet, yes.

DC has long since been "we have Batman... and Superman, I guess." At least since the '80s when prior it was the reverse. They're starting to branch out a bit more, but they're still flooding the Batman content in hopes of having their cake and eating it too.

It's annoying, especially right now where so many DC stalwarts don't have a book and Batman has half the line, but make no mistake that it's improving in media adaptions. Shazam, Wonder Woman, Flash, Black Adam, Suicide Squad... Not long ago it was only Superman and Batman movies you could expect and when you got anything-- like Green Lantern-- well, you got Green Lantern.

This is to say nothing of TV where we got Black Lightning, Green Arrow, Doom Patrol, Titans, Stargirl and so much more.

The last decade has seen WB/DC/AT&T do more for the non Super/Bat lines than most their entire history.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-09-2021 at 12:30 PM.

If you look at DC’s history in comics, animation, video games, shows and movies, the franchises that pop up the most are Batman, Superman, Justice League and Teen Titans. Suicide Squad would round out the top 5 due to the last 10 years of usage. Those are their bread and butter, although recently it seems Batman only in the comics, outside of the comics the rest of the DCU has been getting a lot of love! Look at the movie side! Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam and soon The Flash have all gotten films. Green Lantern got one too. Black Adam, Blue Beetle, Static and Zatanna all have upcoming films, on the TV side you have Doom Patrol and Stargirl, both not connected to anything Batman, likewise for the upcoming GLC and Constantine shows. Suicide Squad has an upcoming game and Iniustce 3 is on the horizon!

I think it’s only the comics where it’s become apparent they only care about Batman. I think things will change for the better in the coming future, thanks to Marvels success and WB competing with Disney

More of you need to buy EVERYTHING that doesn't have BATMAN in it, and maybe DC will notice that other properties might actually sell.

Until then, they have had various new series for characters like Aquaman and Green Arrow in the past, heroes who starred in successful movies or TV shows, but the books don't last until at least issue #100 because not enough shops order them / not enough people were buying them.

Batman sells. Batman makes $'s for DC. So DC should stop publishing all the Bat-stuff.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

More of you need to buy EVERYTHING that doesn't have BATMAN in it, and maybe DC will notice that other properties might actually sell.

Until then, they have had various new series for characters like Aquaman and Green Arrow in the past, heroes who starred in successful movies or TV shows, but the books don't last until at least issue #100 because not enough shops order them / not enough people were buying them.

Batman sells. Batman makes $'s for DC. So DC should stop publishing all the Bat-stuff.
    There's this idea that if you take out Batman, other characters will fill up the vacuum. Maybe, but maybe not. If you replace all TV shows with reality programming, i.e., I sure am not going to switch my preferences for the latter.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

I wish that other families could be franchised out like the Batman. Even if it doesn't sell we could still see it in anthologies. DC has various power sub-sets. Black Canary has sound/the audio spectrum. Cyborg has cybernetics. Plastic Man, the Atom, Hawkman all a bit different than DC major families-Superman, WW, Flash, Green Lantern, Batman. Why not explore them more regularly? DC is potentially a half trillion dollar company in terms of their intellectual property but it seems that they are content to just let them sit on the shelf and collect dust all the while their parent company fires people left and right.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

You have quickly become one of my favorite posters, you have a very reasonable insight into a lot of these things and call out the shenanigans going on with a lot of logic here.

If you read this they have unreasonable expectations of DC comics.

I know its like "Publish what I want! Other people like me EXIST!" but like people who are willing to buy everything Bat-related then you have to be willing to buy everything Vixen related x 2.

They give a lot of people solo's but the fact is killing off Wolverine actually DOESN'T mean "Speedball - its free real estate".

What I see is: Mr. Terrific gets a series and its universally panned, both by haters who are like "What is this NOBODY have a book" and worse by the people CLAMMORING for it before hand who are like:

"This isn't EXACTLY WHAT I asked for! DISGUSTING"
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    You have quickly become one of my favorite posters, you have a very reasonable insight into a lot of these things and call out the shenanigans going on with a lot of logic here.

If you read this they have unreasonable expectations of DC comics.

I know its like "Publish what I want! Other people like me EXIST!" but like people who are willing to buy everything Bat-related then you have to be willing to buy everything Vixen related x 2.

They give a lot of people solo's but the fact is killing off Wolverine actually DOESN'T mean "Speedball - its free real estate".

What I see is: Mr. Terrific gets a series and its universally panned, both by haters who are like "What is this NOBODY have a book" and worse by the people CLAMMORING for it before hand who are like:

"This isn't EXACTLY WHAT I asked for! DISGUSTING"
    Mr. Terrific's New 52 book just wasn't very good. Sometimes the product really is just subpar. Not the best example.