Boisterously Confused

Default Ridiculous Comic Nerd Question: All-Star Squadron

In your head canon, how many members does the All-Star Squadron have?

Between 30 and 50?

They had members pulled from the ranks of The JSA. The Seven Soldiers of Victory, The Freedom Fighters, and a ton of non team affiliated mystery men.
    Not sure it all adds up from pre to post Crisis.

100 at the most.

"All-Star Squadron" = Early concept of Line-wide Crossover event IMO, so EVERYBODY was a member.!
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Yeah, their membership is everyone from pre-Crisis Earth-2 who was active in World War II, at minimum. As that Who's Who page shows, they also merged in other golden age heroes (such as Plastic Man and Uncle Sam) after the Crisis.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, their membership is everyone from pre-Crisis Earth-2 who was active in World War II, at minimum. As that Who's Who page shows, they also merged in other golden age heroes (such as Plastic Man and Uncle Sam) after the Crisis.
    Also after the Crisis, The Squadron of Justice(?). Bulletman and Bulletgirl, Commando Yank, Ibis the Invincible, Minute-Man, Mister Scarlet, Phantom Eagle, Pinky the Whiz Kid, Spy Smasher...

I didn't know all the names, so I didn't bother listing them and just named a couple of examples.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I didn't know all the names, so I didn't bother listing them and just named a couple of examples.
    You know why we a good partnership, Forrest? 'Cause we be watchin' out for one another. Like brothers and stuff.

Retired

Anyone who was on the Allied side in World War II. So potentially my father and mother.

The additional mergers were a result of all the Earths (Earth-1, Earth-2, Earth-4 (Charlton Comics), Earth-S / Earth-5 (Fawcett comics), Earth-X / Earth-10 (Quality Comics), etc.) pre-CoIE being merged together into a single Earth in post-CoIE continuity.

Retired

In Pre-Crisis continuity, according to Roy Thomas, the Freedom Fighters (including Uncle Sam and Plastic Man) lived on Earth-Two, then left for Earth-X.

Personally, I never liked that retcon. I preferred that three different versions of Plas, Uncle Sam and the Blackhawks existed on all three Earths--Earth-One, Earth-Two and Earth-X. But that the Freedom Fighters from Earth-X eventually did come to Earth-One (in the 1970s). Now this would mean there were two ersatz Uncle Sams on Earth-One at the same time--given that the Inferior Five had an Uncle Sam, too, although he was called the Patriot--the Patriot and Lady Liberty were Merryman's parents. It doesn't really matter though with Uncle Sam as he's a vague concept--and could exist on all worlds, like the Spectre.

I think I counted 58 heroes here (from 1986's History of the DC Universe), but that didn't include the "Young All-Stars" nor any of the Fawcett Comics characters (among others).

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Also after the Crisis, The Squadron of Justice(?). Bulletman and Bulletgirl, Commando Yank, Ibis the Invincible, Minute-Man, Mister Scarlet, Phantom Eagle, Pinky the Whiz Kid, Spy Smasher...
    What? No love for General Glory?
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think I counted 58 heroes here (from 1986's History of the DC Universe), but that didn't include the "Young All-Stars" nor any of the Fawcett Comics characters (among others).
    Sadly, given all the work George Perez and Marv Wolfman put into it, I don't consider THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE to have any legitimacy. It came out after CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS had ended but before the continuity was completely worked out. It's in that in-between, transitional phase--so it neither applies to the pre-Crisis reality or the post-Crisis reality.

As far as the Fawcett characters go. I know a few guest starred in Ordway's POWER OF SHAZAM! but, as I recall, they didn't have the rights to all the Fawcett characters by then. Not that they ever did. In the 1970s, they were licensing the characters from Fawcett (they didn't yet own them). Later in the 1980s (I believe) they bought the Marvels from Fawcett and maybe some others, but probably not everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In Pre-Crisis continuity, according to Roy Thomas, the Freedom Fighters (including Uncle Sam and Plastic Man) lived on Earth-Two, then left for Earth-X.

Personally, I never liked that retcon. I preferred that three different versions of Plas, Uncle Sam and the Blackhawks existed on all three Earths--Earth-One, Earth-Two and Earth-X. But that the Freedom Fighters from Earth-X eventually did come to Earth-One (in the 1970s). Now this would mean there were two ersatz Uncle Sams on Earth-One at the same time--given that the Inferior Five had an Uncle Sam, too, although he was called the Patriot--the Patriot and Lady Liberty were Merryman's parents. It doesn't really matter though with Uncle Sam as he's a vague concept--and could exist on all worlds, like the Spectre.
    I agree with you.

Also Zatara and Sargon were also shown as being in the ASS although, based on their Silver Age appearances, it seems that they are from Earth 1. I just assume that there were Earth 2 versions of those characters. I don't think it was ever explained that they crossed over from Earth 2 to Earth 1 though I could be wrong about that.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.