Spectacular Member

Default Does anyone use a spreadsheet to keep track of the DC Comics they read?

I was thinking of creating some kind of spreadsheet to keep track of both floppies and collected editions. Does anyone have any examples or ideas for how to structure it?

BANNED

I've been getting my comics digitally for the past year so it's all organized for me

It's like déjà vu all over again.
    Who uses spreadsheets to keep track of what they read?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    I’m curious about who uses spreadsheets to keep track of what comics they read? If you do, it would cool if you could drop them below so I can look over them please?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    LMAO!

"This is all but a dream. You are in the spreadsheet used to keep track of your comic readings....."
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I once started keeping a spread sheet list of the trade paperbacks I'd gotten, but I usually just type up a word document of the upcoming books I want to get.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I just use a longbox for them. If they aren't in there, they need to be read. For digital stuff, I just look at it this way: do I remember anything from it? No? Haven't read it or it's time for a reread!

You'll know very quickly if you don't remember reading it for quality purposes.

I do have an app that tells me which books I own for when I go to conventions and longbox dive to avoid buying more duplicate issues on an impulse. Helps a lot.

Incredible Member

I use a word document of which I print out a hard copy and take with me to conventions and whatever new comic I buy I simply update on the word sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    I was thinking of creating some kind of spreadsheet to keep track of both floppies and collected editions. Does anyone have any examples or ideas for how to structure it?

I don't use a spreadsheet, but if I did, I'd structure it as simply as possible.

Since the spreadsheet is a natural graph design, simply label the columns for each TITLE (e.g. Action Comics, Wonder Woman) beginning in cell B1 and then number the rows from 1 to 1100, which should be enough for any title, beginning in cell A2.

I'd do multiple tabs for each comic major comic company -- say, DC Titles A-I, J-R, S-Z, followed by 3 tabs for Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, etc.

I'd probably put all Annuals and all miniseries on a single tab for each category as these rarely go beyond 12 issues in any case.

Once you've got your graph all laid out, simply put a marker in the cell that corresponds to the issue numbers you have. So, if you have Action Comics #1, put an "X" in cell B2. For more control, you can put the location of where you store the comic -- e.g. "Box 12" or "Shelf 7," etc. instead of an "X."

Then, at the end of each column, put a COUNT function to count cells that have text in them so you can know how many issues of each title you have. Alternatively, it might be easier to put the COUNT row at the top (i.e. row 2) so you don't have to scroll all the way down each time you want to view your series totals.

If you don't care about the comic's location, but you want to indicate how many copies of each issue you may have, simply put a number in the cell instead of text. So, if you have 3 copies of Action Comics #700, put a "3" in the appropriate cell. You can then use a COUNT function to count which cells have numbers and also a SUM function in the next row to note how many copies of each series you have including doubles.

That's all my ideas for now! Good luck!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comics/new-comics

I use this site, it keeps track of my pulls and everything I am interested in.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I use a word document of which I print out a hard copy and take with me to conventions and whatever new comic I buy I simply update on the word sheet.
    More or less this.

I also keep the titles ranked (top 10 and then everything else).
    Don't complain. Create.

I started reading comics in 1974 and still have something like 95% of what I've bought over the years. Throughout most of that time, I re-read comics now and then but not really very many, and finally about 6 years ago started to re-read titles start to finish. In fact, currently I'm re-reading more old comics than new--21 old series and 15/16 new. I keep track of what I'm re-reading on an Excel spreadsheet and also make a quick note about how it went: Difficult read. Better than I remembered. This is why I read comics. Overall fun. Etc.

I have all of my comic inventory (as I refer to it) in a Word doc though because it just seemed easier to work with. So in that respect, I DO keep track of what I've read. I structure it mainly by title but also by subject. So, there's Action Comics, Atom, Aquaman, etc. alphabetically arranged (and filed in boxes) but at the same time Sword of the Atom is listed with the subject ATOM. That's the basic structure I keep but there are exceptions here and there.
    Last edited by JLH; 05-14-2021 at 05:46 AM.