Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Could A Justice Society With No Original Members Work?

Would a Justice Society of America team without Ted Grant, Jay Garrick, or Alan Scott even appeal to fans of the JSA? Or is always having a handful of the original Golden Age members on the roster a fundamental aspect to the group's popularity?

I think it could work, but most fans would be pissed.
    A JSA team of Power Girl, Mister Terrific, Katar Hol, Stargirl, Jesse Quick and Hour Man wouldn't be bad at all, IMO. I would miss the older guys, but I don't think the concept is inherently broken without them.

I mean yeah it definitely could work because most of the modern day cast as we have seen in the past few months is made up of people related to the classic JSA history or family relationships.

Wildcat is Yolanda
    Dr. Mid-nite is Beth
    Hourman is Rick
    Liberty Belle is Jesse Quick
    Stargirl is replacing Starman
    Jakeem Thunder instead of Johnny Thunder
    Atom smasher instead of Atom
    We got Jade and Obsidian on the team
    Mister Terrific/Holt is around and doing great
    Powergirl and Cyclone are around as well

Legitimately right now the only original members are Alan Scott and Jay Garrick, we cant even say Dr. Fate because I have no idea if that’s Kent or Khalid. I’m sorry to say this but we’ve kind of been slowly fading out the original JSA since the late 90’s, ever since Zero Hour.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Maybe, but I think the best JSA is the one that offers both originals with legacies together.

you'd probably need to at least reference some of the original members, depending on where you take the story, but the newer members are some of my favorite characters so I'd be fine with it
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

Eh, in TV, maybe

But the comics need at least a handful of originals. And hell, that's all we really have.

Jay, Alan, Ted, sometimes Rex, sometimes Hawkman/Hawkgirl.

5, at most

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Legitimately right now the only original members are Alan Scott and Jay Garrick, we cant even say Dr. Fate because I have no idea if that’s Kent or Khalid. I’m sorry to say this but we’ve kind of been slowly fading out the original JSA since the late 90’s, ever since Zero Hour.
    Ted is afaik also still around.

We had such a book allready pre flashpoint with "JSA Allstars".

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Would a Justice Society of America team without Ted Grant, Jay Garrick, or Alan Scott even appeal to fans of the JSA? Or is always having a handful of the original Golden Age members on the roster a fundamental aspect to the group's popularity?
    It would work better if DC's history wasn't such a mess. An all-new member team could be framed as those carrying on for the former members. Without that historical link, it's just another team, cribbing the name.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean yeah it definitely could work because most of the modern day cast as we have seen in the past few months is made up of people related to the classic JSA history or family relationships.

Wildcat is Yolanda
    Dr. Mid-nite is Beth
    Hourman is Rick
    Liberty Belle is Jesse Quick
    Stargirl is replacing Starman
    Jakeem Thunder instead of Johnny Thunder
    Atom smasher instead of Atom
    We got Jade and Obsidian on the team
    Mister Terrific/Holt is around and doing great
    Powergirl and Cyclone are around as well

You forgot Sandy Hawkins who is also replace the orginal Sandman (Wesley Dodds).

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    You forgot Sandy Hawkins who is also replace the orginal Sandman (Wesley Dodds).
    Oh you’re right I did, my mistake.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

It could...provided most, if not all, the members were legacies of the originals.

The problem is that the Justice Society is synonymous with a certain era and a certain set of characters (or their successors). The Justice League could theoretically include anyone - as a concept, its basically DC's Number One superhero team. The Society on the other hand is specifically about DC's characters from the Golden Age.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    It could...provided most, if not all, the members were legacies of the originals.

The problem is that the Justice Society is synonymous with a certain era and a certain set of characters (or their successors). The Justice League could theoretically include anyone - as a concept, its basically DC's Number One superhero team. The Society on the other hand is specifically about DC's characters from the Golden Age.
    I don't even know that they have to be legacies, but they do require some kind of story-based link to the JSA's history. An example was Star-Spangled Kid, who had no prior connection to the JSA before being rescued from the past by them, and wound up with nowhere else to go.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I’m an older fan and I really like the show Stargirl. I wish I could see the original JSA but the kids in the new JSA are great.

Retired

I would imagine this is simply a matter of opinion.

At different times, the Justice Society has been mostly just all non-charter members. By charter members, I mean only the eight heroes shown on the cover of ALL-STAR COMICS 3.

But even though it's been done, I don't enjoy it. I think it's better to have INFINITY, INC. as the next generation team. And maybe another named team after that for the generation to follow the Infinitors. I don't like the idea of the Justice Society as a "legacy" group. Worse yet is characters that could just as easily be on the Justice League or some other team, ending up on the Justice Society. The J.S.A. isn't the Defenders.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Plus it has Luke Wilson , nvm Owen on Loki, Luke made it first!