Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Well the thing about Batman is, absolutely he can take on Darkseid, Parademons, Superman, and white Martians, but have a guy show up with riddles and funny umbrellas and Batman is on the ropes.
    In some of his 70s comics, regular thugs could get the jump on him.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Does anyone actually believe this? Also I don't think power in general makes a character more or less interesting. Superman losing powers wouldn't suddenly make him any more popular either. I believe utizilizing Superman correctly is more about the situations and conflicts you put him in and getting his 'voice' just right.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 05-13-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm actually in favor of this, as I see it as the next frontier for superhero storytelling. And for Superman, it remedies the explicit problem that people say that everything's too easy for him because of his power. You end up not having to nerf Superman's raw powers, but now you introduce various other limitations and you force both Superman and the writer to come up with creative solutions that don't involve just using massive strength to lift massive object, etc.
    It would be interesting, but I don't see it working outside a mini or two since most writers would probably struggle to write an interesting story around those "limitations".

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    How’s that any different from Batman stories ignoring that Bruce is a preptime god who can build mech suits that let him go toe to toe with Darkseid, yet somehow he doesn’t just build an Iron Bat suit to let him steamroll his Rogues? Or how Spider-Man is powerful and quick enough to beat the X-Men by himself, but struggles against the Sinister Six? Power levels suit the story, not the other way around in comics.
    One thing that amuses me is that in theory Livewire is actually SUPER powerful. In DCAU Superman once beat her by doing a flying tackle... smashing her through a reinforced concrete wall, THEN body slamming her on whatever was below. A normal person would probably have been mortally wounded before she even hit the wall. But Livewire wasn't seriously hurt by it.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It would be interesting, but I don't see it working outside a mini or two since most writers would probably struggle to write an interesting story around those "limitations".
    Yeah, that's why I think it'd be any interesting way to tackle the Hollywood blockbusters, since you only get to tell a story once every few years.