Default What Game series has benefitted most from modren game consoles.

So I was looking at the the series that came out over the years. And I was wondering what games have benefited most from the next gen of game systems that put them into more 3d game styles. Can be an updated Retro game series or one that came out later.

I am thinking the one that benefitted the most is The legend of Zelda Series. Some of the best Zelda games are the 3d games. OoT, Wind Waker, Breath of the Wild.

What do you think?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The Assassins Creed Series is a big one. The first one, while open world, was bland and repetitive, even for its time. But they've really come a long way. Not only more diverse missions, but also side missions and quests that have you explore massive and interesting environments.

Metroid Prime was a phenomenal step up into 3D, though the 2D ones were already awesome.

I heard the 3D Castlevanias don't really work, though I've never tried one.

GTA's sort of middling for me on this scale. The first 3D version massively boosted the series's popularity (how many people even played GTA2?), though I think that was a bit of a double-edged sword in how the increased realism and complexity of the simulation may have actually detracted from the purity of the game systems (and what even happened to "Kill Frenzy!"?). The most complex system in GTA2 was having to sometime kill gang members to move a loyalty bar so you could do missions for another faction - but from that it's a long way down to constantly being pestered to drive Roman to a naff bowling sub-game game and back.

This is going to sound odd but games like Stardew Valley IMHO have benefited the most because the sprites and the shear amount of content is insane. Sometimes going lofi is the best option. I think we are at a point that you're arguing about how reflective the water is in most 3D games wereas the pixelated games are exploding with content and game-play.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The Assassins Creed Series is a big one. The first one, while open world, was bland and repetitive, even for its time. But they've really come a long way. Not only more diverse missions, but also side missions and quests that have you explore massive and interesting environments.
    Idk, many people still consider the 2nd to be the best game in the franchise. They definitly expanded scope like crazy but one issue is that it has generally lost that whole lone assasin vibe of just stalking guys around cities to go in for a kill. Now you are leadinga armies.

Extraordinary Member

Spider-Man and Batman. Both had a huge catalogue of games but it really took until the tech caught up where they were able to seamlessly make these authentic experiences to the characters. Spider-Man 2 set the template but Insomniac completely nailed what Spider-Man is as did Rocksteady with the Arkham series.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Idk, many people still consider the 2nd to be the best game in the franchise. They definitly expanded scope like crazy but one issue is that it has generally lost that whole lone assasin vibe of just stalking guys around cities to go in for a kill. Now you are leadinga armies.
    This has sort of been a thing going back to the second Ezio game, Brotherhood-Ezio could send others on missions and also summon others to help with the missions; some form of it has pretty much been in every game since.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Metal Gear. That style of game definitely works better in 3D than it ever did in 2D.

Yeah-the limited textures and dimensions of the first two MSX games (or if one prefers, the Nintendo ones) are kind of confusing and bland compared to even MGS1-although it's worth noting that MGS1 borrowed heavily from MGII in terms of the basic story (MGS2 in a similar fashion of course borrowed from MGS2, but that was even more intentional).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Sonic The Hedgehog.

.....lol
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans