Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Marvel Epic Collection -- can someone explain?

Wikipedia didn't really give a good explanation of the "Epic Collection" is supposed to be, but I'm interested in hopping aboard any collected series Marvel is planning on doing, and since some of the Ultimate Graphic Novel Collection books are out of print and because this Epic Collection line seems really recent I want to get with the program if it's worth it!

Now my first question is, why are there huge gaps in between the volume #'s?

Please help!

The last table is the one that I'm looking at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_...Complete_Epics

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    Wikipedia didn't really give a good explanation of the "Epic Collection" is supposed to be, but I'm interested in hopping aboard any collected series Marvel is planning on doing, and since some of the Ultimate Graphic Novel Collection books are out of print and because this Epic Collection line seems really recent I want to get with the program if it's worth it!

Now my first question is, why are there huge gaps in between the volume #'s?

Please help!

The last table is the one that I'm looking at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_...Complete_Epics
    The idea with the Epics is to collect an entire run of the big Marvel titles, but they're releasing them out of order. The reason there is they want to hit the gaps that don't have collections already first. This is a wink/nod to collectors. So if there was a gap between omnibus X and HC Y, this Epic could fill in that gap, etc...

They are now hitting us with a slew of volume 1's, but after that, don't expect volume 2's, but probably something else.
    So ideally, if they keep it up, eventually you could have a row of 15+ volumes of Captain America Epics, or Iron Man, Thor, etc... but in the meantime it's going to be messy on your shelf.

But there is a rhyme and reason behind it, if that helps. Thanks.

*Edit: These are essentially replacements for the Black & White Essentials line, which was doing the same thing - getting continuous runs of books, except that these are in color. I've flipped through a few, they seem really nice.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

No, thank you so much! Obviously we don't know for sure, but in an ideal world will they be collecting everything? Even the sections that are gaps right now? I just want to clarify!

Btw, great C.S. Lewis quote

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    The idea with the Epics is to collect an entire run of the big Marvel titles, but they're releasing them out of order. The reason there is they want to hit the gaps that don't have collections already first. This is a wink/nod to collectors. So if there was a gap between omnibus X and HC Y, this Epic could fill in that gap, etc...

They are now hitting us with a slew of volume 1's, but after that, don't expect volume 2's, but probably something else.
    So ideally, if they keep it up, eventually you could have a row of 15+ volumes of Captain America Epics, or Iron Man, Thor, etc... but in the meantime it's going to be messy on your shelf.

But there is a rhyme and reason behind it, if that helps. Thanks.

*Edit: These are essentially replacements for the Black & White Essentials line, which was doing the same thing - getting continuous runs of books, except that these are in color. I've flipped through a few, they seem really nice.
    So we can think of them as Marvel's answer to DC's Archives? Or is there a difference between the two?
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    So we can think of them as Marvel's answer to DC's Archives? Or is there a difference between the two?
    That would be the Marvel Masterworks. (Hardcover collections of early, restored material.)

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    Obviously we don't know for sure, but in an ideal world will they be collecting everything? Even the sections that are gaps right now? I just want to clarify!
    Yes, that's the plan. They're just avoiding stuff that's pretty available (Simonson Thor, Byrne FF, etc.), probably saving it for last. Each of the six original books of the line (Avengers, FF, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Amazing Spider-Man) were planned out to around 20 volumes, until about 1990, when crossovers start getting messy.
    Last edited by JShilpetski; 08-22-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks for the info. Which books are most recommended. I know it'll depend on one's character preference, but was curious about everyone's general favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Marvel Masterworks hardcovers would be the equivalent of the DC Archives; both have quality paper, a sewn-binding, top notch restoration and print series sequentially. Epics are paperbacks that use whatever restoration is currently available--no new restoration is done as a cost save. What really irks me is that DC can put out similar size hardcover books like Tales of the Batman: Archie Goodwin (page count 480) for only $40, but Marvel wants $45 for the first Daredevil epic (pagecount 456). I don't know why Marvel couldn't have made the Epic collections in hardcover for a similar price if DC can do it?