Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik K. Kristensen View Post
    Marvel HC Masterworks (collecting 10-13 issues)
    Great books however pre 2009 books didn't always have the best build quality, wasn't sewn and not best restoration. Volumes from after vol. 100 or so are AMAZING quality in all regards. If you want complete collections look for series where vol. 1 is printed later than 2009 (Iron Fist, Marvel Two-in-One etc.).
    Your dates are off, Henrik! In 2009, Marvel started printing MMWs in China and the books are of good quality especially when compared to the build quality of recent omnibuses. But restoration and a sewn-binding can be found in pre-2009 books, too. Around 2006 Marvel printed books in both the U.S. And Canada and most of these had a sewn-binding and good restoration. Some of the MMWs from 2006-2009 had fantastic paper (some of the best Marvel has ever used IMO), great restoration and a sewn-binding. It's the pre-2006 books you have to be wary of--some are of questionable quality.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Your dates are off, Henrik! In 2009, Marvel started printing MMWs in China and the books are of good quality especially when compared to the build quality of recent omnibuses. But restoration and a sewn-binding can be found in pre-2009 books, too. Around 2006 Marvel printed books in both the U.S. And Canada and most of these had a sewn-binding and good restoration. Some of the MMWs from 2006-2009 had fantastic paper (some of the best Marvel has ever used IMO), great restoration and a sewn-binding. It's the pre-2006 books you have to be wary of--some are of questionable quality.
    Right, what I should have stated is that after they moved the production to China in 2009, the books became better in my opinion.
    Some was sewn earlier, but the sewn Masterworks from China is my preferred binding.

Amazing Member

Deleting my previous post. My question was answered.
    Last edited by skrilmps; 01-21-2015 at 10:06 PM.

I think if I were to attempt to collect an entire series, I would do so by buying the epic collections and having them bound. It seems like it would be more affordable than buying masterworks.

All-New Member

Can anyone comment on the paper quality of the Epic Collections? For the price that Marvel is charging, I would imagine it's newsprint(or similar). I would be very surprised that they would use slick paper like in the Masterworks.
    How's the quality of the reprinting? Is Marvel reprinting directly off of the original artist artwork, or from a 2nd, or 3rd generation source? I'm interested in buying many of the Epic Collections to fill in gaps in my collection, but not if the reprinting looks bad.
    Is there a site somewhere that has comparisons of the same page from the same book, of Epic, Masterwork, and TPB? Thanks!

They look as good as any other Marvel paperback. They are as decently built as a paperback could be from Marvel. I think the paper is always matte but I wouldn't call it newsprint which I'm guessing something like the Hellblazer collections would be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by YodaSan View Post
    Can anyone comment on the paper quality of the Epic Collections? For the price that Marvel is charging, I would imagine it's newsprint(or similar). I would be very surprised that they would use slick paper like in the Masterworks.
    How's the quality of the reprinting? Is Marvel reprinting directly off of the original artist artwork, or from a 2nd, or 3rd generation source? I'm interested in buying many of the Epic Collections to fill in gaps in my collection, but not if the reprinting looks bad.
    Is there a site somewhere that has comparisons of the same page from the same book, of Epic, Masterwork, and TPB? Thanks!
    If it's been previously printed in MMWs then the files are likely to be MMWs quality restoration, otherwise the production is hit or miss. The paper is no where near the quality of the MMWs HCs even at the nadir of MMW quality, but isn't much worse than the crap they use for their omnibus line.

All-New Member

So, the paper quality is similar to what is used in the Omnibus line? If so, that's fine with me. The paper is slick, and slightly thinner than the paper in MMWs. I just wanted to make sure that the paper in the Epic collection wasn't like their 'Essential' line. While I don't have any of the Marvel Essential line, I imagine that the paper quality is similar to DC's Showcase Presents line(black and white on newsprint paper).

Quote Originally Posted by YodaSan View Post
    So, the paper quality is similar to what is used in the Omnibus line? If so, that's fine with me. The paper is slick, and slightly thinner than the paper in MMWs. I just wanted to make sure that the paper in the Epic collection wasn't like their 'Essential' line. While I don't have any of the Marvel Essential line, I imagine that the paper quality is similar to DC's Showcase Presents line(black and white on newsprint paper).
    better than newsprint definitely, maybe not as shiny as the omni paper. Also, nothing can be as bad as the Showcase books, even the Essentials are better than those.

I only have the ASM - Cosmic Adventures Epic at this point in time but I am quite pleased with the paper quality.. I want to say it has pretty good thickness for a TP and is a very good looking matte. Not newsprint at all.

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster283 View Post
    I only have the ASM - Cosmic Adventures Epic at this point in time but I am quite pleased with the paper quality.. I want to say it has pretty good thickness for a TP and is a very good looking matte. Not newsprint at all.
    I take that back--it's not thick at all, but nice matte-ness... better than DC paperback paper.

Hey, guys.

Just found out about this and I'm actually very pleased to see the replies here praising the quality of the line. I'm now ready to start purchasing it.

I wonder if there's a list somewhere with all the Epic Collection releases planned for 2017 and beyond. Would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Hey, guys.

Just found out about this and I'm actually very pleased to see the replies here praising the quality of the line. I'm now ready to start purchasing it.

I wonder if there's a list somewhere with all the Epic Collection releases planned for 2017 and beyond. Would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
    the wikipedia entry actually seems to be quite up to date. Or just brows amazon, that's what I usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    the wikipedia entry actually seems to be quite up to date. Or just brows amazon, that's what I usually do.
    I just did that! Looks like we'll be able to get Avengers: Operation Galactic Storm this year!

I guess my new question is: has Marvel said in any interview which series they plan to add to the line eventually? Like, for instance, the Eternals or Master of Kung Fu?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I just did that! Looks like we'll be able to get Avengers: Operation Galactic Storm this year!

I guess my new question is: has Marvel said in any interview which series they plan to add to the line eventually? Like, for instance, the Eternals or Master of Kung Fu?
    I think mokf is a few years down the line if ever. The 3rd omnibus isn't even solicited iirc. Eternals wasn't just one thin omn8bus and basically that's the whole thing until the short lived modern series? It will probably happen as a complete collection at some point like the devil dinosaur one.