Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Money wasn't the problem here. I think in terms of production value the show was great. The problem was maybe the need for a proper script that balanced worldbuilding with the need for an engaging plot.

As it stands, we have a show that looks pretty nifty but doesn't really go anywhere. Yes, I found the deconstruction of Superman via Utopian interesting, and I loved the 1929 flashback scenes but you really can't have a big-budget superhero show that doesn't deliver beyond that. I mean, they basically spent $200 million to adapt the first two issues (and some bits and pieces from elsewhere) of a 10 issue saga. Slow-burn doesn't even begin to describe it...
    I've only seen bits and pieces. I thought the costumes looked good, but the special effects were pretty janky. For comparison Game of Thrones cost about $60 million a season, so $200 million is obscene amount to blow on a one an out season of a show that no one was impressed with specials effects wise. I'm sure Superman & Lois' budget is lucky to be 1/20th of Jupiters Legacy and there isn't much (if any) daylight between them. So its not that surprising that Netflix pulled the plug.
    Last edited by Yoda; 06-03-2021 at 09:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

This might be trivial but the costumes bothered me. Superman and Batman's were iconic. They said who they were, independent of the outside underpants - whose origin I know. Now, we get the capes and multicolored tights and all kinds of junk emblems like the awards on a tin pot dictator. I feel similar about the ones on the Eternals trailer. How about something you would want to wear most of the day?

The show itself was a bore and the eternal killing question is a yawn in today's age. I always think of law enforcement and military normal humans in the real world who have to make that decision and can't screw around with superspeed or belt gadgetry. Get over it. If you want to defend folks you have to be able to take a life. That is part of the training of both groups.

Yes, it takes a toll but it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    This might be trivial but the costumes bothered me. Superman and Batman's were iconic. They said who they were, independent of the outside underpants - whose origin I know. Now, we get the capes and multicolored tights and all kinds of junk emblems like the awards on a tin pot dictator. I feel similar about the ones on the Eternals trailer. How about something you would want to wear most of the day?

The show itself was a bore and the eternal killing question is a yawn in today's age. I always think of law enforcement and military normal humans in the real world who have to make that decision and can't screw around with superspeed or belt gadgetry. Get over it. If you want to defend folks you have to be able to take a life. That is part of the training of both groups.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Style over sensibility .
    Yeah, but we're talking about people who actually have superspeed and gadgets, so there's a distinction there. Superheroes enforce the law but don't really work like the police force.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's because Batman and Superman operate many levels of competency above those you described that they have to wrestle with that.

If you know you can solve pretty much every situation non-lethally, why would you ever use lethal force? Yes, eventually the villain gets out but that's because the universes are designed to operate in perpetuity. But in a movie where you're never going to bring the villain back? There's no reason Bruce can't just lock the Joker away he actually stay there or get murdered by an inmate or someone else. You don't need Bruce to cross that line, and even less so for Superman. Bringing them down to the level of police is a downgrade for each character.

More importantly, many law enforcement officials outside the US do not carry firearms and aren't expected to take a life in their day-to-day duties. Non-lethal resolutions aren't some mythical construct even in our world, but especially not in Superman's. The debate on when it's ethical for him to take a life-- if ever-- is a very natural one for him to have. If you're tired of it because you've seen it before (like many of us with his origin), then that's understandable, but don't conflate being too familiar with a core thematic of a character with it being passe.

Furthermore, the concept of using the militarization of law enforcement to back why Superman, Batman and other superheroes should kill is goddamn barbaric.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Netflix paid way too much for Millarworld to just let this drop. They're going to try again with SuperCrooks and hope they have better results. The problem is that the comics industry had started to get tired of Millar's shtick a few years ago. They might not have better results appealing to an even broader audience.

However, all they need is one solid hit to justify all those millions spent buying all of Millar's comics.
    Nah in a world with Boys and Invincible having success, There is no reason why Millar stuff wouldn't find success. They watered down Jupiter's Legacy too much even if the story was average the action and gore should be able to carry it but that was also bad in a world where Marvel is putting out Wandavision and FaTS. Both Boys and Invincible were more true to the source material while Jupiter Legacy felt like something different. Millar deconstruction of Super tropes stuff should work we are in middle super hero centric market.

There is a certain amount of irony tho that superhero deconstruction stuff is around the DC heroes and it is Marvel heroes who are more popular in the era ,Everybody is doing a superman bit when a Iron Man or even Captain America breakdown would be more relevant to audiences. The audiences are getting more live action hero deconstructions of Superman than actual Superman doing stuff to be deconstructed. Putting a genuine Superman on screen would seem like a deconstruction of every thing else going on which is why I suspect the tv show is doing better than people thought it would do.

Extraordinary Member

All I can say about this is that I gave it a shot, five or six episodes. But the pacing was terrible, the jumping back and forth in time got old after a while, and it just...bored me. So I dropped it. It wasn't terrible. It didn't do any one thing wrong apart from what I mentioned. But none of the actors grabbed me at all, there was no Anthony Starr there to steal the show and keep me watching, and not having ever read the comic itself, left me wondering where they were going, again, not in a good way. I wasn't looking forward to seeing the mystery unravel before my eyes; I was just hoping they'd get on with it...ANY it.

For me to want to continue watching something, it grab my interest from the start in some way, and then hold it as the series progresses. Not easy, especially the second part, and Jupiter's Legacy just didn't do either for me.