Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Naomie Harris' involvement in this makes it a must-see for me. Plus it helps that I enjoyed the first Venom movie.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 05-10-2021 at 04:00 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I can see that - both mostly mishandle their properties and deliver some mediocre films and outright clunkers - while somehow also inexplicably managing to once in a blue moon deliver some of the best and most defining genre movies of their eras. The studio that gave us Catwoman and Steel and Snyder's films also gave us The Dark Knight trilogy and Wonder Woman and Joker. The studio that gave us Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man duology also gave us Spider-Man 2 and Into The Spider-Verse. How can studios who so badly handle their various superhero titles on average manage to deliver some of the best stuff once in a blue moon? Here's hoping this turns out more like a Spider-Man 2 or Spider-Verse and less like some of their other films...
    Amen to that. In all honesty, I appreciate that superhero movies require substantial financial backing but perhaps the guys at the top should ensure they've got the right creative team in place to deliver a viable product. Disney, Netflix and Amazon seem to have a better handle on the genre.

Astonishing Member

I can see that - both mostly mishandle their properties and deliver some mediocre films and outright clunkers - while somehow also inexplicably managing to once in a blue moon deliver some of the best and most defining genre movies of their eras. The studio that gave us Catwoman and Steel and Snyder's films also gave us The Dark Knight trilogy and Wonder Woman and Joker. The studio that gave us Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man duology also gave us Spider-Man 2 and Into The Spider-Verse. How can studios who so badly handle their various superhero titles on average manage to deliver some of the best stuff once in a blue moon? Here's hoping this turns out more like a Spider-Man 2 or Spider-Verse and less like some of their other films...
    Talking about DC I remember from one of the myriad superhero posts in this board someone said something to the effect DC movies mirror the comics a bit in how they own enduring properties and produce transcendent single works from time to time (Batman Year One, Kingdom Come, what have you) and at the same time still have to reboot the entire line several times to spike interest or overturn poor decisions.

So the bearded detective I guess is presumabely Mulligan (Toxin).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay View Post
    Amen to that. In all honesty, I appreciate that superhero movies require substantial financial backing but perhaps the guys at the top should ensure they've got the right creative team in place to deliver a viable product. Disney, Netflix and Amazon seem to have a better handle on the genre.
    I'm not sure on that. I like Disney's MCU - but they'll never give us a film like The Dark Knight, Spider-Verse, Joker, Logan - I'm not sure Deadpool 3 will be done justice thanks to Disney buying Fox. It'll happen, it'll be R and violent and everything, but I think it may be rushed and half assed to get it out there because they have to do it, but it's so far from what the MCU is to them. There's an MCU house style and tone that they can't stray far from. Again, the MCU is good and fun, but all viable products from them is just going to feel like more MCU. Disney in the superhero front lacks experimentation, and won't steer out of it's super successful lane.

Netflix made great superhero shows in the recent past - Daredevil, Punisher...but that was then. They've struggled ever since they lost their Marvel licenses. The Old Guard has good reviews (haven't seen it, plan to), Project Power's just kind of alright (saw it, is fine but forgettable), Thunder Force's reviews are awful (haven't seen it - not going to), and Jupiter's Legacy has had mixed reception so far (need to watch it too). So post their Marvel shows it's good, alright, bad, mixed thus far on the Netflix superhero front. Currently they've devolved more to WB's/Sony's level. They need to find their way post Marvel.

And Amazon only has two superhero properties right now - The Boys and Invincible. So far both look and review good - but it's only two entries. I'd wait until they've at least done 5 different things in this genre before being comfortable making a judgement call.

So Disney's good but can never pull a TDK/Joker/Logan/Deadpool, Netflix has been mixed ever since the end of their MCU shows, and Amazon's too green.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Talking about DC I remember from one of the myriad superhero posts in this board someone said something to the effect DC movies mirror the comics a bit in how they own enduring properties and produce transcendent single works from time to time (Batman Year One, Kingdom Come, what have you) and at the same time still have to reboot the entire line several times to spike interest or overturn poor decisions.
    Pretty much yeah, this. They make some of the greatest stories of all time, but their average is nothing to talk about.

Astonishing Member

Pretty much yeah, this. They make some of the greatest stories of all time, but their average is nothing to talk about.
    Well if for better or worse DC's issues have resulted in their universe not being as extended as Marvel yet, at least it's worked out for me so far since fewer DC movies make each new one at least stand out a bit. After a couple disappointments I don't watch every MCU movie on principle anymore. I want to like Black Widow especially depending on Pugh's character and stuff, but I can't help but feel even without pandemic delays that movie should have been made years ago.

To not go too much off-topic I'm not remotely hyped about a new Venom, didn't watch the first one because I don't like symbiotes and hated the trailer, and the reviews seemed to confirm my bias. But Harrelson is in now, if the reviews really upswing on the second try (like what happened with the Ouija and Annabelle sequels on the horror corner) I'll probably give it a try and support the local theater a bit more.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Still feels like a throwback 90s movies.
    Shouldn't a movie with Venom and Carnage feel like a throwback 90's movie?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Not necessarily.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Depends on what people mean with 90s movies. Batman Returns and The Mask were 90s movie adaptations and aged well. But if we're talking about outdated effects and terrible creative decisions, and how 90s superhero comics were full of Xtremity, at least it's better now because being a visual medium 90s comics still generated nostalgia and effects are much better now for that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Well if for better or worse DC's issues have resulted in their universe not being as extended as Marvel yet, at least it's worked out for me so far since fewer DC movies make each new one at least stand out a bit. After a couple disappointments I don't watch every MCU movie on principle anymore. I want to like Black Widow especially depending on Pugh's character and stuff, but I can't help but feel even without pandemic delays that movie should have been made years ago.

To not go too much off-topic I'm not remotely hyped about a new Venom, didn't watch the first one because I don't like symbiotes and hated the trailer, and the reviews seemed to confirm my bias. But Harrelson is in now, if the reviews really upswing on the second try (like what happened with the Ouija and Annabelle sequels on the horror corner) I'll probably give it a try and support the local theater a bit more.
    Yeah - the MCU is successful, and it's quality is consistent - but dear lord there's too much MCU. And now there's gonna be like 4 films a year plus streaming series?
    At some point all media will be MCU.

Ultimate Member

There's no too much if it's good

Ultimate Member

Supposedly the cop (the one we see reading the Daily Bugle) might become Toxin as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I hope Woody chews up scenery.
    Don't want too Woody a Woody?

From the looks of the trailer, I think he'll definitely chew the scenery.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay View Post
    I'll give this a watch. Tom's a top bloke (I've spoken to him in person because he lives not far from me) so I'll happily support his work.
    Wow that's cool you got to speak to Tom Hardy. What was that like? Was he nice?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Wow that's cool you got to speak to Tom Hardy. What was that like? Was he nice?
    Tom is a normal, friendly guy who doesn't appear to have any hint of an over-inflated ego. I've seen him take the time to sign autographs and pose for pictures with his fans; what's more, he seems to really enjoy doing so.