Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I know why they did it, but artistically, it doesn't sit well with me. Venom's based on Spider-Man. It's not like Doc Ock, or the Goblin, whose origins are unrelated.
    Understandable, but artistically the other option is "sit on it and don't make money off any of the Marvel IP you have access to except for that 1 Spider-Man movie you make every other year or so." Any of them start thinking that artistically the shareholders and executives would demand they be fired. Better for them to think like a business first, and then bring in the artistic thinking on how to make that business decision work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    No, he was overeager in the comics. He was only crooked in the Spider-Man movie
    He did questionable things in the comics, too.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Understandable, but artistically the other option is "sit on it and don't make money off any of the Marvel IP you have access to except for that 1 Spider-Man movie you make every other year or so." Any of them start thinking that artistically the shareholders and executives would demand they be fired. Better for them to think like a business first, and then bring in the artistic thinking on how to make that business decision work.
    Honestly, them not making a poor movie and thus not making any at all is fine by me. Misusing characters for business purposes isn't ideal

Honestly, them not making a poor movie and thus not making any at all is fine by me. Misusing characters for business purposes isn't ideal
    Is fine by you - would not be fine for them at all, and is far from an ideal way to run a business. That said, I liked the Venom movie.

Ultimate Member

Is fine by you - would not be fine for them at all, and is far from an ideal way to run a business. That said, I liked the Venom movie.
    I get that. I just wish the results were better. I'm still interested in seeing this one because Carnage looks pretty good (acting and design wise, at least). I'm also interested in the Spider-Woman movie, but the Kraven movie sounds really sketchy to me

And I'm not really going to shed tears if some multi-million dollar corporation like Sony doesn't get a few extra million just by wringing out someone else's IP.

I get that. I just wish the results were better. I'm still interested in seeing this one because Carnage looks pretty good (acting and design wise, at least). I'm also interested in the Spider-Woman movie, but the Kraven movie sounds really sketchy to me
    It all sounds sketchy to me outside the Spider-Verse sequel.

And I'm not really going to shed tears if some multi-million dollar corporation like Sony doesn't get a few extra million just by wringing out someone else's IP.
    And no one's asking you too. Just saying it's unreasonable to expect them to not do that thing. They would be horrible at their jobs if they didn't do it. We may not like it, but they are doing exactly what they should be doing. If they didn't do it they'd be insane. Plus not too long ago it seemed like the studio was on the chopping block, so now is the time for them to double down on all possible profitable decisions as possible and forget anything else. It was what, 2/3 years ago when everyone thought they'd be sold off?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE - Official Trailer

Looks awesome, Woody was a great choice to play Cletus Kasady.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

It all sounds sketchy to me outside the Spider-Verse sequel.
    I'm only interested in Spider-Woman because I like the character and I'd like to see a movie. But I don't have too much faith in Sony right. I'm not really interested in their villain movies

And no one's asking you too. Just saying it's unreasonable to expect them to not do that thing. They would be horrible at their jobs if they didn't do it. We may not like it, but they are doing exactly what they should be doing. If they didn't do it they'd be insane. Plus not too long ago it seemed like the studio was on the chopping block, so now is the time for them to double down on all possible profitable decisions as possible and forget anything else. It was what, 2/3 years ago when everyone thought they'd be sold off?
    Of course I expect them to do that. But I wish they had a better track record

I'm only interested in Spider-Woman because I like the character and I'd like to see a movie. But I don't have too much faith in Sony right. I'm not really interested in their villain movies

Of course I expect them to do that. But I wish they had a better track record
    To be fair, their track record isn't that bad - Spider-Man 2, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 are their bad films. Venom, while not great, is actually one of their good/decent films. So while you might not have an interest in villain movies, they're off to a good start. Now will it remain so? We will see.

To be fair, their track record isn't that bad - Spider-Man 2, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 are their bad films. Venom, while not great, is actually one of their good/decent films. So while you might not have an interest in villain movies, they're off to a good start. Now will it remain so? We will see.
    Will all the films tie into Spiderman showing up sooner or later? That is my big question for Sony.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Will all the films tie into Spiderman showing up sooner or later? That is my big question for Sony.
    I'm sure they plan on it and want him too - will it play out like they want though? Who knows...

Ultimate Member

You mean Spider-Man 3, right? Venom is mediocre, and a bit too '90s,' but I didn't hate it, and I like Hardy as Brock/Venom. But I haven't loved a live action Sony-man movie since SM2. V:LTBC looks entertaining

My problem with Sony's villain movie ideas is, if they're anything like Venom, they'll be mediocre, too, although I hope otherwise. But I wanted to see these villains as antagonists for the main heroes. Otherwise, Sony will drag up some boring Z-list villains, like Riot, to be the villains, while trying to make the main villains into 'heroes.'

I'm sure they plan on it and want him too - will it play out like they want though? Who knows...
    It's a bit hard to gauge exactly what will happen right now. Supposedly Vulture is showing up in Morbius.

BANNED

No their track record is not that bad, to be very fair their track record just speaking from a substance artistic place was just normal and expected, almost in the same range as Fox, and this as I said, is expected. it comes in the package when you make movies, with different freedom and vision. which is the typical standard for some franchises. Sony or WB.

I will not even say amazing spiderman movies are all that bad overall.. Additionally Andrew Garfield playing the character had his own very vocal fanbase. So apart from maybe some on the other side to Marvel studios than Sony, saying sony had a mediocre track record, there is just no clearance to this. If not for anything the highest top ranked Spiderman films are Sony films. at least if we are going to talk, movie making art. Spiderverse, Spiderman 1, Spiderman 2 , so the narrative that sony track record is mediocre is just false. you cannot be mediocre and be held reasonable for almost half of the best films in the entire series. that logic is flawed.

Venom is actually a very liked aloof movie in the comic genre because it was just so different from what we have been used to seeing in the past maybe 5 years so that breathe of fresh air thing worked well for comic fans and Spiderman been such a legendary character with his rogues gallery been one of the best in any comic/sci fi fiction, a Spiderman villain movie like Venom was always going to be more interesting than a movie compared to another movie, where he is seen as more as an Iron Man junior kind of character.

Venom just has to keep getting better and I think even the talk of introducing Spiderman in the Venom movie series or Sony Spiderverse that is also including Mobius, will not be all that relevant any more. Yeah. The rogues gallery of the Spiderman Universe is that good, they can still work quite well without Peter Parker.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-08-2021 at 07:45 AM.

You mean Spider-Man 3, right?
    Yep, meant 3. Maybe even my subconscious didn't want to type the name of that movie it was so bad...
    Venom is mediocre, and a bit too '90s,' but I didn't hate it, and I like Hardy as Brock/Venom. But I haven't loved a live action Sony-man movie since SM2. V:LTBC looks entertaining
    Same, Spider-Man 2 was the last great Spider-Man film in live action. I...don't care for the MCU Spider-Man films to date.

My problem with Sony's villain movie ideas is, if they're anything like Venom, they'll be mediocre, too, although I hope otherwise. But I wanted to see these villains as antagonists for the main heroes. Otherwise, Sony will drag up some boring Z-list villains, like Riot, to be the villains, while trying to make the main villains into 'heroes.'
    They'd probably be mediocre even if they were saved to be antagonists for the main heroes, you realize that right? Other than that, I get it, that's what I'd have preferred too. But Sony kind of screwed up, made a deal with Disney, so don't really have any main heroes largely outside of Spider-Man, and they can only make a Spider-Man movie so often. So they got to look at the characters they have left, and figure out which ones can maybe be their new "main" heroes to build out their own little universe.

That said, the only villains they're making into heroes is Venom and Morbius, and Venom has already been an anti-hero in the comics plenty of times, and I remember Morbius being a tragic not-evil figure in the 90's cartoon, so it kind of makes sense. I don't expect Green Goblin or Vulture or Electro to become heroes.

It's a bit hard to gauge exactly what will happen right now. Supposedly Vulture is showing up in Morbius.
    Not supposedly, Keaton's Vulture is legit in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    No their track record is not that bad, to be very fair their track record just speaking from a substance artistic place was just normal and expected, almost in the same range as Fox, and this as I said, is expected. it comes in the package when you make movies, with different freedom and vision. which is the typical standard for some franchises. Sony or WB.

I will not even say amazing spiderman movies are all that bad overall.. Additionally Andrew Garfield playing the character had his own very vocal fanbase. So apart from maybe some on the other side to Marvel studios than Sony, saying sony had a mediocre track record, there is just no clearance to this. If not for anything the highest top ranked Spiderman films are Sony films. at least if we are going to talk, movie making art. Spiderverse, Spiderman 1, Spiderman 2 , so the narrative that sony track record is mediocre is just false. you cannot be mediocre and be held reasonable for almost half of the best films in the entire series. that logic is flawed.

Venom is actually a very liked aloof movie in the comic genre because it was just so different from what we have been used to seeing in the past maybe 5 years so that breathe of fresh air thing worked well for comic fans and Spiderman been such a legendary character with his rogues gallery been one of the best in any comic/sci fi fiction, a Spiderman villain movie like Venom was always going to be more interesting than a movie compared to another movie, where he is seen as more as an Iron Man junior kind of character.

Venom just has to keep getting better and I think even the talk of introducing Spiderman in the Venom movie series or Sony Spiderverse that is also including Mobius, will not be all that relevant any more. Yeah. The rogues gallery of the Spiderman Universe is that good, they can still work quite well without Peter Parker.
    I always thought the Amazing films have gotten more flack than they deserve - they aren't great, and Foxx's Electro was...terrible (not on the actor but the script/director there). But I found both of them to be enjoyable enough. I would have watched a third entry - and honestly, I prefer them to the two MCU entries with Holland, which just feels like...not Peter Parker and not Spider-Man at all to me.

And agreed, I really enjoyed Venom as this weird and wacky thing and the trailer for Venom 2 looks really fun and exciting personally. The trailer for Morbius isn't that great for me, but that's just the first impression from the trailer, still going to give the film a chance. Sony is in a weird place in that they sort of have to scrap out this weird niche with their properties since they don't have as much of a more traditional box to play with like MCU/DCEU, but they still want to compete in this space - which makes a lot of people (comic book fans) more skeptical of these film decisions, but also kind of makes it more interesting because it's harder to imagine how it's all going to work and play out.