Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of the Holliday Girls?

I rant a lot about them here, but under the suggestion of someone else I decided to create a thread just to know read about what others think of them both as a concept and in execution.

Didn't they used to spank each other with paddles? Or was that just Etta Candy whoo whoo doing the spanking?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think they serve a very specific era which is WWII and I'm cool with them. They could probably be re-worked into modern day, a sorority inspired by WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think they serve a very specific era which is WWII and I'm cool with them.
    What makes you feel that way? Again, not here to debate, just want a further understanding of your views.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What makes you feel that way? Again, not here to debate, just want a further understanding of your views.
    Probably because I'm used to them being part of that era and they seem so quirky to a degree.

Personally im a big fan of them. A group of sorority girls who love crime fighting and adventuring. Lots of fun with a concept like that.
    A bit back I even brainstormed up ideas for a Holliday girl tv show. Given the nature of the group I imagined it would be fairly doable with a tv budget and lead to alot of fun.

There were a number of stand out members of the sorority that I quite liked.
    Etta of course, who was an action heroine herself.
    Marya the Giantess who really felt like she could have spun off into her own series.
    The villainous Gell Ousy who attempted to slaughter the queen of Venus.
    Roberta Strong the gun toting adventurer
    Selina the princess of Pogolania, the country which invented the pogo stick which it uses in all aspects of the countries life.
    Wanta Wynn the Holliday girl who upon obtaining Amazonian super strength turned to a life of villainy
    Nifty the college girl by day and sky pirate with a pet astral time beast by night

And on top of that there were so many nutty professors at their school for the Holliday girls to bounce off of when they wern't off punching nazis and mopping the floor with supervillains

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Selina the princess of Pogolania, the country which invented the pogo stick which it uses in all aspects of the countries life.
    Hahahahaha. Man, what a concept.

Hahahahaha. Man, what a concept.
    Countries national sport was like basketball, but played with motorized pogo sticks that would vault someone fifty feet into the air

Incredible Member

I like them in their context, and I love Etta. They're a way for the reader to see themselves helping a hero, like the Newsboy Legion, and they amp up the camp a bit. After all, no college would really be named "Holliday," and no family with the surname Candy would actually name children "Etta," "Mint," & "Hard." But they add a buoyancy to the stories and give Diana a sisterhood to be part of away from Paradise Island.

I think they could work in a modern context, but if the college association is kept, that likely means either re-inventing Etta again or creating a new, fun ringleader.

Many colleges are named after the surnames of their founders. Such as Harvard for example. Holliday is a real surname so its not that hard to believe.

As for children with unfortunate names....
    https://theawesomedaily.com/wp-conte...AxNjc1MDE4.jpg
    https://theawesomedaily.com/wp-conte...Q5MjM0NDAy.jpg
    Reality is weird

Definitely something that worked in past times, and that easily can be made to work again, as both Legends of Wonder Woman and Earth One showed. The concept of "mortal" sidekicks is seriously underused by modern superhero stories anyway, so there would be plenty of freedom in execution too.

The bondage/spanking themes of the sorority that Marston had didn't age well, but that's easily ditched.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post

I think they could work in a modern context, but if the college association is kept, that likely means either re-inventing Etta again or creating a new, fun ringleader.
    Why would Etta have to be reworked, or to what extent?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The bondage/spanking themes of the sorority that Marston had didn't age well, but that's easily ditched.
    That sort of thing was pretty common for fraternities/sororities of the time. With Marston lifting them scene for scene from actual events.
    https://listverse.com/2015/11/22/10-...zing-scandals/
    Even nowadays tying people up and newcomers being paddled is a common part of college initiations

Incredible Member

Why would Etta have to be reworked, or to what extent?
    I meant reworked from her current status, which I think is...an agent of ARGUS, still? Unless she's part of Holliday college because she's going back to school, perhaps, and forms a bond with a group of like-minded students. Or maybe works at Holliday police academy?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I meant reworked from her current status, which I think is...an agent of ARGUS, still? Unless she's part of Holliday college because she's going back to school, perhaps, and forms a bond with a group of like-minded students. Or maybe works at Holliday police academy?
    Oh ok, you're right.