Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Man of Steel 2 Hunting For Writers; Abrams/Coates Fate Uncertain

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...on-1235243030/
    Under Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav and Warner Bros. Pictures heads Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy, Warners has an intense desire to reprise the Cavill iteration of the hero. The project that would essentially be Man of Steel 2 is being produced by Charles Roven and is currently in a search for writers. (There is a wishlist, of course. And Christopher McQuarrie, the hand that guides the Mission: Impossible movies was on it. McQuarrie worked with Cavill on the 2018 installment, Fallout, but sources say no official outreach has been made nor may it be feasible, as the director is working on the next back-to-back Impossible installments.)
    If not MacQuarrie I’m guessing it will be Vaughn. I just hope Cavill gets a good scriptwriter. Oh in regards to the Abrams/Coates Black Superman project:
    Superman, as well as Cavill, were not in the initial plans for Black Adam. The idea was hatched during a round of reshoots for the movie earlier this year, but the cameo was nixed by Hamada, the executive who for the last four years had tried hard to move DC beyond the era where one filmmaker, in this case Zack Snyder, had an inordinate amount of influence and could command an entire slate for years. Hamada had his own Superman plans, one of them involving introducing a Black Superman with a multi-decade-spanning story by writer Ta-Nehisi Coates.

It is unclear where the Superman moves leave Abrams, who is still on track to produce Coates’ movie centered on the last son of Krypton. That feature would exist outside any larger DC movie continuity, much like Todd Phillips Joker movies. The mega-producer had a few setbacks when some of his DC shows — based in the supernatural corners of DC and featuring characters such as Constantine and Zatanna — were scrapped at WBD’s HBO Max streaming service. They are now being shopped to other streamers. But he is not out of the game and is yet another Hollywood power in the mix vying for a piece of the DC pie.

All of this takes place as Hamada, who did not attend the Adam premiere in New York Oct. 12, packs away the final personal effects from his Burbank studio lot office ahead of his last day some time this week. The executive is not even taking a producing deal with the studio, a move that is traditional amongst execs who are being let go but given a soft landing and a courteous “thank you for your service.” To many, that action speaks volumes about how rough the transition from the AT&T era to Discovery under Zaslav has been, including the controversial cancellation of the Batgirl movie in August.
    TL DR Hamada was the main one pushing for a Black Superman project and now he’s gone. He’s not even taking a production deal. Given WBD is shifting back to the shared universe and focusing on Cavill, Abrams JLD projects got passed over, Zaslav isn’t happy with the Abrams deal, and Hamada was the only one pushing for this to get made, I expect this project will die.

Oh and Last Son of Krypton: I told you so
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I’m really excited by this news! I hope the movie will be about Superman and Supergirl going up against Brainiac.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I’m really excited by this news! I hope the movie will be about Superman and Supergirl going up against Brainiac.
    Cavill wanted to fight Brainiac and Brainiac is the #3 Superman bad guy so he makes the most sense. Sasha showing up there and then getting her own solo spin-off is likely.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I would’ve preferred a recast/hard reboot but I guess I’m okay with Cavil coming back as long he’s given a good script and a better director this time around.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 10-17-2022 at 04:20 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

The Abrams/Coates project is dead as dead, even if it's not official yet.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I would’ve preferred a recast/hard reboot but I guess I’m okay with Cavil coming back as long he’s given a good script and a better director this time around.
    In the short term Cavill is still okay, but moving forward I still say bringing back a lot of the old DCEU cast is problematic because they're all getting older.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I remember it wasn't that long ago that we thought that Superman might be MIA for good on the big screen and they were planning on using expys to replace him. My ideal scenario was a full on reboot but I'm happy with Cavill as long as it's a solo movie that focuses on Clark and has good creative talent behind it. McQuarrie would be cool but I think it's unlikely based on his schedule but anyone with a history of well received films is fine with me.

**** man, I'm finally excited about DC movies again after a long time. I really liked The Batman but there's been plenty of good Batman movies for me. I've been really wanting a great Superman one. Hope they nail it this time

The elephant in the room is going to be that Lois will probably have to be recast. By the time filming would start, she'd be pushing 50. I know, people will yell agism and get mad that its a female character that this is happening too, but Adams is nearly a decade older than Cavill. That didn't matter in 2013, a nearly-40 Lois is more than doable, but with the huge gap between projects, it's a problem now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-17-2022 at 05:00 PM.

I feel like she will likely be recast along with everyone else relevant from those movies. I have a feeling they will use Flashpoint to essentially soft reboot the Superman series. The only thing that will really carry over will probably be Henry Cavill as Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The Abrams/Coates project is dead as dead, even if it's not official yet.
    Basically yeah. It’s telling that despite saying Abrams is “still in it” THR can’t even list any projects that he might make. Fully expect him to be gone once his contract is up. Given Hamada seems to have been his biggest supporter, and there’s clearly bad blood between Zaslav and Hamada, Abrams is on the out as a result of the regime change.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I remember it wasn't that long ago that we thought that Superman might be MIA for good on the big screen and they were planning on using expys to replace him. My ideal scenario was a full on reboot but I'm happy with Cavill as long as it's a solo movie that focuses on Clark and has good creative talent behind it. McQuarrie would be cool but I think it's unlikely based on his schedule but anyone with a history of well received films is fine with me.

**** man, I'm finally excited about DC movies again after a long time. I really liked The Batman but there's been plenty of good Batman movies for me. I've been really wanting a great Superman one. Hope they nail it this time
    You’re still a tier above us lol, more movies starring Batman Rogues on the way, but yeah at least the entire Trinity are getting movies. Great to have Snyder gone but now we need to hope the next director/writer will do a better job (and maybe bother to actually be a fan of the character and read his stories).

They're searching for a writer. By the time they find one and go through writes and rewrites it'll be next summer. The timing works as Cavill is filming Witcher 4/5 from mid 2023 to mid 2024. That gives them plenty of time to complete a shooting script, casting and pre-production. They go into actual production mid-2024 for a film release in 2025 - most likely Christmas.

In the minority on this but I don't want Supergirl in the film. She is being inserted to set up a Supergirl solo trilogy. That means she gets serious screen time in the sequel to the detriment of core characters like Jimmy and Perry and others who were not developed by Snyder. I want a Superman solo not a Superman team up. The other issue is Cavill's performance as Superman. He was underwhelming in the Snyder films while Calle is supposedly great in the Flash per audience reactions. If Cavill does not step up his game Calle could outshine him. It could end up like BvsS where WB execs wanted more Batman and less Superman after seeing early cuts of the film. This is why the director is critical. McQuarrie got a solid performance out of Cavill in MI6 and would be perfect in the role, but it sounds like he won't be available.

Adams likely chooses not to return which paves the way for a recast. A number of the MOS actors won't return so recasts of most could happen. Absolutely a recast of Luthor if he has a part in the film. A big question is does MOS2 (it won't be called that - I predict it will be called Superman) fit in after MOS but before BvS/JL or after BvS/JL? Because in BvS Clark and Lois were living together and engaged. In JL Lois was pregnant at the end of the film. Hopefully they don't bring that baggage into the sequel. Leave it post MOS with Clark and Lois romantically attracted to each other but not tied down in a relationship. We'll see.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-17-2022 at 05:51 PM.

I'm wondering who would be a good recasted Lois... assuming they bothered with her. If the next Superman movie were a team-up with Sasha Calle (and I hope a blonde wig), I think splitting the screen time between Henry and Sasha and give them the interesting character interaction would be fine by me, or at least it is relative to having Sasha and Coates-man replacing Kal-El completely.. Plus, I think Henry and Amy don't have great on-screen chemistry so what are we really missing out on?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I feel like she will likely be recast along with everyone else relevant from those movies. I have a feeling they will use Flashpoint to essentially soft reboot the Superman series. The only thing that will really carry over will probably be Henry Cavill as Superman
    Agreed. New director coming on board is going to want as much freedom as possible. Plus Cavill and Adams have zero chemistry together, especially compared to Hoechlin and Tulloch.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm wondering who would be a good recasted Lois... assuming they bothered with her. If the next Superman movie were a team-up with Sasha Calle (and I hope a blonde wig), I think splitting the screen time between Henry and Sasha and give them the interesting character interaction would be fine by me, or at least it is relative to having Sasha and Coates-man replacing Kal-El completely.. Plus, I think Henry and Amy don't have great on-screen chemistry so what are we really missing out on?
    So, no Lois? Give the screen time to Calle? How about giving Jimmy's screen time to Calle too? See the danger of making this a team film? It becomes as much about Supergirl as Superman and as such is not a Superman solo. Cavill gets screwed again a la BvsS. His screen time significantly reduced. I can see that happening if Calle is as great as Supergirl as reports suggest. This is likely the only Superman solo we get so make it a Superman film - not a launching pad for another character WBD may have more faith in.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-17-2022 at 06:29 PM.

I don't think Supergirl should be in it either. If things hadn't been botched for ten years and we were on our fourth or fifth film, sure. But a soft reboot scenario and his first solo in that amount of time? No other hero should be in this. Fudge everyone else, especially Batman.