Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Honestly, I'd go further and say its the most enjoyable direction in the entirety of the Infinite Frontier initiative. To me its a gem within a whole lot of crap.
    I like some of the Superman mythos stuff, at least the stuff being focused on Clark. I hope AC remains solely focused on him so I can at least enjoy it and ignore the Jon stuff.

But Diana has the edge in at least being the star of her own book and it doesn't look to be changing. It's probably the only thing coming out now that I really like without any caveats. GL has promise, but I'm waiting till it ends before I read it as I'm apprehensive on a. how Hal is used and b. if he's used at all.

I doubt Wonder Girl #1 is going to have much to due with Diana next week but Jones did say Yara's origin is heavily involved with what is going on with Wonder Woman.

(I'm curious if she means Yara becoming Wonder Girl due to Diana's absence or if she mean her whole origin, like why she had to immigrate to America and be raised separate from the Brazilian Amazons)

Honestly, I'd go further and say its the most enjoyable direction in the entirety of the Infinite Frontier initiative. To me its a gem within a whole lot of crap.
    But enough about the Bat-books

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I doubt Wonder Girl #1 is going to have much to due with Diana next week but Jones did say Yara's origin is heavily involved with what is going on with Wonder Woman.

(I'm curious if she means Yara becoming Wonder Girl due to Diana's absence or if she mean her whole origin, like why she had to immigrate to America and be raised separate from the Brazilian Amazons)
    I want to believe DC editorial has a plan for the Wonder books. Between the main book, Sensation, Black and Gold, Wonder Girl, and the Nubia book that they better follow through on, now would be the time!

If Moore has to go, I wouldn't mind Jones on the main WW book. But I get the impression she's wants dual writer/artist gigs. But imagine the goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    I want to believe DC editorial has a plan for the Wonder books. Between the main book, Sensation, Black and Gold, Wonder Girl, and the Nubia book that they better follow through on, now would be the time!

If Moore has to go, I wouldn't mind Jones on the main WW book. But I get the impression she's wants dual writer/artist gigs. But imagine the goodness.
    I don’t see Jones doing Wonder Woman. Wonder Girl is a character she created on her own so I think she would want to make sure her development goes the way she has planned.

This was a WONDERful issue! My only is the back up issue short pages. During future state I believe the backups had the same amount of page time. I need the pace to move more quickly.

The backup did nothing for me this month either. Last month was pretty intriguing but this month had nothing that truly grabbed my attention. The underwater world was nice to look at though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    They better do. It's about damn time!

Wouldn't go quite that far. Of the IF's I also enjoy Catwoman and GL, but Wonder Woman is the book that makes me giddy with excitement. Nothing can sabotage the 2nd Tuesday of the month for me.

It’s enjoyable so far...but I’ll wait to see if they stick the landing before I go all-out with my praise.
    Last edited by Largo161; 05-13-2021 at 11:55 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I confess I was so wrapped up in events from the first chunk between elements like Deadman poppping up and that villain stunt by Doctor Psycho and discussing future Valkyrie-ness that I neglected to even comment on the backup.

I honestly found it to be quite delightful. It establishes a younger Diana being legit terrified of something which I think has happened...Never?
    Further, I appreciate that it took the opportunity to flesh out Oenone, a Perez created Amazon who I remember for being one of the ones objecting against contact with the outside world.
    Establishing her as the caretaker of the bigass mega super sharks and even preferring to be around the sharks and plants she cares for over other people is an interesting role to put her in.

Namedropping Io as developing scuba gear, referencing the purple healing ray, Having Diana befriend a young shark which while named 'Theo' instead of 'Hookswift', does remind me of Simones story from #750 where it established Diana befriending one of the giant sharks as a wee child.

While not as mind blowing as the events of the A story, the young Diana is functioning well to world build the island, flesh out and define the roles of specific Amazons, and if events in it are acknowledged by the present day, then it works to set up characters within future stories.

The Ganubellacloonrad [?] Wonder Woman is the best, since...honestly, I want to say, since Walt Simonson's run on THOR? Ho'ho! Very good, though, ..AND she sounds, like a human being, again. No more Xena Booringer Princess! Plenty fun in the 'Young Diana' backup, too."
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-14-2021 at 02:01 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The Ganubellacloonrad [?] Wonder Woman is the best, since...honestly, I want to say, since Walt Simonson's run on THOR. Ho'ho! It's very good, though.
    This gets at why my praise is tempered (for now). The story reads like an MCU Thor movie. That’s not a transformation I was looking for in Diana. It’s why I’m curious to see what the team does with her post-Norse gods.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    This gets at why my praise is tempered (for now). The story reads like an MCU Thor movie. That’s not a transformation I was looking for in Diana. It’s why I’m curious to see what the team does with her post-Norse gods.
    I will admit, my biggest concerns with the "new direction" DC is taking for Diana involves taking her away from Earth too often. I like the break, but she's still an Earth hero, not a cosmic hero.

And from my understanding, Thor books take place less on Earth and more in other realms, so I am feeling that comparison.

I'm wary also though more because Wilson's run taught me a decent opening arc doesn't mean the rest of the run won't go downhill rather quickly.

Honestly, I don't see the comparison. I mean, of course there are lots of elements from Norse Mythology, but that's just aesthetic. And even then it doesn't resemble Marvel at all, and much more like the actual mythology.

Odin takes several forms including that of a weird homeless man traveller. The talking Snake isn't a monster to be fought, just a task and a trick to be outsmarted. Plus the whole aspect of reincarnation and the metaphysical mystery. Dr Psycho is a dwarf and a creates weapons, but even then his main purpose in the story is as a sort of evil spirit that is trying to take the hero off his course.

This story clearly takes a lot of inspiration from fantastical tales from the middle age, the types of things that inspired Tolkien. And of course that the relationship between Diana and ratatosky is a thing of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I will admit, my biggest concerns with the "new direction" DC is taking for Diana involves taking her away from Earth too often. I like the break, but she's still an Earth hero, not a cosmic hero.

And from my understanding, Thor books take place less on Earth and more in other realms, so I am feeling that comparison.
    We've had enough Man's World stories for now, I really don't want to go back to the suspicious Officer Nunez or whatever her name was. I've often thought Wonder Woman should be more freewheeling and wide ranging like Thor. Some of Diana's best arcs were in other realms, bring on the Valkyries and fairies! A flagon of mead and a rollicking jolly good time for all!