Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member HsssH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,428

    Default Batman: Detective #2 discussion

    Key things that happened:

    - Batman releases the guy that he captured so that he'd lead them to the villains. It leads to Paris, but the bugged guy gets killed and they move to another location.
    - Batman meets Ducard on his way to Paris. He is working on his case separately and offers a team up. I don't know much about Ducard, but he claims that Batman is one of the two best students he had. Who is the other one?
    - Ducard is waiting for Batman in his hotel, but villains get to him first.
    - Fight breaks out and moments before Batman arrives Ducard is shot. I think implication is that he is not dead and villains intend to run away, while Batman is saving Ducard's life.
    - In the background another plot is being developed concerning Baryl and Amina with Batman asking many questions related to Amina. I suspect that she might be Baryl's daughter? And father maybe is Dark Ranger from Batman Inc.? Since from what I remember they kinda got together in Morrison's second volume.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Key things that happened:

    - Batman releases the guy that he captured so that he'd lead them to the villains. It leads to Paris, but the bugged guy gets killed and they move to another location.
    - Batman meets Ducard on his way to Paris. He is working on his case separately and offers a team up. I don't know much about Ducard, but he claims that Batman is one of the two best students he had. Who is the other one?
    - Ducard is waiting for Batman in his hotel, but villains get to him first.
    - Fight breaks out and moments before Batman arrives Ducard is shot. I think implication is that he is not dead and villains intend to run away, while Batman is saving Ducard's life.
    - In the background another plot is being developed concerning Baryl and Amina with Batman asking many questions related to Amina. I suspect that she might be Baryl's daughter? And father maybe is Dark Ranger from Batman Inc.? Since from what I remember they kinda got together in Morrison's second volume.
    Ducard had a son named Morgan who became a villian called Nobody. So he could be it but I don't remember if Morgan and Ducard had a close relationship.

  3. #3
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Ducard had a son named Morgan who became a villian called Nobody. So he could be it but I don't remember if Morgan and Ducard had a close relationship.
    So awesome to see him again!

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member vitruvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,007

    Default

    Since this group's goal is to do away with everyone Batman has saved, and Batman has saved the entire world multiple times both solo and as a team effort, does it follow that they ultimately want to destroy the entire world and kill everyone in it, including themselves? If not, why not?

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    - Batman meets Ducard on his way to Paris. He is working on his case separately and offers a team up. I don't know much about Ducard, but he claims that Batman is one of the two best students he had. Who is the other one?
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Ducard had a son named Morgan who became a villian called Nobody. So he could be it but I don't remember if Morgan and Ducard had a close relationship.
    I'm probably wrong but when I read this issue, I thought Ducard was foreshadowing that the leader of this group of villains is the second student.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    So awesome to see him again!
    Just a theory of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I'm probably wrong but when I read this issue, I thought Ducard was foreshadowing that the leader of this group of villains is the second student.
    It's just a theory of mine. Your theory is more likely.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member HsssH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Since this group's goal is to do away with everyone Batman has saved, and Batman has saved the entire world multiple times both solo and as a team effort, does it follow that they ultimately want to destroy the entire world and kill everyone in it, including themselves? If not, why not?
    Probably universe/Earth saving things didn't happen in this continuity.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member vitruvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Probably universe/Earth saving things didn't happen in this continuity.
    Where has this been stated to be an Elseworlds? And even if it is, this very issue mentioned Batman saving the whole of London, so that's at least one major city they would have to destroy in order to achieve their stated goal.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member Eto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    725

    Default

    I'm just glad this issue lived up to its name.

    D E T E C T I V E
    S K I L L S
    B O I

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Where has this been stated to be an Elseworlds? And even if it is, this very issue mentioned Batman saving the whole of London, so that's at least one major city they would have to destroy in order to achieve their stated goal.
    It's very nature as a story set in the future marks it as out of bounds even if it isn't officially labeled elseworlds.

  11. #11
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Really liking how this shapes up, its a cool story and visual great.

    One thing i had to laugh about, was that one Panel that had Bruce talking with Ducard, because it looked like Bruce was deliberately puffing out his chest...that made me laugh out loud.
    Loving that is really more on the Detective side of things.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member HsssH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Where has this been stated to be an Elseworlds? And even if it is, this very issue mentioned Batman saving the whole of London, so that's at least one major city they would have to destroy in order to achieve their stated goal.
    Well it is set in the future and future is always out of continuity till it actually happens. Good point on London, it is either oversight by Taylor or this group simply doesn't have the fire-power to destroy entire city so they are starting "small".

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member vitruvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's very nature as a story set in the future marks it as out of bounds even if it isn't officially labeled elseworlds.
    I'm having trouble following your logic - how does a story being set in the future imply that past stories in which Batman has saved the world are no longer part of his history? Especially when plenty of other past history, such as Batman's relationship with Knight and Squire, Ducard, etc., is drawn upon?

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member vitruvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Well it is set in the future and future is always out of continuity till it actually happens. Good point on London, it is either oversight by Taylor or this group simply doesn't have the fire-power to destroy entire city so they are starting "small".
    Future in no way implies that the past hasn't happened.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    I'm having trouble following your logic - how does a story being set in the future imply that past stories in which Batman has saved the world are no longer part of his history? Especially when plenty of other past history, such as Batman's relationship with Knight and Squire, Ducard, etc., is drawn upon?
    It's pretty standard knowledge among comic readers, all stories set in the future are only "possible" futures because the publishers of mainstream superhero books will never definitively end a character because they are at the end of the day just streams of revenue to them. And as it's only a "possible" future writers are allowed to be divergent in terms of characterization and history so unless something is definitively said in the actual book that connects it to others it's fruitless to posit what stories may or may not be in play so you just have to take the story as it is on its own. To do otherwise is madness.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •