Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We need more Steve Martin in this thread.

Boisterously Confused

I can't go along with the premise that there is a "The Best" in the category. Several of those mentioned are really great. And there are several others to add to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It Happened One Night with Clark Gable? I heard this is the film ironically Roman Holiday initially ripped off from although I have never seen it but I am guessing it must be great, when you think this is the film that won Clark Gable the Oscar for Best Actor and not Gone with the Wind but I doubt I would like it more than Roman Holiday, Roman Holiday just melts my heart.
    Fun fact, Hollywood lore has it that Gable was assigned to It Happened One Night as punishment for turning down another studio role, and both he a d Colbert were expecting it to be complete disaster. She, in fact, told friends that she had made the worst film of her career.

The five romantic comedies in my "Top 100" are:
    • Bringing Up Baby (1938)
    • Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
    • It Happened One Night (1934)
    • Some Like It Hot (1959)
    • When Harry Met Sally (1989)

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...est-Films-quot
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Sense And Sensibility (1995) with Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, and Alan Rickman is my favorite. I've seen it about 25 times and never get tired of it. Thompson won an Oscar for writing the screenplay.

UPDATE: I just realized the thread title said "comedy". Missed that completely.

While there is humor in the film, I wouldn't call Sense And Sensibility a comedy. So sorry.
    I also debated this, but I agree with you, films like Shakespeare in Love (1998) and Sense & Sensibility (1995), while both very funny at points, are more pure romances with comedy. The same way Singin' in the Rain (1952) is a musical with comedy and romance, but a musical first and foremost.

EXTRA FUN FACT: Emma Thompson is THE ONLY PERSON to ever win an Oscar for both writing and acting.

Love Actually is the best shallow comedy of all time. I will give you that on a plate.
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!

It Happened One Night with Clark Gable? I heard this is the film ironically Roman Holiday initially ripped off from although I have never seen it but I am guessing it must be great, when you think this is the film that won Clark Gable the Oscar for Best Actor and not Gone with the Wind but I doubt I would like it more than Roman Holiday, Roman Holiday just melts my heart.
    It's a magnificent film. It's most famous moment is probably the lifting up the skirt to stop a car to hitchhike; and "the wall of Jericho came tumblin' down!". It's brilliant, one of only three films to win the 'top five' at the Oscars (Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Writing).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Missed the "romantic" part lol

I say Sleepless in Seattle.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Mrs. Jennings running and Mrs. Dashwood whooping Miss Steele's ass is pure comedy thou
    Mrs. Jennings was a hoot for sure.

Fannie whooping up on Miss Steele was one of my favorite scenes in the film.

corpse bride and just friends

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Would the animated Beauty and the Beast count? Because if so, that.
    If it doesn't, then I'd still consider it an all-time favorite & a definite classic (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-10-2021 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Retired

I think that a romantic comedy should be equal parts romance and comedy. Some of the movies listed on here might be romantic, but I don't find them funny enough to be outright comedies--movies like THE APARTMENT and THE PHILADELPHIA STORY have such serious elements in them that I wouldn't say they're really rom-coms. If seriousness was allowed to that degree, then IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE would qualify as a romantic comedy. And, while there are several modern rom-comcs that I love, I'm disposed to give the honour to the classic Hollywood movies, as they define the form.

I really love HIS GIRL FRIDAY, but since that started out as THE FRONT PAGE, maybe it's too much comedy and not enough romance. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT seems like the perfect candidate, but I'd also nominate THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER, NINOTCHKA and MY MAN GODFREY.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Would the animated Beauty and the Beast count? Because if so, that.
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    If it doesn't, then I'd still consider it an all-time favorite & a definite classic (IMHO):

Beauty and the Beast is a beautiful film but I consider it more as a Romantic Thriller than a Romantic Comedy

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

There's Something About Mary is almost a 10/10 movie but the third act plot twists derail the movie into being a 5/10.

The best romantic comedy for me has to be Billy Wilder's The Apartment.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Highlander. There's a lot of Romance and some beheadings as well. Just the way I like it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I also debated this, but I agree with you, films like Shakespeare in Love (1998) and Sense & Sensibility (1995), while both very funny at points, are more pure romances with comedy. The same way Singin' in the Rain (1952) is a musical with comedy and romance, but a musical first and foremost.

EXTRA FUN FACT: Emma Thompson is THE ONLY PERSON to ever win an Oscar for both writing and acting.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!
    Absolutely

Though I like Love Actually and I watch it during Christmas but boy, was the film shallow. I don't understand the dude who mistakes love for just going to LA to sleep with a bunch of girls at first meeting

the best love ironically happen to be the kids, Sam and Joanna, the scene were Sm tells his uncle he is in love was so hilarious. LMAO.

It happened one night has officially gone on my watch list.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-13-2021 at 11:49 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    There's Something About Mary is almost a 10/10 movie but the third act plot twists derail the movie into being a 5/10.

If I am ranking the Cameron Diaz films.

There's Something About Mary >>> My best friend's wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post

the third act plot twists? You mean the homeless guy? I really don't see how that brings the movie down....