Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Best Romantic Comedy Movie of all time.

There are some that would be very familiar and loved in the era I was born or growing up like Pretty Woman, When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle, However the best romantic comedy I have ever seen and even dived into fan fiction reading and obsession at a point in time is Roman Holiday (1953) staring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, , which I must also add are the best looking and most sizzling couple with chemistry ever to grace the screen.

The best of the very best to me.

Honestly it does not get better than this movie.

What is your favourite romantic comedy of all time, if you could name just one?
    Last edited by Castle; 05-11-2021 at 08:08 AM.

Love Actually is the only acceptable answer here. That film (and the drinking game to go along with it) brings people together.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

For me, My Big Fat Greek Wedding easily wins Best Romantic Comedy

It Happened One Night is probably my favorite true romantic comedy. The only thing that would change that for me is if you count The Apartment as a romantic comedy.

Extraordinary Member

Sense And Sensibility (1995) with Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, and Alan Rickman is my favorite. I've seen it about 25 times and never get tired of it. Thompson won an Oscar for writing the screenplay.

UPDATE: I just realized the thread title said "comedy". Missed that completely.

While there is humor in the film, I wouldn't call Sense And Sensibility a comedy. So sorry.
    Last edited by caj; 05-11-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Off the top of my head, When Harry Met Sally. But Shrek 1 & 2 are close.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Love Actually is the only acceptable answer here. That film (and the drinking game to go along with it) brings people together.
    Love Actually is the best shallow comedy of all time. I will give you that on a plate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    It Happened One Night is probably my favorite true romantic comedy. The only thing that would change that for me is if you count The Apartment as a romantic comedy.
    It Happened One Night with Clark Gable? I heard this is the film ironically Roman Holiday initially ripped off from although I have never seen it but I am guessing it must be great, when you think this is the film that won Clark Gable the Oscar for Best Actor and not Gone with the Wind but I doubt I would like it more than Roman Holiday, Roman Holiday just melts my heart.

I think I'm with you on Roman Holiday, it's always great, however it has strong competition from The Philadelphia Story, The Apartment, Some Like It Hot, and Strictly Ballroom for the top spot in my affections.

Extraordinary Member

I'd probably have to go with Annie Hall, though if the first 2 Shrek movies count they'd give it a run for its money. I also adore The Lady Eve.

Would the animated Beauty and the Beast count? Because if so, that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I think I'm with you on Roman Holiday, it's always great, however it has strong competition from The Philadelphia Story, The Apartment, Some Like It Hot, and Strictly Ballroom for the top spot in my affections.
    Honestly I was quite disappointed with the Philadelphia story when you think it had the big superstars like Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn and James Stewart, I found the movie very average.

I cannot also believe that movie is what won James Stewart his Oscar....meh. He should have won for Rear Window and Cary Grant is bland in the movie, for an actor I consider the greatest comedic actor of the golden age because of films like Monkey Business and Operation Petticoat.

I think I would choose Guess who is coming to dinner over the Philadelphia Story because Katherine Hepburn seems to have more chemistry with Spencer Tracy than James Stewart or Cary Grant

As for Some like it hot. It is a Billy Wider film, it has Marilyn Monroe and was ranked number 1 on AFI best comedy film ...so enough said on the greatness of that film.

I have not seen the other 2 you mentioned.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-11-2021 at 11:22 AM.

I think The Philadelphia Story gets better the more times you see it. I'm quite old now, and I've seen it half a dozen times. The first time I saw it I think I probably thought it was a bit flat, though some of that would be because I was so familiar with the musical version (High Society).

Operation Petticoat is a film I love, though I didn't include it in my list as I never think of it as 'romantic', though of course it is.

The Apartment... it might be stretching it to call it a romantic comedy, I guess. Jack Lemon and Shirley MacLaine are on top form, though, even if it doesn't get full-on romantic.

Strictly Ballroom I think is awesome, but its sense of humour isn't for everyone - I've seen a bunch of people say it didn't work for them, so I'd be hesitant to recommend it to you.

I agree Roman Holiday (1953) is a good movie and enjoyable to watch

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    UPDATE: I just realized the thread title said "comedy". Missed that completely.

While there is humor in the film, I wouldn't call Sense And Sensibility a comedy. So sorry.
    Mrs. Jennings running and Mrs. Dashwood whooping Miss Steele's ass is pure comedy thou