Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Venom, did Sony miss a golden opportunity

Did Sony miss an opportunity to introduce Eddie as villain in a Spiderman movie, let him move to LA to be a lethal protector in the Venom movie and then have that same anti-hero with issues with Spidey/Peter that could team up for an Absolute Carnage type flick. With the retconned origin it seems they missed out on having their own expanded Spiderverse by separating Venom's origins from Peter. They could have at least gone the GvK route. I know Sony had visions of Peter being an Avenger running through their heads but they missed an opportunity to build their own lil mini marvel spider-verse.

I think that was the plan but the poor reception to the Webb/Garfield movies and the MCU's introduction caused them to just do it anyway.

You can't say they "missed out" since there's no guarantee that would have been successful. They already tried Venom in a Spidey film and it wasn't well-received at all, whereas this current version has done well enough to warrant a sequel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Did Sony miss an opportunity to introduce Eddie as villain in a Spiderman movie, let him move to LA to be a lethal protector in the Venom movie and then have that same anti-hero with issues with Spidey/Peter that could team up for an Absolute Carnage type flick. With the retconned origin it seems they missed out on having their own expanded Spiderverse by separating Venom's origins from Peter. They could have at least gone the GvK route. I know Sony had visions of Peter being an Avenger running through their heads but they missed an opportunity to build their own lil mini marvel spider-verse.
    I do feel it would've been better if we got an actually good Spider-Man vs. Venom movie

Venom made as much as Spider-Man Homecoming, more than ASM 2. So it looks like Sony did the right thing.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It's something that could still happen. They could just meet in a future movie and come to blows there. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has a spec script for that.

I remember reading something about Sony wanted there own version of Spiderman outside of the MCU in a future movie

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    You can't say they "missed out" since there's no guarantee that would have been successful. They already tried Venom in a Spidey film and it wasn't well-received at all, whereas this current version has done well enough to warrant a sequel.
    From what I remember, the Venom in Spider-Man 3 was forced onto Raimi by Avi Arad. Raimi didn't want Venom, had no love for the character, and it shows in how he was used in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I remember reading something about Sony wanted there own version of Spiderman outside of the MCU in a future movie
    That may have been during the time when the Marvel/Sony deal fell apart, I think after Endgame. IIRC, there was talk of after Spider-Man: Far From Home that Sony would take the character in their own direction and would no longer co-produce with Marvel, or allow the character to appear in Marvel films. It was a drunken call by Tom Holland to I think the President of Sony that got the two sides to come back together and structure a new deal.

Of course the deal is for one more movie what happens after that is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    From what I remember, the Venom in Spider-Man 3 was forced onto Raimi by Avi Arad. Raimi didn't want Venom, had no love for the character, and it shows in how he was used in the movie.
    Funny, but I always thought that, uncovering Topher Grace's face aside, that it he mostly pulled it off, esp. considering that it was trying to compress a story that works best over a series into one film.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    The inclusion of Venom in Spiderman 3 is what pissed off Sam Raimi and made many marvel fans have a big hatred for Avi Arad, which was understandable., Since Raimi was the talent and Avi was the cashier, who somehow managed to overrule the talent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Funny, but I always thought that, uncovering Topher Grace's face aside, that it he mostly pulled it off, esp. considering that it was trying to compress a story that works best over a series into one film.
    I though he was meh. Not intimidating enough. And they definitely tried to compress to much. Peter outs his fake photo and all of a sudden he's praying for God to kill Peter? Really?

Kind of think they sort of went with the "Dark Peter Parker" angle for Eddie in the Raimi film (Despite their Newspaper background, Parker and Eddie are quite different in the comics-Eddie for one, is far more brute strength and more spiritual), which was kind of redundant because Peter was somewhat already evil himself under the influence of the suit.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I though he was meh. Not intimidating enough. And they definitely tried to compress to much. Peter outs his fake photo and all of a sudden he's praying for God to kill Peter? Really?
    Like I said, I think Venom works best in a serialized format, where it can be set up as a long plot (IMHO, the Spectacular cartoon did it best). Some things didn't work as well as others, but I think all the beats were hit, and it was a plot thread that ran through the hole movie, instead of one that came and went like the others did. But that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of think they sort of went with the "Dark Peter Parker" angle for Eddie in the Raimi film (Despite their Newspaper background, Parker and Eddie are quite different in the comics-Eddie for one, is far more brute strength and more spiritual), which was kind of redundant because Peter was somewhat already evil himself under the influence of the suit.
    Dunno, I think it works in the finale, where we see how Peter was able to pull himself out of the hole, while Brock wasn't, if that makes any sense.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Like I said, I think Venom works best in a serialized format, where it can be set up as a long plot (IMHO, the Spectacular cartoon did it best). Some things didn't work as well as others, but I think all the beats were hit, and it was a plot thread that ran through the hole movie, instead of one that came and went like the others did. But that's me.

Dunno, I think it works in the finale, where we see how Peter was able to pull himself out of the hole, while Brock wasn't, if that makes any sense.
    You're right, Venom needs at least two movies, or maybe over a series of episodes, to be established