Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The comic that marked you

All right, there can’t be just one. But still, if I had to choose one, it would be Gunnm (known in the US as “Battle Angel Alita”) because of the diversity and the richness of the themes. Yukito Kishiro talked about intimacy of the characters and their relationships and also, about broader considerations like dreams, hopes and meaning of life.

There’s violence (quite a lot) but you can always see the author’s goal behind it.

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

For me, it's Mike Carey and Peter Gross's The Unwritten. Its profound and meta commentary on the power and nature of stories and storytelling resonated with me at a time in my life where good stories were the only thing that resonated with me. Plus, it was a fun exploration of a lot of the literature I'd read during my adolescence, with references to even more of my favorite stories.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

My friend used to leave his comics lying all around on the ground. Unfortunately, his dog marked quite a few of them....
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    For me, it's Mike Carey and Peter Gross's The Unwritten. Its profound and meta commentary on the power and nature of stories and storytelling resonated with me at a time in my life where good stories were the only thing that resonated with me. Plus, it was a fun exploration of a lot of the literature I'd read during my adolescence, with references to even more of my favorite stories.
    I haven’t read. Interesting covers…

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    All right, there can’t be just one. But still, if I had to choose one, it would be Gunnm (known in the US as “Battle Angel Alita”) because of the diversity and the richness of the themes. Yukito Kishiro talked about intimacy of the characters and their relationships and also, about broader considerations like dreams, hopes and meaning of life.

]
    That sounds similar to a manga I read a long time ago. the title is Ichigo no Gakkou. It was created by Kizuki Akira (Art), Satou Nanki (Story). It was an incredibly thought-provoking story worth re-reading. The manga Ichigo no Gakkou talked about "intimacy of the characters and their relationships and also, about broader considerations like dreams, hopes and meaning of life".

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    That sounds similar to a manga I read a long time ago. the title is Ichigo no Gakkou. It was created by Kizuki Akira (Art), Satou Nanki (Story). It was an incredibly thought-provoking story worth re-reading. The manga Ichigo no Gakkou talked about "intimacy of the characters and their relationships and also, about broader considerations like dreams, hopes and meaning of life".

I haven’t read neither… But I noticed that most mangas gave room and space to characters’ feelings and moods…

[CENTER][IMG]

I haven’t read neither… But I noticed that most mangas gave room and space to characters’ feelings and moods…
    Yes, Japanese manga creators tend to be philosophical when they are narrating their stories. Their wording was so powerful, you can feel the emotion in their narrative.

I have also read other manga aside from Ichigo no Gakkou. Chobits created by CLAMP was another good example. I have enjoyed reading about the intimacy of the characters and their relationships in the Chobits manga

I haven’t read. Interesting covers…

Indeed! Pretty much all the covers for this series are absolutely mind-blowing to me. I've turned several of them into posters.

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

If we're talking just manga, the only thing I've read is Rurouni Kenshin. It caught my interest for being historical fiction but it captured my heart with its deep themes on loss and repentance and "how to be a man" in a non-toxic masculinity kind of way.

It really can't be just one. I suppose I could go back over memory and search for those books that had the greatest impact on me. To be honest, books like that would be those that kept on giving new experiences after additional readings. Taking the easy way out, I suppose the greatest impact could arguably be the book which started me on this decades long hobby/obsession:

But to me the greatest experiences have always come from doing or creating as opposed to reading or looking at others' experiences. That would be this wonder of the black and white explosion of the eighties when many of us had hopes of being the next TMNT. I mean, the bookwasn't bad, but it was far from great and there's a reason I'm not being actively talked about on these boards.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Amulet, Anya's Ghost and Scott Pilgrim definitely left an impression on me. But Koe no Katachi/A Silent Voicehad the biggest emotional impact on me. The author is very good at handling emotional themes like loneliness, self-hatred, bullying and forgiveness. The original one-shot/first volume alone is great.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

BANNED

Not a great comic (though I still have a soft spot for the whole era), but X-Men #25 (Fatal Attractions, Xavier mindwipes Magneto, Wolverine loses the Adamantium). Until that point I'd read comics like kids were supposed to, pick one up at a grocery store/gas station, read it, maybe give it to a friend, but then forget about it/throw it out. I'd read a collection of old Lee/Kirby FF comics I'd loved in my school library, and my uncle had a very large collection of old Conans/Sagas/Savage Swords I must have read all of at least once, but it was like video games/fantasy books. Enjoy, then move on. I also really liked the X-Men TAS cartoon, and picked this issue up because of that and because hey, cool hologram. It blew my mind, and hooked me on getting every issue after that. Not too long after X-Men: Age of Apocalypse came out and I started buying hardcore. Again, not great stuff but sucked me into monthlies and a hobby/habit of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Amulet, Anya's Ghost and Scott Pilgrim definitely left an impression on me. But Koe no Katachi/A Silent Voicehad the biggest emotional impact on me. The author is very good at handling emotional themes like loneliness, self-hatred, bullying and forgiveness. The original one-shot/first volume alone is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    If we're talking just manga, the only thing I've read is Rurouni Kenshin. It caught my interest for being historical fiction but it captured my heart with its deep themes on loss and repentance and "how to be a man" in a non-toxic masculinity kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Chobits created by CLAMP was another good example. I have enjoyed reading about the intimacy of the characters and their relationships in the Chobits manga
    The last issue of Tokyo Babylon by CLAMP had an impact on me and cast new light on the whole serie.