Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    I was going to say Shogo ruined Jubilee but .... before this she lost all her friends in Gen X, was depowered, and turned into a vampire.

Despite all of that the Shogo arc has still been her worst. All she does now everything is Shogo. She can't be her own character anymore.

It's definitely hindering her character as it's become her whole character.
    Jubilee's character seems to suffer from the classic issue that nobody has any clue what to do with her anymore, but the character is too famous/well known (especialy thanks to X-men: TAS) to be left in Limbo for too long.
    Her original role as teenage sidekick (first for the X-men then for Wolverine) became outdated as her character was officialy aged into young adulthood and new sidekicks got introduced, while it seems she never developed true stand alone qualities in the eyes of many writers.

It's been noticable since the early 2000's and the end of Generation X, that writers struggled to come up with anything for her to do, so she was first relegated to victim roles (because being unimportant yet somewhat liked made her an easy pick to cause some emotional responce) and then went through "throw at the wall and see what sticks" reinventions. New Warriors Jubilee-> Vampire Jubilee -> Mom Jubilee.

Compare to Kitty Pryde who had the benefit of having powers clearly more versatile than Jubilee's micro-nukes, being clearly more liked by her writer and getting transfered to a stand alone team of adult heros, rather than a junior team (which was we know these days have a short shelf life), allowing her to grow out of the teenage sidekick role.

So as much as Shogo is fixating her character on a singular dead end role, removing Shogo would not automatically mean she is getting a better characterization. If anything it just runs the high risk of throwing her back into limbo and make her a candidate for another victim appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Goddess, Clan Akkaba needs to be eradicated...permanently. They're such a ****-waste of space.
    Are they still mutants? If yes, wouldn't they just get brought back?

Also is that a common sentiment among readers?

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Or dads, for that matter. The gold standard for comic book dads is that the kid disappears as a baby (or is never even known to exist in the first place) and then doesn't show up in the 'dad's' life until they are a teenager or adult, so the super-hero dad never actually has to *parent.*

Happens to everyone. Batman, Cyclops, even Superman now has a grown-up kid and missed half of his childhood. (Granted, they are all just following in the footsteps of their own parents. They all lost their dads early, to death or space-piracy, because comic book characters don't just not get to be parents, but they don't get to *have* parents either!)

Jean's just a riot. She's got all these AU kids running around, Rachel, Cable, Nate, and she's not actually given birth to any of them. Hell of a way to avoid stretch marks...

I actually kind of like those rare super-characters who have utterly normal parental situations, like Bobby or Hank. Everyone else? Dead / absent parents. Scott, Jean, Ororo, Logan, Piotr, Sean, Warren, etc.

And then there's the ones I don't even know. Did Jubilee or Rictor ever even have parents? Betsy and Brian? Rogue and Remy? I mean, sure, they must have come from somewhere, but for all their parents have mattered to their storylines over the last few decades, they might as well have been hatched from eggs.
    Jubilee's parents were killed by criminals which is why she had been living in a mall when the X-Men found her.

Rictor had blamed Cable for his father's death, but Stryfe was the real killer.
    My flag is bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Rictor had blamed Cable for his father's death, but Stryfe was the real killer.
    Had almost forgotten about that. It was really early on in the original X-Force run.

Or dads, for that matter. The gold standard for comic book dads is that the kid disappears as a baby (or is never even known to exist in the first place) and then doesn't show up in the 'dad's' life until they are a teenager or adult, so the super-hero dad never actually has to *parent.*

Happens to everyone. Batman, Cyclops, even Superman now has a grown-up kid and missed half of his childhood. (Granted, they are all just following in the footsteps of their own parents. They all lost their dads early, to death or space-piracy, because comic book characters don't just not get to be parents, but they don't get to *have* parents either!)

Jean's just a riot. She's got all these AU kids running around, Rachel, Cable, Nate, and she's not actually given birth to any of them. Hell of a way to avoid stretch marks...

I actually kind of like those rare super-characters who have utterly normal parental situations, like Bobby or Hank. Everyone else? Dead / absent parents. Scott, Jean, Ororo, Logan, Piotr, Sean, Warren, etc.

And then there's the ones I don't even know. Did Jubilee or Rictor ever even have parents? Betsy and Brian? Rogue and Remy? I mean, sure, they must have come from somewhere, but for all their parents have mattered to their storylines over the last few decades, they might as well have been hatched from eggs.
    I'm still waiting for Rogue to wonder about Irene's situation
    It's nice to dream

Jean with those AU kids is kinda of awful. I think a big aspect of motherhood is deiding to be a mother and all the problems tht come with it. Then some grown up adut come to you from nowhere saying they are your kid, it is just too weird. At last with Cable she adopted him when he was a kid and raised him for 12 years on the future.

Jean Grey arents were present and alive for all the time before she died on Morrison's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Krakoa needs better child care services cause there is no reason for Shogo to be at the function!
    Take a closer look at that panel.

He is the only one trying to tell Rictor that he needs to watch his six.

Little dude is easily the preview MVP.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicScion View Post
    I love magic related stories...and I love Otherworld but this Coven is just annoying & uninteresting .... I would rather the Morgana storyline had gone on than the Coven storyline

I would still like to see Amanda Sefton pop up
    Yeah, I’m just not interested in them at all. If they had some actual magic related stuff that didn’t involve this silly HUMAN coven then I’d be interested.
    I’m sorry, but they’re corny as hell and A should have been pissed that this was basically in his name. GTFOH

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Man, I hate this Coven stuff. So Britain sees a mutant with British and Krakoan citizenship a problem, but is ok with witches having their hands in the government?
    I know, right? When has a major democracy ever stigmatized people from another country while letting criminals into their government? I can't think of a single example!

I pray it’s Shatterstar, it it’s probably Cullen.
    Oh goodness please not Cullen.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Take a closer look at that panel.

He is the only one trying to tell Rictor that he needs to watch his six.

Little dude is easily the preview MVP.
    You are absolutely right. Shogo is trying to warn Rictor.

Shogo is a star.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I love magic related stories...and I love Otherworld but this Coven is just annoying & uninteresting .... I would rather the Morgana storyline had gone on than the Coven storyline

Is she still stuck on slab or what?

I pray it’s Shatterstar, it it’s probably Cullen.
    Could be Shatterstar if he comes back from Mojoworld in X-Factor #9 tomorrow.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

She needs to show up and completely ruin all of those Coven shits.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    She needs to show up and completely ruin all of those Coven shits.
    Cheers to that, sibling. I vote for Betsy to take their heads off.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Oh goodness please not Cullen.
    Tini is writing so... Cullen already tried to put the moves on him once.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Krakoa needs better child care services cause there is no reason for Shogo to be at the function!
    "But you can't mean MY child!"
    My flag is bacon.