Default Post-snap Thanos vs Iron Man

Instead of the Avengers attacking Thanos in his garden in Endgame, it's Iron Man. Who wins?

Considering Thanos at his garden in Endgame was a limping, half-dead and half-burned shell of his former self, then Iron Man takes this easily.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

He also no longer had the stones, and didn't have the crazy helicopter sword. He's kinda screwed against Tony, with no way to deal with Tony's mobility.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member

Yeah so, this Thanos doesn't have any of his cool weapons or infinity stones and he's basically crippled on one side of his body.

Unless this is Tony in the same condition as when Captain Marvel brought him back to earth I don't think it's a very fair fight.

And if it is Tony in that condition then they'll just be arguing about Thanos' actions.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I mean this is still a Tony who could barely break Thanos' skin, right? I guess a ten count might be possible, but I don't see any evidence Tony can do him significant physical harm otherwise.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

On the other hand Thanos can't catch Tony. He probably can't even throw properly with his messed up motor control. So this becomes a waiting game. Either one of the combatants will talk asleep or Tony will run out of power. I don't think the latter is likely as unlimited energy was a bit of a plot point wasn't it? And there's nothing indicating Thanos doesn't need to sleep. In fact, the sunset/sunrise references he makes does allude to a conventional sleep cycle. I would need to rewatch to see if his little cottage had a bed.

Meanwhile, I think Tony probably has feats for pulling an all nighter working between his many movies. His suit can probably serve as an alarm clock to keep him awake, too, or even keep fighting on auto pilot with him asleep in it. So I think he's likely to outlast in this extremely boring fight.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I mean this is still a Tony who could barely break Thanos' skin, right? I guess a ten count might be possible, but I don't see any evidence Tony can do him significant physical harm otherwise.
    That was a healthy, resisting Thanos with 4 stones. This is an unarmed Thanos, partially crippled. Tony has his cool-ass tech, and the ability to make swords and stuff with it - I'd bet on him being able to win this. Thanos cannot catch Tony at all.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Is there any evidence whatsoever that Thanos' physical durability is diminished without the infinity stones? They had clear visual effects when they were doing things and no evidence of any kind of passive stat upgrade. In fact we know for a fact that the infinity stones were probably constantly doing him harm, so if anything his body should be in better shape without them. Like a team with Captain Marvel and Thor still had to catch him by surprise and use Stormbreaker to cut off his head.

As far as sleeping goes, again, not sure it really matters because Tony just doesn't have the feats for outputting enough damage to do more than wake Thanos up. Because this takes place on a planet with water and food, Tony might be able to use guerilla tactics to harass Thanos until he just dies from some combination of starvation, exhaustion, and dehydration. But it's not going to be from actually being able to do physical damage. For that matter, his nanosuit doesn't seem to have an unlimited capacity to just matter convert whatever it needs, so good bet he runs out of ammunition and has to take to either throwing things or going to melee eventually.

Thanos is badly injured, but I don't see the injury particularly lowering his durability in a way that's meaningful here because Tony is so so so far beneath being able to hurt him in the first place. I'd buy the argument about Thanos' injury if he'd been anywhere close to meaningfully wounding the guy, but he wasn't at all. He might as well have been trying to chisel down a mountain with a spoon. He'd have to be a completely different physical entity for things to have changed so much that Tony could now fight him and have a chance at winning (the guerilla starvation strategy aside)

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Is there any evidence whatsoever that Thanos' physical durability is diminished without the infinity stones? They had clear visual effects when they were doing things and no evidence of any kind of passive stat upgrade. In fact we know for a fact that the infinity stones were probably constantly doing him harm, so if anything his body should be in better shape without them. Like a team with Captain Marvel and Thor still had to catch him by surprise and use Stormbreaker to cut off his head.
    Not that I'm a good judge of these things but honestly I didn't notice any differences between Endgame Thanos (so, sans-Gems) and IW Thanos in terms of physicality. Yeah, the gems give off a pretty distinct glow whenever they're used so we know when IW Thanos *doesn't* use them in a fight, but he seemed to be just as formidable against the Big 3 as he was against the Hulk (I'd also argue that he likely knocked out the Hulk before the Hulk could reach the proper anger levels required to overcome Thanos, like the way Hulk nearly beat the Hulkbuster).

Yeah like the only passive effect we really know about from the gauntlet with stones is that it's basically trying to melt you with gamma rays to such an extent that the Hulk could barely stand up wearing it.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Ah, I did overlook that this wasn't in the arena. Yeah, I dunno then. Tony may be able to whip something up that kills him-- maybe something that attacks from the inside-- but I don't think he can win on brute force.

Eh, his feats for building things without a billion dollar lab are good, but I don't think THAT good. Even with the original suit, he had some military components. The main reason I think being outside the arena matters here is that it means he can potentially go the guerilla route, but to be honest, I don't think that has very high odds of working. He still has to harass Thanos basically frequently enough to stop Thanos sleeping while managing to get food/water/sleep for himself. And he has to be able to do it continuously. The nanosuit is good, but it's still basically just a bunch of assemblers in a box with clear limitations, so how long he can keep up a war is anyone's guess.