Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default The Death of the Golden Globes and awards ceremonies

This kind of ties into different threads and discussions we've had here about diversity in movies and the descent of awards ceremonies into irrelevance. Honestly, I've always found the way the Hollywood Foreign Press has voted to be extremely bizarre.

The Golden Globes has been marred by controversy for a while now primarily around the total absence of minority voters and some rather serious corruption (similar allegations have been levelled against the Grammys too).

It's so bad that megastars like Tom Cruise returned their awards and NBC refused to even broadcast the event (which pretty much has put an end to it).

What would you guys suggest replace the Golden Globe awards and perhaps awards ceremonies as a whole? Because the way things are going, the People's Choice awards could end up being the most relevant awards ceremony.

The Golden Globes have long been considered a bit of a joke in the industry since it's just a group of about 100 people. They managed to get in early before there were so many more awards shows and it was a good party for those invited, but that's it. Maybe some thought it influenced Oscar voting which is why it was taken seriously at all. Good for those who made a stink though to point out the organization's practices. (although part of me wouldn't be surprised if some people were just ticked at them for letting Ricky Gervais go off on them during the last one...)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-12-2021 at 04:54 AM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The Golden Globes are a completely meaningless award. The voters are a bunch of randos with no particular credentials at all.

They should go away.

The Golden Globes were always a joke. The voters were always people with no real merit. But now we learn they are racists and sexists. The only reason it was on is because they threw a good party and gave those celebrities a platform to promote their latest project. Since now being associated with these creeps will be seen as bad, the GG are dead. And we do not need another meaningless awards show to replace it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

I think the Golden Globes were considered silly but nevertheless regarded as worthwhile. Being silly, the celebrities could have fun at them and didn't have to be so formal as at the Oscars. Yet they took them seriously enough because they were all part of the machine--careers depended on them. People watched them because you got to see a lot of stars--both T.V. and film--in one room socializing at their tables. Viewers loved the glitz and glamour of those awards. And even though they were silly, with categories that made no sense, they were an important step toward the Oscar. They mattered because they could help or hurt a campaign. And they were used for advertising. People in the industry may have made jokes about them, but they still took them seriously knowing that millions of dollars were at stake.

Nor does their silly reputation take away from the fact that they were corrupt and an insidious part of the industry. I think that frivolity helped to disguise the harm.

I still think it's good to have a place where T.V. and movie stars get together and have fun but compete against each other for honours--with lots of jokes and a good host. The obvious answer is to bring back THE HOLLYWOOD SQUARES. Makes sure the host is funny and charming. Get top Hollywood stars from T.V. and movies. Find someone for the centre square that is likeable but has a sharp wit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think the Golden Globes were considered silly but nevertheless regarded as worthwhile. Being silly, the celebrities could have fun at them and didn't have to be so formal as at the Oscars. Yet they took them seriously enough because they were all part of the machine--careers depended on them. People watched them because you got to see a lot of stars--both T.V. and film--in one room socializing at their tables. Viewers loved the glitz and glamour of those awards. And even though they were silly, with categories that made no sense, they were an important step toward the Oscar. They mattered because they could help or hurt a campaign. And they were used for advertising. People in the industry may have made jokes about them, but they still took them seriously knowing that millions of dollars were at stake.

Nor does their silly reputation take away from the fact that they were corrupt and an insidious part of the industry. I think that frivolity helped to disguise the harm.

I still think it's good to have a place where T.V. and movie stars get together and have fun but compete against each other for honours--with lots of jokes and a good host. The obvious answer is to bring back THE HOLLYWOOD SQUARES. Makes sure the host is funny and charming. Get top Hollywood stars from T.V. and movies. Find someone for the centre square that is likeable but has a sharp wit.
    I wont say the Globes were silly. they are likely the second most important awards after the Oscars and they were the awards that usually kicks off awards season. golden globes, were first, then Grammys, then SAGs , BAFTAS and the round up been the Oscars. Also the globes used to be fair indictors of who would win the Oscars. so I cant say they were silly.

what I did like about the globes though was that it brought both the movies and tv world together and I preferred the dinner setting to the concert setting of the oscars, so the Globes was its own thing and own style.

I think they just need to get their act together, clear up their Emily in Paris corrupt controversy and rethink about diversity as long as they do get real POCs that know deeply about movies and tv from an artistic place and not just hire them to tick a box. they would be back one day.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-12-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I wont say the Globes were silly. they are likely the second most important awards after the Oscars and they were the awards that usually kicks off awards season. golden globes, were first, then Grammys, then SAGs , BAFTAS and the round up been the Oscars. Also the globes used to be fair indictors of who would win the Oscars. so I cant say they were silly.

what I did like about the globes though was that it brought both the movies and tv world together and I preferred the dinner setting to the concert setting of the oscars, so the Globes was its own thing and own style.

I think they just need to get their act together, clear up their Emily in Paris corrupt controversy and rethink about diversity as long as they do get real POCs that know deeply about movies and tv from an artistic place and not just hire them to tick a box. they would be back one day.
    I guess I was trying to say what you said, but I chose to use "silly" as a way of explaining why some say they were "a joke" when they weren't. The ceremony itself felt more relaxed and fun--so people could get silly at them. And the category selections seemed odd--so not always rational and thus silly. And the voting block didn't appear like the best jury for selecting winners--so again kind of silly. I think because of those elements, people believe they weren't taken seriously by the industry and were therefore "a joke," when I'd argue (as I did before) that they were taken seriously and not really a joke at all.

Niffleheim

If Awards are open to Studio campaigning and bribes then is it really impartial? Thank god for the awfulness of Emily In Paris and The Tourist opening ppl's eyes to the Golden Globes.

Or the Martian winning for the best comedy and musical lol Their categories for movies are awful.
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-12-2021 at 01:48 PM.

I consider Golden Globes to be secondary Oscars as Wolf Prizes to be secondary Nobel prizes.

The Golden Globes are younger and less prestigious than the Oscars.

Astonishing Member

I've actually thought the Golden Globes nominations and winner were usually more in-line with the mainstream audience. Occasionally, there is a terrible nomination or win, but for the most part they were more in line what what regular consumers would vote for. I guess in a sense they were regular consumer and that's why things were reflected.

But holy crap I can't believe how corrupt the whole thing sounded.

The main draw for my friends and me for Awards ceremonies has mostly been to cheer on underdogs, or to MST3K the entire show, starting from the Red Carpet. Great fun either way, but not really crucial, either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I consider Golden Globes to be secondary Oscars as Wolf Prizes to be secondary Nobel prizes.

The Golden Globes are younger and less prestigious than the Oscars.
    For me it was the Globes>>> SAGS>>> BAFTAS in terms of prestigious. Then there was Emmys but that was more part of a different setting.

Stars always turned up at the Globes than SAGS, not much for the Baftas. Anyway I will miss the globes, I remember recording it on VHS/VCR when I was much younger.
    It's funny to think this is now a diversity thing because one of my all time favourite moment at the Globes was when Halle Berry won for Introducing Dorathy Dandrige and would not stop crying not to mention how beautiful she looked. I really felt she earned this because she had to get a pay cut to do some scenes in the series, she felt were important to her as a black woman.

it was really a well earned award for her as a black woman because the series was centred around the racism Dandrige faced in Golden Age era of films as an actress

Something is off in hollywood. there were already actors wining some awards because they earned it, how they can mess it all up for the worse is strange.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-12-2021 at 02:57 PM.

Award shows are past their prime.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

all the major networks should cover the golden raspberry awards instead

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Award shows are past their prime.
    I will admit as a person who just loves the art of cinema. I loved watching the awards the movies were celebrated, yes it could be shallow with their 500, 000 gowns Versace dress and Armani suits but it was just part of glitz and glamor of Hollywood and I liked watching it.