Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

This is like if Batman was somehow beating on Darkseid and had him dead to rights, then Superman showed up and finished the fight, and people started complaining about how Superman shouldn't have been able to beat Darkseid while ignoring Batman's role.

And if there's one weapon Mojo should be afraid of, its the weapon that specifically kills sorcerers.

I'm trying to understand why it's so upsetting that Mojo be afraid of one of the most powerful and scariest mutants alive, but Dani and Karma get a free pass for scaring him and easily defeating him.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 05-14-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    No need. I think we can all agree that, due to the impending cancellation of the title, the rescue was rushed and just leave it at that.
    Agreed that it was rushed and I think it was smart for Leah to put Dani and Xi'an in there to disarm Mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    This is like if Batman was somehow beating on Darkseid and had him dead to rights, then Superman showed up and finished the fight, and people started complaining about how Superman shouldn't have been able to beat Darkseid while ignoring Batman's role.

And if there's one weapon Mojo should be afraid of, its the weapon that specifically kills sorcerers.

I'm trying to understand why it's so upsetting that Mojo be afraid of one of the most powerful and scariest mutants alive, but Dani and Karma get a free pass for scaring him and easily defeating him.
    Well said. It was an ambush team effort.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Exactly. Hell, the collective X-Men were, what? 10-0 against the guy all through the 90s? Even Spiral gave them a run for their money until she jumped ship. It wasn't until recently that he became a joke.

Another poster pointed out that it’s near impossible to do 50+ years of research, but Mojo’s appearances are fairly easy to pin down. I agree that there was no excuse to portraying him as some laughable cosplay despot.

“Scared of her rep.” LMFAO! What part of Mojo from the MojoVERSE you do not comprehend? The guy rules his own universe! He didn’t get that kind of power sitting on his fat ass eating Ben & Jerry’s all day. His power is leeched off of the viewers comprising his network and Shatterstar alone had trillions of followers. He would have been at the height of his power from all that intake. And we’re not even including his personal forces, the Imperial Protectorate, which slaughtered over 15 million of Longshot’s rebels “back in the day”. The guy was well-nigh impossible to get to and the few panels devoted to his submission were completely unbelievable.

But yeah, the mutant woman with the sword managed to do to Mojo what 20 years of X-Men couldn’t. Riiiight.
    You're overselling Mojo and underselling Magik. She's not just a mutant with a sword, she's one of the strongest mutant sorcerers on Krakoa and there are characters like Selene and Apocalypse included on that list. Mojo was never a god in his dimension, that's an exaggeration, he was just always just a high-level sorcerer that is hard to kill. Again, he got trounced in the 80s and he gets trounced now.

As for beating a team of X-Men, while I'd like to pretend that never happened just to make someone look cool or threatening...

Spider-Man fans certainly never let us forget... >_>

Characters grow stronger. Heck in the panel I just posted from Mr and Mrs X, Rogue comments that before she wouldn't have been able to absorb him before but its different now. Just because a writer has Mojo get duped doesn't mean they're ignoring his history, the guy has power but he was never smart with it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I hope Spiral can go back to being a fierce solo villain and never have to see Mojo again.
    Yes! In fact, a new Body Shoppe, fully associated and allied with Krakoa, offering discrete body modification services to a select clientele (special rates for mutants who want their mutation-derived looks modified!) could be a fun angle, with Spiral being Spiral and also offering some off-the-book Power-Broker-like services involving genetic tweaking and cybernetic enhancement...

“Scared of her rep.” LMFAO! What part of Mojo from the MojoVERSE you do not comprehend? The guy rules his own universe!
    So... just like Ilyanna, then? Who *also* rules her own entire dimension?

She might just be the perfect X-person to be taken seriously by Mojo.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-14-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Its not really all that important. I'm just not a big fan of Magik. I've never seen her do much actual 'sorcery' besides swing her sword around. I've always just been annoyed that she's treated like a big shot taking down demons and junk so easily and unimpressively. But that's just me and I fully admit I haven't read all of her appearances, so its quite possible she's done more complicated and impressive things in other places. I just could never get invested in 'that girl who looks like Emma, but angry and with a sword'

Mojo has been knocked around and made a fool of before, but the larger issue is just how rushed everything was to compensate for the cancellation. Both conflicts with Mojo and the Morrigan had "makes it easy!" type of solutions.

To learn that you only have two issues before cancellation (while already plotting this issue), but to produce this result nevertheless, is really admirable. A lesser writer would have just phoned it in and let plot threads hang. I also love that Leah brought in the New Mutants, and Excalibur to an extent, supported by Vita and Tini I’m sure. X-Factor going out swinging.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    To learn that you only have two issues before cancellation (while already plotting this issue), but to produce this result nevertheless, is really admirable. A lesser writer would have just phoned it in and let plot threads hang. I also love that Leah brought in the New Mutants, and Excalibur to an extent, supported by Vita and Tini I’m sure. X-Factor going out swinging.
    I am going to really miss the synergy and cameos between those three books. It gave Krakoa more sense of being an actual society.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Its not really all that important. I'm just not a big fan of Magik. I've never seen her do much actual 'sorcery' besides swing her sword around. I've always just been annoyed that she's treated like a big shot taking down demons and junk so easily and unimpressively. But that's just me and I fully admit I haven't read all of her appearances, so its quite possible she's done more complicated and impressive things in other places. I just could never get invested in 'that girl who looks like Emma, but angry and with a sword'

Mojo has been knocked around and made a fool of before, but the larger issue is just how rushed everything was to compensate for the cancellation. Both conflicts with Mojo and the Morrigan had "makes it easy!" type of solutions.
    I liked Magik a lot whan Bendis and Jeff Lemire were writing her. I think that she just became archetype of angry badass warrior woman and I lost the interest.
    I mostly see her swinging sword lately and not doinga lot of sorcery.

it was all too rushed, also I think it is let down see people who aren't from the cast saving the day

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This issue is another example of why I'm of two minds about Leah Williams' writing: there's a lot to like with her character work but her sense of storytelling can leave a lot to be desired and her attempts at comedy often make me feel like I'm reading a fan-fiction rather than a professional comic book. Bringing Kyle over the psychic plane to discuss dinner plans can be cute and funny, but it makes absolutely zero sense in the scenario the characters were in and felt totally forced.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post

She tends to use her sword because it's quicker than casting spells, but as someone who's trained under Belasco, an alternate version of Storm, and Dr. Strange she has a zillion spells, and again, it's one of the most powerful magical weapons in the entire Marvel universe. The fact that she has the soul sword at all is the result of her casting an absurdly powerful spell using her own life force and is proof of her power. Very few sorcerers in history are capable of creating a weapon like that or know how to do it.

Mighty Member

I thought X-factor 9 wasn't good I was trying to figure out what was going on

BANNED

Yikes, this was a hot mess. She threw in the whole kitchen sink for sure but none of it made sense. Why did Shatterstar have to kill the Morrigon while wearing a diaper? I can tell it was rushed but......whew.

I think this title lacks focus. I love the NXM cameos, but with two issues left, was it really necessary to involve all these other characters to resolve a plot point? It's weird how this book suddenly became about Siryn, Shatterstar and other guest stars when they're not even part of the main cast.
    I like them all, but one would expect them to focus on the actual team since the book only has two issues left.
    Hopefully the X-office don't give up on the team's concept, because X-factor could still be a successful book if given more of a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    Yikes, this was a hot mess. She threw in the whole kitchen sink for sure but none of it made sense. Why did Shatterstar have to kill the Morrigon while wearing a diaper? I can tell it was rushed but......whew.
    Are you being facetious about the diaper thing?
    Had you read the prior issues explaining his presence in Mojoworld?

Also, the announcement of the book's cancellation came while writing this issue, so she clearly made a conscious effort to resolve as many lingering plot points as possible -- and considering just how many there were and how little space she had, I'd say she did a solid job.

Astonishing Member

I'm really going to miss this book it's very rare to have a superhero comic this lgbtq friendly. Not to Mention I was really curious to see how Eyeboy's powers develop as well as Daken's characterization. I feel like another writer is going to revert him back to psychotic bisexual killer with daddy issues ugh.

Not to mention I really like how Leah was differentiating between Jean and Rachel's powerset by focusing on her chronoskiming which until this book I had no idea was a thing.