Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question: Do Rogue's powers stack?

I remember talking to a Rogue fan and he said "What makes Rogue really dangerous is the fact that she can stack abilities.

Obviously, she can combine abilities (like telepathy, super-strength, teleportation etc...) but does her stolen/borrowed abilities stack? Like if she touched Thor a Class 100 character, then touched Spider-Man a class 25+ character, would she be able to lift the max weight of Thor, plus an extra 25+ tons?

I always assumed the greater ability just overlapped the weaker one. Like using the mental powers of Artie then upgrading to Professor X.

In my 30+ years of reading comics have I misunderstood Rogue's abilities?
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I think Rogue's powers at least used to stack. I am not sure about current abilities.

For instance, when she first appeared, Rogue had the strength of Thor, Ms Marvel (Carol) and Captain America. She knocked out Vision with one punch. She easily tossed Wonder Man away into a dumpster after he fly into her with no affect.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I think Rogue's powers at least used to stack. I am not sure about current abilities.

For instance, when she first appeared, Rogue had the strength of Thor, Ms Marvel (Carol) and Captain America. She knocked out Vision with one punch. She easily tossed Wonder Man away into a dumpster after he fly into her with no affect.
    See, i don't know. I could contribute the tossing Wonder Man feat as just Thor's strength. Truthfully. I don't know...she went from 10 to 50 tons (Ms. Marvel) to max Human (Cap) to Class 100 (Thor)...I think.

Mighty Member

Did they maybe misuse “stacking”? She’s been able to absorb multiple powers to use them, so maybe that’s what they meant by stacking? Like if she absorbed Thor and then absorbed Spider-man, she would have Thor level strength and Spider-man’s spider powers, but I don’t think that ups her strength. I means she’s already a powerhouse with her normal stolen everyday strength. I think they meant stacking like when she’s absorbed Angel, X-23 and Nightcrawler with her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Did they maybe misuse “stacking”? She’s been able to absorb multiple powers to use them, so maybe that’s what they meant by stacking? Like if she absorbed Thor and then absorbed Spider-man, she would have Thor level strength and Spider-man’s spider powers, but I don’t think that ups her strength. I means she’s already a powerhouse with her normal stolen everyday strength. I think they meant stacking like when she’s absorbed Angel, X-23 and Nightcrawler with her own.
    No, it was "Stacking" cause I remember thinking how does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    See, i don't know. I could contribute the tossing Wonder Man feat as just Thor's strength. Truthfully. I don't know...she went from 10 to 50 tons (Ms. Marvel) to max Human (Cap) to Class 100 (Thor)...I think.
    Rogue makes note of all of the super-human strength from the 3 absorbed characters and states Wonder Man doesn't have a chance because of that.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Rogue makes note of all of the super-human strength from the 3 absorbed characters and states Wonder Man doesn't have a chance because of that.
    Exactly. It’s clear in the issue that she has the strength and invulnerability of Carol + Thor.

She also can’t absorb Simon’s abilities but now can, so things can change, I guess.

Mighty Member

No, it was "Stacking" cause I remember thinking how does that work?
    I was saying that they misused stacking in describing what she’s doing, not that they didn’t say stacking

I've always understood it that she does stack, she'd adding to her strength. That's why she absorbed Colossus a lot in the 80s before hard battles.

Yea CC makes it clear she's augmenting or stacking her strength in addition to her own when she absorbs powers she already has.

Wait I just realized that Rogue fan was probably me and you want confirmation from other less biased people lol sorry. xD
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 05-25-2021 at 12:26 AM.

I'm thinking back to contest of champions 2.where Rogue absorbs all the winners. There she was more about using the powers in concert with each other then stacking them.

A point of that was also how dangerous she is without any morale restraint.

Perhaps they do stack but the question is how many can she hold on to at the same time. Otherwise she should just have absorbed all the strength users and gotten 1000+ strength.

Sometimes she has trouble holding powers because they come from a God. Sometimes she changes physical appearance, sometimes not.

Guys, I dont think she stacks abilities. Looking at her first appearance there doesn't seem to be any proof of her strength being greater than what a non-holding back Thor could do. I mean really...what does Ms. Marvel (10 to 50 tons) or Cap (max human) strength level gonna add when you have the strength of Thor who can lift thousands, if not millions of tons.

If she is stacking, I'm fine with that. I'm just not sure how you know, it's not just a upgrade.

Let's use 80's Thing level strength of 85 tons. If 80's Rogue who could lift 50 tons touched the Thing would her strength be increased to 85 tons or 135 tons?
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 05-25-2021 at 06:40 AM.

I believe she stacks. She stacked or augmented her strength a couple of years ago in UA. When she absorbed all the heroes to help stop a celestial from stepping on the earth

Guys, I dont think she stacks abilities. Looking at her first appearance there doesn't seem to be any proof of her strength being greater than what a non-holding back Thor could do. I mean really...what does Ms. Marvel (10 to 50 tons) or Cap (max human) strength level gonna add when you have the strength of Thor who can lift thousands, if not millions of tons.

If she is stacking, I'm fine with that. I'm just not sure how you know, it's not just a upgrade.
    Ms Marvel (Carol) was not 10 to 50 tons back then, she was "at least 50 tons" according to Marvel. While Carol probably did go up a bit higher later, Rogue got at least 50 tons of strength from her.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I've always understood it that she does stack, she'd adding to her strength. That's why she absorbed Colossus a lot in the 80s before hard battles.

Yea CC makes it clear she's augmenting or stacking her strength in addition to her own when she absorbs powers she already has.

Wait I just realized that Rogue fan was probably me and you want confirmation from other less biased people lol sorry. xD
    This is proof that she stacks abilities straight from her/her creator's mouth.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

She literally says it on panel. Someone even went to the effort to post the proof. If you didn't want an answer, why did you bother to ask the question?