Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    So where did this idea of Monet being a business mogul come from?
    Well her father used to be the ceo of a conglomerate before he became ambassador. I think it's not so much as being a mogul and more like her using her financial and socio-economical privileges to do good.
    Last edited by frostedemma; 05-14-2021 at 07:39 AM.

I'm assuming Madrox is leaning on his experience as a lab assistant to Moira, who was a geneticist.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

The flattest #1 I think I've ever read. Even if they're usually not good books, they have a hook or some "excitement." Nothing in here was particularly exciting. I don't care about a corporate HQ that's also a spaceship - it kind of gets lost in the noise of the islands, Emma's space ship, the Marauder, the Peak, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

I honestly think the art should've been Greg Land. You want a bunch of smiling talking heads in sharp business attire and "exciting" business meetings? Land is your artist.

I'm also not convinced of the legal angle, but these are superhero comics, so.

It's old hat to be down on a Tini Howard X-Book at this point, but it can't really be helped. Maybe this book can turn around before it ends, but I dunno - Excalibur says otherwise.

I maintain my position that the X-Chat is actually bad for the books.

I've reread the comic several more times now. I'm not seeing some of the problems that other readers are having.
    I don't find the dialogue to be over used or to verbose. I feel that it get's the job done as it needs to.

I know that some people are upset because they don't want to see Monet and Angel in a relationship togather, but this comic really didn't feel like it was going in that direction. I thought that the comic was setting them up to be more as rivals. Could be wrong of course.

Edit: There is even one panel that shows Angel flying by Penance to escape the mercenaries while Penance's claws are out. The claws almost look like they are attacking Angel. I don't know what else they could be doing. Perhaps that is the art forshadowing something. Or perhaps I am reading to much into the scene.

I understand how some readers were upset that the comic didn't do a lot to set up the premise in this issue.
    In my opinion there, the problem is that the comic was largely set up in the Empyre: X-Men miniseries. That happened over a year now, I believe. So I can understand how readers would feel that they are walking into the middle of a story and not the beginning of one.

I'm not a fan of the silver age style flying island, but I still don't see how it is any more goofy than the things that the X-Men are currently using or have used since the end of the Morrison run. It's not my cup of tea, but I don't find it to be out of place with the rest of the line.

Those are are just my opinions of course.
    And, I still really enjoyed this comic, It was my favorite this week. I hope that it can last longer than twelve issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

Definitely need a better villain than Guy I've Forgotten Almost Everything About -- Glasses.

Think we'll see already-established businesses like Alchemax or Roxxon or the one from All-New X-Factor?

-Pav, who's ambivalent about Layla Miller's return...
    I definitely agree that the villains need to be better. Especially for a first issue. At the very least, the book could have teased the use of another villain.

I would like to see Alchemex. The company deals in pharmaceuticals. And Liz Osborn was shown being able to use Alchemex to help Eddie Brock control Venom. I would think that Monet and Angel would be interested in that.

Edit: Seeing the company from all New X-Factor reappear would also be nice. It was namechecked in Empyre: X-Men, so maybe it will appear. Serval Industries is the name I believe.

Not ambivalent about Layla though. I definitely want to see her return.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy! View Post
    I'm assuming Madrox is leaning on his experience as a lab assistant to Moira, who was a geneticist.
    That is how I take it, yes.
    Last edited by Thievery; 05-14-2021 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling and additional comments. I'm sure that I have still bungled some of the speling

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Well her father used to be the ceo of a conglomerate before he became ambassador. I think it's not so much as being a mogul and more like her using her financial and socio-economical privileges to do good.
    Sorry, I left this out of my last post by mistake.

I don't see the problem with Monet being able to run a business. She has some education from Emma, and she is a genius.
    I don't think that it is far fetched that she could quickly pick up on how to run a company given her intelligence.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about Madrox being there.

I love the character but just don't see him fitting in a Corporate environment like that. Or running a research lab (?)
    It could work if they contrasted research lab Madrox with let's say radical activist Madrox. I could imagine an army of hippie Madroxes protesting X-Corp, lol. Maybe have main Madrox laughing at both groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy! View Post
    Madrox has proven that he knows all kinds of skills due to sending his dupes out into the world. At this point, we shouldn't be surprised at any particular skill or talent he displays.

-Pav, who wonders what Father John Maddox is up to these days...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I really dont see how. In the era just before HOX, we had the US trying to pass anti-deportion laws against mutants and they did pass the vaccine. We saw Gen. Callahan actively working against mutants and using his position as a high ranking American operative to do so. This is one of the main reasons why the mutants fled to Krakoa; bc the USA failed to protect them and was activey trying to destroy them. Most of the anti-mutant stuff we saw in the books leading up to that was from the US, not other countries
    Agreed. In my opinion that was the darkest time for mutants as far as the American government goes. They had to hide in the basement of a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I don't see the problem with Monet being able to run a business. She has some education from Emma, and she is a genius.
    I don't think that it is far fetched that she could quickly pick up on how to run a company given her intelligence.
    And for me it's also the passion Monet is displaying for the mutant cause. This is clearly very important to her and she's the type to make things happen when she wants to.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed. In my opinion that was the darkest time for mutants as far as the American government goes. They had to hide in the basement of a bar.

And for me it's also the passion Monet is displaying for the mutant cause. This is clearly very important to her and she's the type to make things happen when she wants to.
    She is down for the mutant cause, I agree. But, the comic did hint at the idea that Monet was getting some form of pleasure from beating the rival corporations, and wasn't doing this just for altruistic reasons. She even treats Jamie's duplicates as dispossable. That could be Penance's influence, though.

I pointed out earlier that it isn't impossible for Monet to learn how to run a business company given her genius level intelligence. But, I should have pointed out that she does seem to still be learning on the job. She does seem to have blown the mission by allowing the Savage Land Plant factory to be destroyed along with all of the knowledge that Madrox's dupes had. Flying by the seat of her pants is how Angel puts it in the issue. I could be wrong though, and Monet really is meant to have succeeded in her plan.

She is down for the mutant cause, I agree. But, the comic did hint at the idea that Monet was getting some form of pleasure from beating the rival corporations, and wasn't doing this just for altruistic reasons. She even treats Jamie's duplicates as dispossable. That could be Penance's influence, though.

I pointed out earlier that it isn't impossible for Monet to learn how to run a business company given her genius level intelligence. But, I should have pointed out that she does seem to still be learning on the job. She does seem to have blown the mission by allowing the Savage Land Plant factory to be destroyed along with all of the knowledge that Madrox's dupes had. Flying by the seat of her pants is how Angel puts it in the issue. I could be wrong though, and Monet really is meant to have succeeded in her plan.
    You're exactly right from my view. She's a bit reckless in her pace and I find that very intriguing.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Soooo I loved the character moments even if I didn't have an the background info I woulda liked but that's why I'm coming back for issue 2!!!
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    She uses the form which I am guessing is voluntary & involuntary. In comes on when she gets excited, but I don't think she can't summon it at will.

They haven't appeared to be 2 separate beings given Monet still talks & functions as she was before in said form. But Lord knows with her. Not like retcons haven't defined her for the longest.
    I think part of the confusion was that M talked about Penance in the third person as if she was a seperate entity

A fantastic issue. Tini’s interpretation of M and Warren really intrigues me. I feel like she took those characters, updated them, and combined them with people at my firm. I look forward to seeing someone actually using the characters after what feels like years.

Ultimate Member

Edit: There is even one panel that shows Angel flying by Penance to escape the mercenaries while Penance's claws are out. The claws almost look like they are attacking Angel. I don't know what else they could be doing. Perhaps that is the art forshadowing something. Or perhaps I am reading to much into the scene.
    I did wonder what was up with that scene. Was she trying to slash at the missiles coming at Warren with her Penance claws? Who knows. They did all mysteriously miss the floating HQ anyway, maybe she shot her claws at them, or used TK, or Trinary did something?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Just finished reading the first issue. Yeah, this was... not even terrible, but probably terribly uninteresting? I'd say it was an average comic book story, except it was supposed to be the first issue of a new series and sell me on the book and hook me enough to read another issue, and at that it was pretty poor.

I also think doing a series about big corporations fighting in the new Krakoa era is something that sounds good on paper and makes the book sound oh so clever and sophisticated, except it needs big writing chops to make it interesting - Hickman might certainly have pulled it off, and Joe Casey also did some very nice work with the concept back with Wildcats 3.0, but based on Excalibur and this first X-Corp issue, Tini Howard doesn't seem terribly well-suited for it.