Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I think Howard did a pretty good job with the book... much better than her work in Excalibur. BUT like Excalibur the writing is disjointed and gets confusing when the art isn't properly paced with it. And yeah, the art is a problem. This kind of corporate wheeling and dealing series needs a more streamlined/efficient artist like David Aja... who incidentally is doing the covers. Too bad, but it seems like the X-Books can only land a few superstar artists at a time.

Am I the only one who is slightly disappointed that the thread title is just a typo, and there isn't actually a book about a mutant police officer called X-Cop?

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    Am I the only one who is slightly disappointed that the thread title is just a typo, and there isn't actually a book about a mutant police officer called X-Cop?
    Bishop solo title....

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This was kind of all over the place. The beginning felt somehow both manic and dull with all the talk of getting to work and globe hopping, but nothing of substance actually happening. It took a while to get to the intriguing corporate backstabbing plot, which had the potential to be good, but it was resolved so poorly. I don't understand how having some pr about a flying island HQ (like some silver age super villain, dumb) somehow makes it okay that some ******* bombed the Savage Land facilities. And right now it seems like there are no consequences for the corporate guy who blew up the Savage Land, because the issue ended so abruptly. Warren was boring. Trinary was sort of interesting. Madrox didn't seem like Madrox.

I don't like the way Howard is approaching Monet. First, while she absolutely has a bit of a temper, she never struck me as having barely controllable rage like she was depicted with here. I hate how Howard made the Penance form a Hulk like condition. The form was added as an upgrade during resurrection, it doesn't work as such if Monet can hardly keep it in check.

I don't care for Foche's art. The faces are just so often odd looking and disconnected to whatever emotion the character is supposed to be showing in a way that reminds me of Greg Land. There was also that bit near the climax where Monet's claws "whooshed" by a passing Angel, and I'm not sure what was supposed to be going on there.

it was a decent story, however i feel like the book just isn't doing enough to grab my attention I found it difficult at times to continue the issue
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I don't understand how having some pr about a flying island HQ (like some silver age super villain, dumb) somehow makes it okay that some ******* bombed the Savage Land facilities.
    That was so weird. It felt so weird to see that Monet and Warren were happy with how things were resolved.
    Last edited by johnnysv75; 05-12-2021 at 02:42 PM.

Yeah I thought another book with a different cast and mission would endear me to Tini's writing.

Astonishing Member

I thought Hellfire handled the growing and distribution of the flowers?

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I thought Hellfire handled the growing and distribution of the flowers?
    Hellfire handles the distribution but it seems there are multiple labs converting the flowers to the medicine.

The mutants were likely going to lose the Savage Land lab through the threatened UN sanction anyway. This way it looks like an evil human messing with Krakoa again.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I'm always a little surprised when X-Men readers complain about there being to much dialogue in a comic. Claremont always stuffed his comics with a lot of dialogue. And, many of the writers that came after him imitated his verbose style.

Not that your wrong. Many X-Men comics are to verbose.

Perhaps Howard felt the need to make sure that things were given long explanations because a big criticism of her Excalibur work that I have noticed is that people get confused as to what is going on and can't always understand the characters' motivations or personalities. I disagree with that criticism.

I'm not trying to criticize your post, so please don't take offense at my response.
    Yeah, Claremont was wordy, but he was mostly character driven. When he was at the top of his game he made me feel like I knew the X-Men. The wordy speech/thought bubbles gave me insight to the characters. Tini Howard is more fact driven. Most of the words are there to give me lots and lots of info - too much info at times. Hickman sometimes suffer from this as well, especially the issues leading up to X of Swords, but at least his stories are coherent - Howard is all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
    Love seeing Jamie though I'm alarmed that we still haven't seen Layla at all on Krakoa. Are they even still married?
    I hope she knows that Jamie somehow finds doing science by himselves in the Savage Land more fulfilling than their marriage and child. What an odd line for Jamie to say.

I found this issue disappointing. I didn't dislike it, but I expected more than I got.

To put it another way, with Claremont it often felt like characters actually speaking and conversing with each other. With Tini and Hickman it can feels like reciting bullet points off a Wikipedia page.

I was confused by the recap because I come from a legal background, and in legal writing when you shorten names to stuff like JP you do it in reference to the last thing with JP that was said. It was my mistake and it confuses me all the time with stuff people post online.

But the story itself is confusing. So Warren and Monet are now Diet Hulks, their island is flying now for some reason, and one of their plants has been blown up but its a good thing? Calling the island a silver age villain lair is right on the money. I can't imagine other countries being thrilled by this floating around the world. And if it stays put, then what was even the point? I'm just very confused.

Fantastic Member

Yeah if X-Factor gets cancelled at 9 and it's way better than this .... no way this lasts long.

The art is a major drawback. Just did not look good.

As far as new titles Hellions, SWORD and Way of X beat this in every way and were actually interesting while looking good.

This just was dull. Didn't expect much based on Excalibur but this was really boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    Yeah if X-Factor gets cancelled at 9 and it's way better than this .... no way this lasts long.

The art is a major drawback. Just did not look good.

As far as new titles Hellions, SWORD and Way of X beat this in every way and were actually interesting while looking good.

This just was dull. Didn't expect much based on Excalibur but this was really boring.
    X-factor isn't better than this. There is info that this might be a mini

I think people comparing x-facor to Excalibur and this book are losing the point. It's like comparing Liefeld art with Greg land.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    To put it another way, with Claremont it often felt like characters actually speaking and conversing with each other. With Tini and Hickman it can feels like reciting bullet points off a Wikipedia page.

I was confused by the recap because I come from a legal background, and in legal writing when you shorten names to stuff like JP you do it in reference to the last thing with JP that was said. It was my mistake and it confuses me all the time with stuff people post online.

But the story itself is confusing. So Warren and Monet are now Diet Hulks, their island is flying now for some reason, and one of their plants has been blown up but its a good thing? Calling the island a silver age villain lair is right on the money. I can't imagine other countries being thrilled by this floating around the world. And if it stays put, then what was even the point? I'm just very confused.
    Warren has been a Hulk like character for over a decade now. The only time that he wasn't Hulk-like during that period of time was when Bunn wrote the character. And even then there are readers who believe that the Archangel personality was just waiting under the surface.

I understand your point about how the ship flying could seem silver age.

I thought that it was just a floating ship though, and the island wasn't part of it.

However, I don't see how the ship can be seen as overly silver age goofy compared to some of the other things that the X-Men have used recently. The Marauders use a pirate ship to get around. A goofy silver idea I think. I doubt if many governments are happy about that. During Carey's X-Men run, the X-Men used a flying ship also. It looked like an old Spanish warship called the Conqistidor if I remember correctly. I haven't noticed to many complaints about that during the time that I have posted on this forum. Maybe they did at the time and I just don't realize it.

Heck, even the school that the X-Men used in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men comic looked like a goofy piece of silver age nonsense.

Now I'm not saying that I entirely disagree with you. Flying ships, pirate ship headquarters, and the silly school aren't the type of things that I would associate with the X-Men or are what make them interesting or great to me. They do seem like the kind of thing that I dislike about a lot of mainstream superhero comics