Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Howard has a lot of interesting and even amazing ideas, but she doesn't have the writing skills to express them well enough. For her story, I often feel uncomfortable in the process of reading it, and only when I remember the information after reading it, can I get happy.

And she writes very seriously, which is a commendable thing.

Overall, Howard's writing is above average for Marvel's current writers. At least I won't feel like I wasted my time after reading her books.

Mighty Member

Since I didn’t pick this up, I’m confused. The island in the preview is now floating? There’s a part me of that wants to buy it to read it, but another part of me doesn’t want to waste more money on Tini. I buy Excalibur every month and that’s enough of my money to go towards Tini for her awful writing. I don’t get how the plant in the savage land being bombed and a floating island is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    Yeah if X-Factor gets cancelled at 9 and it's way better than this .... no way this lasts long.

The art is a major drawback. Just did not look good.

As far as new titles Hellions, SWORD and Way of X beat this in every way and were actually interesting while looking good.

This just was dull. Didn't expect much based on Excalibur but this was really boring.
    I agree that Hellions is better than this. Way of X is about the same in quality in my opinion. I don't read Sword just because I'm not fond of outer space stories outside of being able to read the occasional storyline, so my opinion is not worth anything on that comic.

There is no way that I would call X-Factor better than this, however. I didn't care for the art. Daken's redemption story felt forced and unearned. The stories weren't allowed to finish before another storyline began. The best characters by far were Polaris, Kyle, Northstar, and Prodigy. The rest weren't all that interesting. And the less said about that Amazing Baby creature the better.
    I guess that this post must make it sound as if I hated X-Factor. I didn't. I just found it to be very average with some below average parts sprinkled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    X-factor isn't better than this. There is info that this might be a mini

I think people comparing x-facor to Excalibur and this book are losing the point. It's like comparing Liefeld art with Greg land.

The comic is definitely meant to be an ongoing.

Now how long it will last is up in the air. I'm going to guess that it makes it to issue twelve.

I think that a big problem that X-Corp, X-Factor, Children of the Atom, and Way of X have is that they were launched after the buzz from HoX and PoX died down. They may have had a better chance if they launched while the X-Line was still hot.
    Last edited by Thievery; 05-12-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Since I didn’t pick this up, I’m confused. The island in the preview is now floating? There’s a part me of that wants to buy it to read it, but another part of me doesn’t want to waste more money on Tini. I buy Excalibur every month and that’s enough of my money to go towards Tini for her awful writing. I don’t get how the plant in the savage land being bombed and a floating island is good.
    I think the idea is suppose to be look how big it is that the company itself is hovering in space. While the bigger tech talk is cashing in on private flights to space if you work for x corp your already ahead if that. I mean I get it objectively and I see it, but it didn't land for me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

People complaining about having too much dialogue must not be a big fan of comics written in the 20th century since the dialogue was always paragraphs of speech bubbles with multiple text box per panel.

I was willing to give the art a chance but it feels very flat and one dimensional, like medieval paintings.

I like that this first issue didn't have the usual format of comics with the team getting together, the middle issue have actions and fun dialogue and the very last page ending with a cliffhanger to get readers to pick up the second issue. Monet characterisation was good at the start and the end, but at the middle it did worry me how Monet temper is apparently so short it causes her to shift into her penance form without any control. Monet temper is usually only this high when she's pushing herself too much and there's something big going on in her life (like when she died and came back, when mutants were dying from the terrigen cloud and healers were bring hunted and when emplate was possessing her again). I'm guessing the launch of x-corp had her stressed but still, we've seen Monet mature and learn to deal with her emotions without taking it out on others. So this feels a little bit like regression but it is only the first issue.

Also it's funny seeing some saying that marauders already deals with distribution of the flowers so what's different in this book when marauders took x-corp original mission in the first place (saving mutants around the globe with the rising global anti-mutants sentiments and offering them sanctuary).

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I think that a big problem that X-Corp, X-Factor, Children of the Atom, and Way of X have is that they were launched after the buzz from HoX and PoX died down. They may have had a better chance if they launched while the X-Line was still hot.
    They're also launched with scraps left for big characters. The X-editors clearly needed to make a spreadsheet with all of their characters and all the books they want to sell so that each one can have a big draw. This 5th board member needs to have our jaws on the floor.

I'm not so familiar with Monet's history between Bunncanny and Gen X so I defer to others that know her character better. But in a way I saw her temper control issues as a display of how important this mission is to her and how passionate she is. She was moving so fast throughout the issue that I wouldn't be surprised if we get an arc where she completely burns out.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think the idea is suppose to be look how big it is that the company itself is hovering in space. While the bigger tech talk is cashing in on private flights to space if you work for x corp your already ahead if that. I mean I get it objectively and I see it, but it didn't land for me.
    I’m gonna pass. I’m curious, but I don’t really want to invest. If Monet isn’t being written well, then it will be a pass. I feel like she’s setting it up to be Monet not being able to control her anger and transformation and Warren will help her and it will turn into a relationship. Yawn. I really wish there were better writers being brought to the X-books and executing their ideas. Tini and Leah haven’t killed it, IMO (though I think Leah had an idea of where she really want to go with X-factor). There’s a part of me that wants to say give Vita Excalibur and New Mutants and give Zeb Hellions and this book. I think the Hellions doing some dirty work for X-Corp would be interesting and it would kind of give Sinister some access to things he shouldn’t.

I try not to comment when I don't have nice things to say, but yeah I was kinda bored. Idk why everyone was gagged when the island was flying as though Helicarriers don't exist and as though whole cities haven't been propped up in the sky before in the MU.

I do think Tini is improving as a writer based on this and her more recent Excalibur issues, but I'm not sure I want to stick around as she learns on the job. I think this issue would have benefitted from a villain tease or Trinary discovering some big Krakoan secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    They're also launched with scraps left for big characters. The X-editors clearly needed to make a spreadsheet with all of their characters and all the books they want to sell so that each one can have a big draw. This 5th board member needs to have our jaws on the floor.
    I don't think that I agree with you that the characters that are part of these comics casts are a bunch of scraps.

Archangel, Nightcrawler, Polaris, Rachel and Northstar, have been longtime members of the X-Men and have fairly solid fanbases. Monet has been an X-Man for close to a decade now as well. Everyone's mileage may vary though.

Pixie, Prodigy, and Madrox may not be as big as some of the others, but they kind of have cult followings.

The characters from Children of the Atom are what they are: new characters. Some people like new characters, some hate them and wont give them a chance no matter what. For myself, I find them to be pretty solid new characters even if their comic isn't my favorite. It's still well above average. I would still recommend them to readers who like teen characters.

I agree that the fifth board member of X-Corp needs to be fairly spectacular. There is no reason to keep the other member as some kind of mystery unless the character is coming over from a cancelled comic.
    Earlier in this thread I guessed that the fifth board member could be Sunspot. Thinking it over, I think that that was clearly a bad guess. Sunspot was one of the characters that the fans could vote for in the X-Men election. I doubt if the X-office would put a cast member for a new comic as an option.
    Last edited by Thievery; 05-12-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    People complaining about having too much dialogue must not be a big fan of comics written in the 20th century since the dialogue was always paragraphs of speech bubbles with multiple text box per panel.
    The difference between Claremont and Howard’s wordiness has actually been covered in this very thread.

I don't think that I agree with you that the characters that are part of these comics casts are a bunch of scraps.

Archangel, Nightcrawler, Polaris, Rachel and Northstar, have been longtime members of the X-Men and have fairly solid fanbases. Monet has been an X-Man for close to a decade now as well. Everyone's mileage may vary though.

Pixie, Prodigy, and Madrox may not be as big as some of the others, but they kind of have cult followings.

The characters from Children of the Atom are what they are: new characters. Some people like new characters, some hate them and wont give them a chance no matter what. For myself, I find them to be pretty solid new characters even their comic isn't my favorite. I would still recommend them to readers who like teen characters.

I agree that the fifth board member of X-Corp needs to be fairly spectacular. There is no reason to keep the other member as some kind of mystery unless the character is coming over from a cancled comic.
    Earlier in this thread I guessed that the fifth board member could be Sunspot. Thinking it over, I think that that was clearly a bad guess. Sunspot was one of the characters that the fans could vote for in the X-Men election. I doubt if the X-office would put a cast member for a new comic as an option.
    Let me rephrase because I love almost all of the characters you mentioned and did not mean to imply that they don't have quality stories to tell. I also should have clarified that I wasn't referring to CoTA cause that's a unique cast.

It's not that Archangel, Nightcrawler, and Polaris don't have strong fan bases but they have to do a lot of the heavy lifting for their respective titles. Whereas Marauders and Excalibur each got 5 characters with the same or higher levels of popularity as them.

Regarding Sunspot, maybe that's why they left the reveal up in the air in case he got chosen. People have been speculating that Banshee is about to join Marauders so those characters are definitely back on the table.

Not a bad issue, but not terribly exciting either.
    It didn't help that the biggest twist (the flying island) is kind of a dumb idea? I don't get the purpose of moving the entire HQ when all mutants can go basically anywhere they want at any time. Doesn't seem very practical or efficient to move an island around so they can rescue a colleague that can fly?
    The biggest disappointment to me is the art, thought. It felt so lifeless at times. Like we were following a bunch of mannequins around. The artist's take on M's Penance form is especially bad

I hope the book gets better because I do like the concept and the little we've seen of the cast, but I don't see how editors would think this issue would be enough to set up a new series for success.

Warren has been a Hulk like character for over a decade now. The only time that he wasn't Hulk-like during that period of time was when Bunn wrote the character. And even then there are readers who believe that the Archangel personality was just waiting under the surface.

I understand your point about how the ship flying could seem silver age.

I thought that it was just a floating ship though, and the island wasn't part of it.

However, I don't see how the ship can be seen as overly silver age goofy compared to some of the other things that the X-Men have used recently. The Marauders use a pirate ship to get around. A goofy silver idea I think. I doubt if many governments are happy about that. During Carey's X-Men run, the X-Men used a flying ship also. It looked like an old Spanish warship called the Conqistidor if I remember correctly. I haven't noticed to many complaints about that during the time that I have posted on this forum. Maybe they did at the time and I just don't realize it.

Heck, even the school that the X-Men used in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men comic looked like a goofy piece of silver age nonsense.

Now I'm not saying that I entirely disagree with you. Flying ships, pirate ship headquarters, and the silly school aren't the type of things that I would associate with the X-Men or are what make them interesting or great to me. They do seem like the kind of thing that I dislike about a lot of mainstream superhero comics
    I understand that that's been a thing with Warren, but it still felt weird in a funny way that both of the people in charge of their high-stress financial stuff are in danger of, well, Hulking out if they get too stressed. I'm still not sure what exactly the point of X-Corp is and why it even needs to be a book.

I make a point about the silver age weirdness because this entire relaunch was styled as a super serious political/racial/sci-fi thing. The X-men have their own country and are not taking **** from anybody and this nation will be taken seriously unlike the other nations they've tried! And when I'm in that kind of headspace, I'm like "How the hell do they think floating giant chunks of landmass over other countries will go down?" Its hard to be both a high stakes political and racial thriller and have silly moments like this.

The floating island just isn't impressive. Basically anyone could do it with the level of tech in Marvel, and there's just not much point to it.

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

Loved this one. I guess I'm still at the point where I appreciate the current X-Men run as a whole. There are so many plot threads and dimensions to explore given the status quo, ie. the founding of a nation, and I'm all for realpolitik and corporate drama. This kind of reminded me of X-Men #4.