Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I understand that that's been a thing with Warren, but it still felt weird in a funny way that both of the people in charge of their high-stress financial stuff are in danger of, well, Hulking out if they get too stressed. I'm still not sure what exactly the point of X-Corp is and why it even needs to be a book.

I make a point about the silver age weirdness because this entire relaunch was styled as a super serious political/racial/sci-fi thing. The X-men have their own country and are not taking **** from anybody and this nation will be taken seriously unlike the other nations they've tried! And when I'm in that kind of headspace, I'm like "How the hell do they think floating giant chunks of landmass over other countries will go down?" Its hard to be both a high stakes political and racial thriller and have silly moments like this.

The floating island just isn't impressive. Basically anyone could do it with the level of tech in Marvel, and there's just not much point to it.
    The gates already are a huge problem, then they come with a floating island? And they float it on a country that is a enemy. That could be considered a act of war

seems like krakoa skipped any class on diplomacy and international law.

Mighty Member

Not totally sold on how Monet was handled, but willing to wait. The floating island was also a bit anticlimactic but the worst part was the art.

I'll keep reading but sensing the writer might not nail it.

This book, whether it's well or badly written, will only last 10-12 issues.

A lot of posters act like a book only lasting that long is a huge shock when it's actually pretty standard these days for the non-main books of the big franchises. Following that logic we'd only have Uncanny, XMEN and Wolverine as books. No other concept could be tried.

I'm not the biggest fan of Tini Howard's contribution to the Krakoa era. I just don't click with her writing style.

But she got points for including Wind Dancer even for a brief cameo.

Mighty Member

When I read reviews from sites about Tini’s work, I’m wondering if they’re reading the same thing we are. Like they stan her writing. Uh, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    When I read reviews from sites about Tini’s work, I’m wondering if they’re reading the same thing we are. Like they stan her writing. Uh, no.
    Not all reviews are positive. I found some pretty good about the problems on this first issue

some sites are always giving 9 and higher all the time to books from big two.

Monet is histerical on this first issue, what a choice to make the black woman a angry woman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Not all reviews are positive. I found some pretty good about the problems on this first issue

some sites are always giving 9 and higher all the time to books from big two.

Monet is histerical on this first issue, what a choice to make the black woman a angry woman.
    That’s why I read reviews or summaries here first for books I’m unsure about. This is one. COTA is another because I wasn’t interested in the idea (but I may still change my mind and get it as a trade if people think it’s worth it)

There’s some people on this board that I respect their opinion.

In my experience, most psuedo professional comic book review websites give almost no negative criticism at all, to any book. Its largely due to access journalism. Even when a book has huge problems, they rarely give it less than a 7. And this is not just X books; all books, no matter how bad, are praised.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I understand that that's been a thing with Warren, but it still felt weird in a funny way that both of the people in charge of their high-stress financial stuff are in danger of, well, Hulking out if they get too stressed. I'm still not sure what exactly the point of X-Corp is and why it even needs to be a book.

I make a point about the silver age weirdness because this entire relaunch was styled as a super serious political/racial/sci-fi thing. The X-men have their own country and are not taking **** from anybody and this nation will be taken seriously unlike the other nations they've tried! And when I'm in that kind of headspace, I'm like "How the hell do they think floating giant chunks of landmass over other countries will go down?" Its hard to be both a high stakes political and racial thriller and have silly moments like this.

The floating island just isn't impressive. Basically anyone could do it with the level of tech in Marvel, and there's just not much point to it.
    The idea of the two people being in charge having anger issues makes more sense if you view it in a Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde situation instead of a Hulk situation. The Hulk is just a guy who turns into the Hulk because of anger issues.

Jeckyll and Hyde is a bit different. Jeckyll still turns into Hyde partly due to anger issues, but the transformation also happens because Jeckyll is trying to suppress evil and immoral personality traits. Jeckyll is basically a good person who is hiding a very violent and deviant personality that lurks underneath the surface. In the eyes of the public Dr. Jeckyll is well regarded doctor and philanthropist, with nobody suspecting that there is something evil lurking inside.

It's the same thing with Warren and Monet. On the surface they are good, upstanding citizens and philanthropists who are trying to make the world a better place. Which they probably are trying to do. What the public isn't supposed to know is that they are actually hiding unstable personalities behind their shiny surface. Nobody would like them if they knew what their other selves were like. They are fighting against their inner demons.

That's a lot different than Bruce Banner/Hulk. Nobody thinks that Banner is a good person.

As for the floating ship, I think that another member of this forum articulated it better than I did. The ship is meant to symbolize that the mutant corporation with it's high morals soars above the corrupt human corporations.

I think that people could be underestimating the amount of trouble that X-Corp could be in for letting the Flower plant in the Savage Land be destroyed. The solicitation for issue #2 says that X-Corp has fences to mend. This could possibly be a reference to the Savage Land Factory being destroyed. We will have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Thievery; 05-12-2021 at 08:33 PM.

After seeing SWORD's [gorgeous, interesting, stylish]launch, this was embarrassing. I don't know how, after bumbling through 20 issues of Excalibur, Howard managed to score another book... but this was clunky. Monet grew up an ambassadors daughter. She's never managed a business in her life. This corporate persona did not mesh well with her established canon. Bullying Warren didn't read well either; he's close to a decade older than her and actually did grow up with an entrepreneurial family, and has controlled their business personally over the years. I recently read Claremont's X-Treme X-pose story from decades ago ago, and his X-Corporation Warren reads so much better. The characterizations of Madrox and Trinary were all over the place too. Art and plot; pretty boring.

I feel like the concept of mutant business would be better served by smooshing this and Marauders; Warren(CXO), Emma(CXO), Shaw(Hellfire Distribution), Roberto(Brand Ambassador), Monet(Brand Ambassador), Trinary(Information Technology), Forge(Development), Prodigy(Development), Sage(cyber security), Bishop(security), Madrox(human resources) doing development, distribution, corporate sabotage/intrigue would be better. Get that dragon lawyer in here too.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

This was okay, my biggest issue is I felt like I was starting in the middle of an arc, not a first issue. Everything just sort of happened and I found myself wanting a bit more motivation for the characters. I thought the art was okay. Not amazing but definitely not bad.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    After seeing SWORD's [gorgeous, interesting, stylish]launch, this was embarrassing. I don't know how, after bumbling through 20 issues of Excalibur, Howard managed to score another book... but this was clunky. Monet grew up an ambassadors daughter. She's never managed a business in her life. This corporate persona did not mesh well with her established canon. Bullying Warren didn't read well either; he's close to a decade older than her and actually did grow up with an entrepreneurial family, and has controlled their business personally over the years. I recently read Claremont's X-Treme X-pose story from decades ago ago, and his X-Corporation Warren reads so much better. The characterizations of Madrox and Trinary were all over the place too. Art and plot; pretty boring.

I feel like the concept of mutant business would be better served by smooshing this and Marauders; Warren(CXO), Emma(CXO), Shaw(Hellfire Distribution), Roberto(Brand Ambassador), Monet(Brand Ambassador), Trinary(Information Technology), Forge(Development), Prodigy(Development), Sage(cyber security), Bishop(security), Madrox(human resources) doing development, distribution, corporate sabotage/intrigue would be better. Get that dragon lawyer in here too.
    I read Warren tolerating Monet bullying him a lot different. I read the story as Warren trying to stay calm despite Monet's treatment of him so that his Archangel personality would not take control over him. That's opposed by Monet's story, where she lets her stress over trying to help run X-Corp get the better of her and cause her to turn into Penance. Especially if she has never run a business in her life. I thought that you could tell that deep down Monet cared about Warren, as well as Madrox and Trinary. That's just my opinion.

Thought the issue was fine. My only thing is why she’s Penance. She have all of these abilities but can’t show them with penance showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    The gates already are a huge problem, then they come with a floating island? And they float it on a country that is a enemy. That could be considered a act of war

seems like krakoa skipped any class on diplomacy and international law.
    To be fair Brazil was holding Warren hostage so it was a rescue mission more than anything.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

Not exactly fair.

S.W.O.R.D. is operating on a whole other level.

this series wont make it passed 6 issues..

im dropping worst x book of the year